Division 1 College Conference Realignment

dfwabel

11 hours ago, Red Wolf said:

I don't understand how Chicago State is still D1 when every article I ever see about them is how the school is on the verge of shutting down entirely.

The athletes actually bolster enrollment.

• Like 1
On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

11 hours ago, Dilbert said:

Because if they leave they have control over who they schedule to play, bigger opponents, more revenue, better chances at a playoff spot, than in a non power 5. The Power 5 considers schools like BYU and Notre Dame to be power 5 schools, but not schools like UMASS or New Mexico State. However, as Independents, all have access to the college football playoff and new years six as at large bids. Scheduling more power 5 schools and beating them can earn them a higher chance of getting in.

ND is considered P5, but I wouldn't say BYU is. If they were during their undefeated run they would've been top 10, maybe even top 5 before losing to Coastal, instead of where they actually were in the mid teens.

ExJworW.png

19 minutes ago, nickp91 said:

Chicago State should have never been in the WAC in the first place

IIRC, they were kicked out of the Summit (back when it was the Mid-Continent Conference) for constantly finishing last back in the mid-00s.

So yeah, the WAC was desperate...which other D1 conference would take them?

bYhYmxh.png

1 hour ago, MBurmy said:

IIRC, they were kicked out of the Summit (back when it was the Mid-Continent Conference) for constantly finishing last back in the mid-00s.

The only options are the Summit League and the Horizon League and neither league really wants them because the Cougars are god awful (They're the only team in the WAC without any conference titles under their belt).

I think that D2, D3 or even dropping to NAIA might be their best bet. Each route has their advantages and disadvantages.

4 hours ago, MBurmy said:

Chicago State bailed, they weren't kicked (although life in the Summit League was apparently too hard for them, which again raises serious questions about why you are in D-1 to begin with since the Summit League is the league teams fresh out of D-2 join.)

• Like 1
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

15 hours ago, rams80 said:

The athletes actually bolster enrollment.

I remember one of the articles talking about their freshman enrollment being like 80-something several years back.

Central Arkansas is officially joining the Atlantic Sun, so I guess they're doing that weird plan where they expand to 20 or so and then split in half.

10 hours ago, Magic Dynasty said:

ND is considered P5, but I wouldn't say BYU is. If they were during their undefeated run they would've been top 10, maybe even top 5 before losing to Coastal, instead of where they actually were in the mid teens.

ACC, SEC and Big Ten all consider BYU power 5 for scheduling purposes. The Big Ten and SEC also consider Army as well.

Signature intentionally left blank

Let's not kid ourselves here, the WAC has been in desperation mode for years and I'm shocked that they got multiple D-I schools to fall for their shell game. The only thing keeping them alive has been bringing up D-II scabs.  I don't see how this FCS to FBS springboard plan has any chance to work here. 

VmWIn6B.png

18 hours ago, LMU said:

Let's not kid ourselves here, the WAC has been in desperation mode for years and I'm shocked that they got multiple D-I schools to fall for their shell game. The only thing keeping them alive has been bringing up D-II scabs.  I don't see how this FCS to FBS springboard plan has any chance to work here. 

It doesn’t. A quick glance at the Southland defectors’ budgets and facilities shows that they have no shot at going FBS. They reached out to New Mexico State to play football with them and NMSU said they had no intention of going FCS.

Same goes for the pipe dream of bizarro A-Sun going FBS in the future. I suspect neither they nor the WAC have any real designs on FBS, it’s just a thing for internet people to yammer on about. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, heavybass said:

Or I always consider Boise State to be a PAC-12 worthy member.... but an independent esc powerhouse like Notre Dame and Army works too.

Neither option works for me. The Pac-12 would want Boise to in with someone in order to keep the partner pairs equal and to keep some sort of order. Now, who would be willing to join Boise? Well, BYU is a decent option.. but you have to work around their 'No Sunday' rule (which isn't that difficult to work with). Idaho is another option, but who am I kidding?

Going Independent in football requires lots of money. Boise would need to get some sort of sweet heart deal with ESPN (Like BYU does) or Fox Sports (Who has the Mountain West deal right now)

Pretty sure all 4 California-based Pac 12 members would be no votes on that.

Today, we are all otaku.

UNLV football is a roaring trashfire and UNLV Men's basketball hasn't made the Dance since 2013 when really the last of Lon Kruger's recruits aged out; they are on their third coach since Kruger took the Oklahoma job.

Air Force has been worse in basketball and mediocre in football.

• Like 1
Today, we are all otaku.

34 minutes ago, Red Wolf said:

Nobody from the Mountain West has a chance at the Pac-12 unless something apocalyptic happens.

Well, the Pac-12 was looking into selling shares in itself not too long ago.

Not sure if this matters or not, but SDSU plays men's soccer in the PAC-12.