Division 1 College Conference Realignment

dfwabel

1 hour ago, sc49erfan15 said:

NJIT from the ASun to the America East... maybe?

Makes too much sense to be true.

I'll second this.  NJIT in the A-Sun makes almost no sense.  They'd be fairly centrally located in the America East (or at least UMBC will make them centrally located).  At a minimum, they would be much closer to the other members.

And in the "You Learn Something New Every Day" category, I just learned that Stanford is an associate member of the America East in field hockey.  Who knew?

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

On 6/9/2020 at 6:19 PM, Red Wolf said:

Isn't Chicago State in a perpetual state of almost closing completely, let alone staying up in D1?

Very.  Nobody in their right mind would take Chicago State right now (not that a program that bailed on the Summit League because it was too hard to compete in would even consider signing on to the league that's a tier above from that.)

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

On 6/10/2020 at 8:16 PM, Dilbert said:

Because there is already an Indianapolis (University of Indianapolis). They are in division II. Now if they go the route that Indiana University Purdue University Fort Wayne did (Now Purdue Fort Wayne) and become say Indiana University Indianapolis it could be a little better.

Untangling IUPUI is considerably more complex than untangling Fort Wayne was.

• Like 2
On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

University of Indianapolis is already taken, Indianapolis State would be too close to Indiana State, and University of Indiana-Indianapolis is too clunky. Purdue University-Indianapolis works, but whatever - and PUI would just be nicknamed "Pooey."

Let the world have an Ooey Pooey. It's fun!

• Like 4

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

On 6/12/2020 at 3:38 PM, sc49erfan15 said:

NJIT to the America East is official.

No word yet from the (likely hung over) ASun commish.

I can't recall a conference move that became effective 19 days after the vote and announcement (or even within a few months, for that matter).

Feel free to correct me if my memory is failing me.

• Like 1

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

If I remember correctly, it was about that long between the announcement of IUPUI joining the Horizon League and when they were added.

Anyway, the moves that have been talked about are now official: NJIT heads to America East and Robert Morris goes to the Horizon League (as part of this move, the football program heads to the Big South in 2021 after a season of being an Independent)

• Like 1

On 6/10/2020 at 3:02 PM, GDAWG said:

Indiana University- Purdue University Indianapolis is quite a confusing name for a university. 

My undergrad degree comes from....

595851672d36d.image.jpg

Which is affiliated with neither Indiana University nor University of Pennsylvania, but is part of the "of Pennsylvania" state system of higher education and located in Indiana PA (the christmas tree capital of the world... and kinda sorta home of Jimmy Stewart.)

• Like 2

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

17 hours ago, Seadragon76 said:

If I remember correctly, it was about that long between the announcement of IUPUI joining the Horizon League and when they were added.

Anyway, the moves that have been talked about are now official: NJIT heads to America East and Robert Morris goes to the Horizon League (as part of this move, the football program heads to the Big South in 2021 after a season of being an Independent)

NJIT fits well in the America East.

On the other hand, RMU feels like an outlier in the Horizon League to me even though it shouldn't.  It isn't far at all from Cleveland State and Youngstown State, but the conference just seems more Midwestern to me.  I guess it's sort of like when Penn State joined the B1G.

2 hours ago, leopard88 said:

NJIT fits well in the America East.

On the other hand, RMU feels like an outlier in the Horizon League to me even though it shouldn't.  It isn't far at all from Cleveland State and Youngstown State, but the conference just seems more Midwestern to me.  I guess it's sort of like when Penn State joined the B1G.

That might be the best analogy for that move. I also feel that since RMU is so close to Pittsburgh, it helps with the ideal that the Horizon League is a league of hub cities... Chicago, Green Bay, Milwaukee, Indianapolis, Fort Wayne, Detroit, Cleveland, Dayton, Youngstown and now Pittsburgh.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Seadragon76 said:

That might be the best analogy for that move. I also feel that since RMU is so close to Pittsburgh, it helps with the ideal that the Horizon League is a league of hub cities... Chicago, Green Bay, Milwaukee, Indianapolis, Fort Wayne, Detroit, Cleveland, Dayton, Youngstown and now Pittsburgh.

That is probably a good description of the conference.

Upon further thought, the other reason that RMU seems like less of a fit to me is that it will be the only small private college in the conference other than Detroit Mercy.  Every other school is public and only Detroit Mercy and UWGB have fewer than 15,000 students.

1 hour ago, Seadragon76 said:

Don't forget..........Highland Heights, Kentucky!

Though we pretty much claim to be in Cincinnati anyway, since we're just as close, if not closer, to the airport than the actual city.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, floydnimrod said:

Don't forget..........Highland Heights, Kentucky!

Though we pretty much claim to be in Cincinnati anyway, since we're just as close, if not closer, to the airport than the actual city.

Yeah cant forget about Cincitucky

Signature intentionally left blank

23 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

My undergrad degree comes from....

595851672d36d.image.jpg

Which is affiliated with neither Indiana University nor University of Pennsylvania, but is part of the "of Pennsylvania" state system of higher education and located in Indiana PA (the christmas tree capital of the world... and kinda sorta home of Jimmy Stewart.)

There's also the California University of Pennsylvania in California, PA.