Division 1 College Conference Realignment

dfwabel

1 minute ago, dfwabel said:

Rutgers has just one non-conference date available...in 2022.

Army is a national brand and is a draw.  UConn isn't.

I'll agree that branding is one thing, but teams need to fill calendar dates and if the American doesn't have anyone to fill UConn's slots in 2020, they'll probably just play those games. At some point though, teams need to fill slots and UConn can help fill slots that would've been used on FCS schools. Scheduling is not as desperate as people make it out to be. The problem for UConn is not having a cut of the conference pie that they would have by staying put. I'm actually surprised this move is based more on basketball than football because the reason the original Big East broke up was football taking over as the major sport in their bigger schools. You should still be able to recruit the same areas you did before no matter what league you're in and supposedly this will help men's basketball with recruiting and women's basketball with tougher games. I think the first part is possible, I don't think that second part is true. 

• Like 1

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

• 3 months later...

Blope:

St. Thomas, subject approval of a waiver, is heading to the Summit League in 2021. The move comes two days after City Pages(a Twin Cities weekly) gave a good explanation why their soon to be former conference gave the Tommies their walking papers.

Edited by buzzcut
Stoopit spelchek.

MofnV2z.png

The CCSLC's resident Geelong Cats fan.

Viva La Vida or Death And All His Friends. Sounds like something from a Rocky & Bullwinkle story arc.

Like I mentioned before, this could give the Summit League football for the first time ever. That's a big deal.

In other realignment based moves:

-Tarleton State (TX) is heading to the WAC in 2020. Similar to fellow newcomer Dixie State, the Texans will become an FCS Independent program.

-Purdue Fort Wayne leaves the Summit for the Horizon. This move works better for the Mastodons since they'll be in a more centrally based league instead of being the eastern most school in a league that's looking to be more Great Plains based.

1 hour ago, Seadragon76 said:

Like I mentioned before, this could give the Summit League football for the first time ever. That's a big deal.

In other realignment based moves:

-Tarleton State (TX) is heading to the WAC in 2020. Similar to fellow newcomer Dixie State, the Texans will become an FCS Independent program.

-Purdue Fort Wayne leaves the Summit for the Horizon. This move works better for the Mastodons since they'll be in a more centrally based league instead of being the eastern most school in a league that's looking to be more Central based.

I wonder how long the WAC deal is going to be for Tarleton State?  Is it going to be like New Mexico State in which they are WAC in all sports except football?  Or are they going to eventually join the Southland Conference in all sports? Or will they join the Southland in Football only?

Tarleton State's move isn't official yet, but the idea is that they're going to be in the WAC for all sports outside of football, which will be an FCS independent.

This is... a strange move, to a degree. They're in danger of being under the six school limit to considered a legitimate conference next season. They're losing Cal State Bakersfield to the Big West and Kansas City to the Summit. In return, you have two D-II invites (Dixie State and Tarleton State) coming in as replacements. Cal Baptist will only be halfway through the reclassification process. The WAC is basically one move or Chicago State closure from being dead meat.

10 minutes ago, Seadragon76 said:

Tarleton State's move isn't official yet, but the idea is that they're going to be in the WAC for all sports outside of football, which will be an FCS independent.

This is... a strange move, to a degree. They're in danger of being under the six school limit to considered a legitimate conference next season. They're losing Cal State Bakersfield to the Big West and Kansas City to the Summit. In return, you have two D-II invites (Dixie State and Tarleton State) coming in as replacements. Cal Baptist will only be halfway through the reclassification process. The WAC is basically one move or Chicago State closure from being dead meat.

The move is strange because they have a football team.  They are also based out of Stephenville, Texas and there's already a conference in the FCS that features Texas schools that have football programs.  That's why I think Tarleton State will eventually end up in the Southland Conference after a few years.  It would also give them a 12th football playing school and balance out conference play. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/5/2019 at 11:06 AM, Seadragon76 said:

Consider that the WAC has two west coast religious schools that could both conceivably end up in the WCC in Seattle and Cal Baptist, should they wish to expand. Also, Grand Canyon is religious and could themselves end up in the WCC.

This conference is barely more stable than the Great West conference was. (Notice that the WAC features THREE former GWC members in UTRGV, UVU, and Chicago State.)

GoldenPanthers.png
RiverHawks.png

8 minutes ago, TrueYankee26 said:

Isn't Chicago State (not just athletics, the ENTIRE university) close to folding?

Yes... problem is that there's no real evidence of the school closing up shop any time soon.

If they don't, they can always drop their program to a lower level. Division II has the GLIAC, which has members that aren't too far off from where they are (Purdue Northwest, for example). In the NAIA, there's the Chicagoland Conference... perfect spot for them, if you ask me.

• 4 weeks later...
14 hours ago, MBurmy said:

New Mexico State is in the WAC as well and yet they are an Indie FBS, which is weird.  How long are they going to be in the WAC?  Because eventually I think both them and UT-Rio Grande Valley will join the Southland Conference.

Just now, GDAWG said:

New Mexico State is in the WAC as well and yet they are an Indie FBS, which is weird.  How long are they going to be in the WAC?  Because eventually I think both them and UT-Rio Grande Valley will join the Southland Conference.

I think Tarleton will join the Southland eventually too...but I got a feeling UTRGV will only join the Southland if they decide to start up a Vaqueros football program.

bYhYmxh.png

15 minutes ago, MBurmy said:

I think Tarleton will join the Southland eventually too...but I got a feeling UTRGV will only join the Southland if they decide to start up a Vaqueros football program.

The move to the Southland in Football also means that Tarleton will lose 77-0 to Baylor or Texas A&M in a few years. Not sure if they can do that as an independent. 

The Southland already has two non-football schools in the University of New Orleans and Texas A&M Corpus Christi. 

6 minutes ago, Wings said:

According to the Ft. Worth Star Telegram there are some at Tarleton State who think the WAC will eventually bring football back (Now that's funny).

That could be bad news and good news for New Mexico State.  It may mean that they may have to jump down to FCS if they want the football team to be in a conference again but I am not sure that New Mexico State wants to go down to FCS. 

2 hours ago, Wings said:

According to the Ft. Worth Star Telegram there are some at Tarleton State who think the WAC will eventually bring football back (Now that's funny).

The only way that's happening is if the WAC and the Big Sky have an alliance that gives them both football.

Let's just say that Dixie State, Tarleton State and New Mexico State are added to the Big Sky for football only. 16 teams is extremely difficult to pull off, so the two conferences create a plan that gives the two leagues football. The northern most schools (The Montana schools, the Idaho schools, the California trio, Eastern Washington and Portland State) make up the Big Sky and the southern most schools (Northern Colorado, the Utah schools, Northern Arizona, New Mexico State and Tarleton State) make up the WAC.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GDAWG said:

I am not sure that New Mexico State wants to go down to FCS. 

At this point, it would be the smart decision...let's see, do I want to try my luck for my 2nd bowl game in 60 years or be a national championship playoff contender?

bYhYmxh.png