Division 1 College Conference Realignment

dfwabel

29 minutes ago, dfwabel said:

A breakaway would also end the NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament and March Madness as we know it.  That's also too much money to leave on the table.

Why?  They'd still be in NCAA, it's just that only they are in D1, and the rest of D1 is now D something else.

I mean, they should leave NCAA and the whole NCAA deserves to crumble to the ground, but I still don't understand why they can't be in their own division still within NCAA.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

18 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Since the big 5 conferences are really the only ones that always have a good chance at the playoffs and pretty much control everything, why don't they just make "Division 1" just those conferences, and have what's left of current FBS just be their own division?

If the reported Group of 5 playoff happened, this is what would happen.  But now that would create an even bigger gap between the Power 5 and Group of 5 and an even bigger gap for those not in FBS to deal with. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

17 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Why?  They'd still be in NCAA, it's just that only they are in D1, and the rest of D1 is now D something else.

I mean, they should leave NCAA and the whole NCAA deserves to crumble to the ground, but I still don't understand why they can't be in their own division still within NCAA.

The Power 5 is 65 teams in itself, so it would be its own division.  Those basketball tournament games and the betting interest would be less interesting than the status quo with "basketball only" conferences like the Big East, A-10, WCC in the mix.  There wouldn't be a Gonzaga, Villanova, or Loyola (not to just name Catholic-related institutions).

If they did a clean break, it would cost them more money overall because they'd basically start up a new business, with staff, brick and mortar HQ costs, and the entire process of making up their own rules/bylaws.  Getting those 65 school chancellors/presidents to decide on where the HQ would be is a debate, I would like to see along with the pitches from cities to go along with it. 

On 1/11/2019 at 7:57 PM, dfwabel said:

Yep.  Weber State is 100% as well.  Utah State and Wyoming isn't far behind at 97% and 96% respectively.

The Univ. of Kansas and Kansas State are 93% and 94%, respectively.  I had no idea until my son (11th grader) and I started just looking around online one afternoon.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

On 1/13/2019 at 4:29 PM, dfwabel said:

The Power 5 is 65 teams in itself, so it would be its own division.  Those basketball tournament games and the betting interest would be less interesting than the status quo with "basketball only" conferences like the Big East, A-10, WCC in the mix.  There wouldn't be a Gonzaga, Villanova, or Loyola (not to just name Catholic-related institutions).

If they did a clean break, it would cost them more money overall because they'd basically start up a new business, with staff, brick and mortar HQ costs, and the entire process of making up their own rules/bylaws.  Getting those 65 school chancellors/presidents to decide on where the HQ would be is a debate, I would like to see along with the pitches from cities to go along with it. 

I don't understand why football divisions have to equal basketball.  The 65 big football teams could be division 1 football, and division 1 basketball can just be whoever wants to be.  I think we're working too much within the confines of how the NCAA is currently shaped, but they already have more divisions for football than basketball, so they'd just be creating one more.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

2 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

I don't understand why football divisions have to equal basketball.  The 65 big football teams could be division 1 football, and division 1 basketball can just be whoever wants to be.  I think we're working too much within the confines of how the NCAA is currently shaped, but they already have more divisions for football than basketball, so they'd just be creating one more.

Bingo. Nobody seems to mind hockey, softball, water polo, and men’s volleyball being completely different.

VmWIn6B.png

16 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

But if they break completely from the NCAA, they would need to realign themselves as separate in all sports. If they simply are adding another football conference under NCAA rules then they will still be treated differently, pretty much like they are now when it comes to handing out bids in the basketball tournaments. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

6 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

But if they break completely from the NCAA, they would need to realign themselves as separate in all sports. If they simply are adding another football conference under NCAA rules then they will still be treated differently, pretty much like they are now when it comes to handing out bids in the basketball tournaments. 

You're not understanding what I'm saying at all.  I'm not suggesting breaking from NCAA.  I'm suggesting that the NCAA just make (for FOOTBALL ONLY)

• Division 1 (the big 5 conference teams)
  • Division 2 (the rest of the current FBS schools)
  • Division 3 (the FCS schools)
  • Division 4 (current Division 2)
  • Division LOL (everyone else)

Schools could potentially be "promoted" if a big 5 conference wants to add them, but I'm not suggesting a promotion/relegation system, as that would cause a million times more cheating than even what goes on now.

