Division 1 College Conference Realignment

dfwabel

39 minutes ago, rams80 said:

Seadragon, what makes you think that NMSU would end up with a Mountain West or CUSA invite if they haven't gotten one already?

Um, did you notice that I said "could" in there, speedy? That doesn't mean that they will. All I'm saying that the potential for this has a chance... especially if New Mexico State wants to keep its football team at the FBS level because it's got to be a massive strain on them financially to remain as an Independent program (to which I'm sure dfwabel has the numbers to maybe either back it up or prove me wrong).

As for the other schools I mentioned...

-Utah Valley and Dixie State are pretty much in Big Sky territory, so that would be a perfect fit for these two. Hell, it would give Dixie State a football home as well. I also mentioned Seattle since they would be a decent rival for Eastern Washington... until I remembered that they were in the WCC a long time ago and would be a better fit there then the Big Sky.

-Let's be honest about Chicago State: They're god awful. They're the only team in this conference without a single conference title to their name... do you know how bad you have to be when your school can't even win an individual championship? To me, they ought to close up shop.

-UTRGV has been flirting with the Southland for years and why not? It's a Texas school and they would be in a conference with mostly Texas schools.

-Cal Baptist is the wild card here. They're in prime Big West territory... but the WCC could see potential in them as well.

I'm basically saying NMSU has already begged for at least MWC membership.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

8 hours ago, rams80 said:

I'm basically saying NMSU has already begged for at least MWC membership.

Hell, they've begged for at least Sun Belt membership. Granted I'd love to have them for basketball, but it seems unlikely, even if something wacky happens with Little Rock or Arlington.

1 hour ago, Wings said:

Should UCONN football go back to FCS?

I don't think they can after having that 40K seat stadium built solely for their ascent to Division 1A/FBS football.

Hotter Than July > Thriller

I guess the Civil ConFLiCT trophy will just stay on the field then.

This is a weird move with the Big East though. Granted, there’s the whole history thing but UConn is going to be a pretty obvious outlier in what’s become the Catholic Premier League.

VmWIn6B.png

On 6/22/2019 at 5:10 PM, 4_tattoos said:

I don't think they can after having that 40K seat stadium built solely for their ascent to Division 1A/FBS football.

It's not their stadium and it's not on campus. 

But they did tear down their old stadium to build a practice facility for their basketball teams. 

• Like 1

It's definitely a basketball move here by UConn. Part of the reasoning is that there's more competition for the hugely powerful women's basketball team (who hasn't lost a conference game since the formation of the American in 2013) in the Big East and the newly done television deal with ESPN isn't exactly that great (especially because most games would be behind the ESPN+ paywall)

Now, @LMU is right. They're the outlier in a league full of Catholic schools... but UConn is well known to most of these schools. There's tons of history between most of the core members before the big split and they're an associate member in field hockey.

1 hour ago, Seadragon76 said:

It's definitely a basketball move here by UConn. Part of the reasoning is that there's more competition for the hugely powerful women's basketball team (who hasn't lost a conference game since the formation of the American in 2013) in the Big East and the newly done television deal with ESPN isn't exactly that great (especially because most games would be behind the ESPN+ paywall)

Now, @LMU is right. They're the outlier in a league full of Catholic schools... but UConn is well known to most of these schools. There's tons of history between most of the core members before the big split and they're an associate member in field hockey.

And everyone that's freaking out about football may not realize this actually helps them in that they can pretty much pick their poison throughout the year. The only detriment to them is they will probably have to play their hardest games at the start of the year just to make sure they get games against the big boys. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

On ‎6‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 4:51 PM, Seadragon76 said:

Um, did you notice that I said "could" in there, speedy? That doesn't mean that they will. All I'm saying that the potential for this has a chance... especially if New Mexico State wants to keep its football team at the FBS level because it's got to be a massive strain on them financially to remain as an Independent program (to which I'm sure dfwabel has the numbers to maybe either back it up or prove me wrong).

As for the other schools I mentioned...

-Utah Valley and Dixie State are pretty much in Big Sky territory, so that would be a perfect fit for these two. Hell, it would give Dixie State a football home as well. I also mentioned Seattle since they would be a decent rival for Eastern Washington... until I remembered that they were in the WCC a long time ago and would be a better fit there then the Big Sky.

-Let's be honest about Chicago State: They're god awful. They're the only team in this conference without a single conference title to their name... do you know how bad you have to be when your school can't even win an individual championship? To me, they ought to close up shop.

-UTRGV has been flirting with the Southland for years and why not? It's a Texas school and they would be in a conference with mostly Texas schools.

-Cal Baptist is the wild card here. They're in prime Big West territory... but the WCC could see potential in them as well.

Does the Southland need another non-football school though?  I would think that they would want a 12th football school, but who knows since I don't think they do conference championship games in FCS football.

5 hours ago, Sykotyk said:

It's not their stadium and it's not on campus. 

But they did tear down their old stadium to build a practice facility for their basketball teams. 

Yeah man, the New England Patriots are totally going to move there if it opens up.

Real talk, Connecticut legislature authorizes the budget etc., and they probably aren't keen on that stadium becoming a white elephant.

• Like 1
On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

9 hours ago, GDAWG said:

Does the Southland need another non-football school though?  I would think that they would want a 12th football school, but who knows since I don't think they do conference championship games in FCS football.

It never hurts to have another Texas school on the roster. Plus, while there are schools in Texas that have football (looking at you, Division II Lone Star Conference), are any of them ready to make the leap to FCS level football (and Division I sports as well)?

The only FCS conference to do a championship game currently is the SWAC, but that's because they have it during the playoffs. Not only that, the winner goes to the Celebration Bowl against the MEAC champion. Before they got an automatic bid, the Pioneer League had a championship game as well.

13 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

And everyone that's freaking out about football may not realize this actually helps them in that they can pretty much pick their poison throughout the year. The only detriment to them is they will probably have to play their hardest games at the start of the year just to make sure they get games against the big boys. 

They're UConn.  Beggars cannot be choosers.  Little to no football media rights, unless they partner locally with SNY, and which opponents can they really bring in who aren't FCS like Stony Brook, Delaware State, or and IVY? I guess BYU will always take a call.

What can they honestly make as a schedule for 2020 outside the three homes games they have (Maine, Indiana, and UMass) and the road game at Illinois?

15 minutes ago, dfwabel said:

They're UConn.  Beggars cannot be choosers.  Little to no football media rights, unless they partner locally with SNY, and which opponents can they really bring in who aren't FCS like Stony Brook, Delaware State, or and IVY? I guess BYU will always take a call.

What can they honestly make as a schedule for 2020 outside the three homes games they have (Maine, Indiana, and UMass) and the road game at Illinois?

They'd have to go with the Army model. That's the simplest way to go. They may get that big payoff game at Michigan or Alabama, but they will also probably be looking at games against their old conference mates just to get 12 games in. Heck, Rutgers and Maryland may be very happy to host them early in the season or even in the middle of the Big Ten schedule. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

8 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

They'd have to go with the Army model. That's the simplest way to go. They may get that big payoff game at Michigan or Alabama, but they will also probably be looking at games against their old conference mates just to get 12 games in. Heck, Rutgers and Maryland may be very happy to host them early in the season or even in the middle of the Big Ten schedule. 

Rutgers has just one non-conference date available...in 2022.

Army is a national brand and is a draw.  UConn football isn't.