1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

You're not understanding what I'm saying at all.  I'm not suggesting breaking from NCAA.  I'm suggesting that the NCAA just make (for FOOTBALL ONLY)

• Division 1 (the big 5 conference teams)
  • Division 2 (the rest of the current FBS schools)
  • Division 3 (the FCS schools)
  • Division 4 (current Division 2)
  • Division LOL (everyone else)

Schools could potentially be "promoted" if a big 5 conference wants to add them, but I'm not suggesting a promotion/relegation system, as that would cause a million times more cheating than even what goes on now.

Bolded #1: There's the possibility that the new "Division 2 and 3" just refuse to play the new Division 1 and force that group of 65 schools to just schedule among themselves and it would be 6 home and 6 away games.  That is lost revenue not only from two or three fewer home games, but it's also likely to cost them more to pay a fellow member to play an away game.

https://www.underdogdynasty.com/2015/5/4/8505905/why-the-power-5-college-football-conferences-wont-break-away-from-the

Bolded #2: Antitrust cases are common for the NCAA attorneys and another division split may cause another headache.  Even in 2009, during the middle of the BCS, the then Power 6, were eventually looking at an antitrust trial, but the CFP was formed and more $$$ went to the lesser conferences combined with access to at least one CFP bowl game.
http://www.espn.com/college-football/news/story?id=4030992

Even if they remained in the NCAA, some of the issues brought up in this 2013 USA Today story would remain:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2013/04/21/college-football-ncaa-split/2097115/

Edited by dfwabel
added link

College conference alignment is an anti-trust thing? I wouldn’t have thought that. 

I’d wager that (for the bigger teams) financials would improve since they could get more for TV packages since there would be good games all through the season and not just once the teams are done beating up on sisters of the poor. 

For the Div 2 (in my system) teams, yeah they’d take a hit for losing their annual slaughters at the hands of the bigger teams. But that’s not my problem. 

College football sucks and the money that’s involved has corrupted it from the overall administration all the way down to the individual teams. It should be blown up, and the good players should play in a professional 22 and under league until they get drafted by NFL. Fire everyone, and put me in charge so I can spout off like this and then have my lackies make it happen. 

• 4 months later...

I was reading the bio for Charlie Jackson, the new head football coach at Kentucky State, when I came upon this little nugget:

"President Brown and Mrs. Thomas have outlined their plan to reclassify to NCAA Division 1 (FCS) status in the near future, and I am thrilled to lead the charge from a football perspective.”

Link: https://ksuthorobreds.com/coaches.aspx?rc=434&path=football

That's news to me. I tried to Google further articles and information about KSU's plan to reclassify, but I can't find anything. Has anyone else heard about this?

Just now, GDAWG said:

Does the MEAC need a new member? I don't pay attention to FCS but it looks like that they may need a new member with Savannah State leaving.

I worked in the MEAC and yes, they dropped to 9 teams since the new contract with the Celebration Bowl. There has been talk about expanding, or at the very least, teams that are interested in joining the MEAC. I won't name names, but there is at least one non-HBCU in the FCS that wants in. 

Would Kentucky State even have the financial resources to even consider a jump to Division 1?

The last two HBCU's to make this jump (Winston-Salem State and Savannah State) are back in Division II and a third HBCU, Morris Brown, doesn't even exist anymore. This would be a very, very risky gamble on their part. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Seadragon76 said:

Would Kentucky State even have the financial resources to even consider a jump to Division 1?

The last two HBCU's to make this jump (Winston-Salem State and Savannah State) are back in Division II and a third HBCU, Morris Brown, doesn't even exist anymore. This would be a very, very risky gamble on their part. 

The Southland Conference has had more success with former Division II schools with Abilene Christian, Incarnate Word and the University of New Orleans.  I wonder how many SWAC schools the Southland Conference would take in if that league was to fold?

Southland's got too many weak sisters (all of the Louisiana schools, for example) to add on a bunch of struggling HBCUs.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

18 minutes ago, rams80 said:

Southland's got too many weak sisters (all of the Louisiana schools, for example) to add on a bunch of struggling HBCUs.

So McNeese State, UNO, Nicholls State, SE Louisiana and NW State are all struggling?  I didn't think the Southland was doing that bad.

The budgetary climate for Louisiana higher ed isn't going to improve any time soon.

• Like 1
On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)