Division 1 College Conference Realignment

dfwabel

Texas A&M is openly complaining about the potential of the Longhorns coming into the SEC. What if A&M actually bites the financial bullet and leaves the conference if the Horns come in? What would the SEC do in that case?

Hotter Than July > Thriller

4 minutes ago, 4_tattoos said:

Texas A&M is openly complaining about the potential of the Longhorns coming into the SEC. What if A&M actually bites the financial bullet and leaves the conference if the Horns come in? What would the SEC do in that case?

Would losing A&M be worth it if they get UT and OU? I'd certainly think so. Leaves room for OK State

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Luigi74 said:

The Big Ten isn't going to add a school in a state they already have a member, so no ISU or Pitt.

Why wouldn't they? You're thinking about the TV angle like this is 10 years ago. Back then, TV markets were the driving factor. Now they don't matter, what matters if viewers. That's why the SEC is kicking the tires on Texas and OU. What does Texas get the SEC when it comes to markets? Nothing. What does OU bring? The 43rd biggest TV market in the country. That's not nothing but it's not as big as the viewership of OU and Texas would bring just because they're OU and Texas.

3 hours ago, heavybass said:

Big 10 will take West Virginia and Iowa State, ACC takes both Kansas and then the Pac 12 takes Baylor, TCU, Texas Tech and Oklahoma State.... if imploding is happening.

Who's your dealer? Seriously, I want whatever you're having. B1G ain't taking a school with academics the level of WVU.

• Like 4

Athletic Director: KTU Blue Grassers Football

6 hours ago, heavybass said:

Big 10 will take West Virginia and Iowa State, ACC takes both Kansas and then the Pac 12 takes Baylor, TCU, Texas Tech and Oklahoma State.... if imploding is happening.

Actually they’re talking now like the Big 12 would start poaching MWC and Pac-12 schools. Which if the latter happens you’d have to think would lead to the Pac-12 raiding the Mountain West.  Silly season has begun again!

I feel bad for TCU in particular. They spent all that time trying to join a power conference and once they finally broke through and got in one it promptly collapsed a few years later.

IMO them, Baylor, and Kansas State are the 3 schools that should be the most worried about being left without a seat when the music stops, as if the Big Ten or Pac-12 don’t want them (which I’d consider likely) their best option left is the American. Yikes.

• Like 1

ExJworW.png

9 hours ago, bosrs1 said:

Actually they’re talking now like the Big 12 would start poaching MWC and Pac-12 schools. Which if the latter happens you’d have to think would lead to the Pac-12 raiding the Mountain West.  Silly season has begun again!

No one from the PAC12 would move to a Big 12 that doesn't include Texas and Oklahoma, without those two schools the Big 12 is slightly more attractive than the AAC. The Big 12 will raid the AAC and MTN West for their better teams and the PAC12 will stay the same unless something crazy happens like the Big Ten expanding to 20 teams.

• Like 2

On 7/21/2021 at 4:04 PM, heavybass said:

Apparently if Oklahoma leaves, then Ok State has to go with them.

Not the case. A lot of that had to do with T. Boone Pickens who was a huge booster for Oklahoma State. With him passing away a couple years ago, any theoretical marriage between OU and OK State dissolved.

6 minutes ago, heavybass said:

So where does this leave:

Kansas State
Oklahoma State
Texas Tech
Baylor
TCU
West Virginia

The most obvious of all of these is West Virginia to the ACC. As for the other 5, I think at least 2 (Texas Tech and Oklahoma State) end up in the Pac-12, maybe Baylor and TCU as well but those are unlikely because IIRC the Pac has a long standing "no religious schools" policy. Kansas State is the most screwed out of everyone, and will probably have to accept life as a member of the AAC.

ExJworW.png

4 minutes ago, heavybass said:

So where does this leave:

Kansas State
Oklahoma State
Texas Tech
Baylor
TCU
West Virginia

Raiding the MTN West and AAC for their better schools and basically form a new conference that would use the Big 12 name.

I can't see the Big 10 adding Kansas and Iowa State just to help them out or as a knee jerk reaction to what the SEC is doing.

Maybe the PAC12 looks east and takes Texas Tech, OK State, Kansas and maybe New Mexico or Houston to get to 16 with two 8 team divisions that sort of make geographical sense.

43 minutes ago, Luigi74 said:

Maybe the PAC12 looks east and takes Texas Tech, OK State, Kansas and maybe New Mexico or Houston to get to 16 with two 8 team divisions that sort of make geographical sense.

As a Colorado fan I'd like to see the Pac12 at least bring in Colorado State and Boise State into the fold, those certainly make sense geographically. CU/CSU is already a rivalry game and Boise State could fill that niche for Utah...the Pac12 tried to manufacturer a rivalry game between Colorado and Utah, but that's just not the same. 

As a side note, when the Pac12 expanded last I never did understand why they didn't just take the number of teams out of the conference name. Something like the Mountain Pacific (I know, close to the Mountain West, but still) makes a lot more sense given that they have many teams not on the Pacific coast and in the Rockies region.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Luigi74 said:

Raiding the MTN West and AAC for their better schools and basically form a new conference that would use the Big 12 name.

I can't see the Big 10 adding Kansas and Iowa State just to help them out or as a knee jerk reaction to what the SEC is doing.

Texas Tech and OK State would make some sense for the Pac 12.  Both have large alumni bases in Texas and recruit down there.  Adding both of them to the Pac 12 gives the conference a major inroad to the Lone Star State.  Here in DFW, Texas Tech is one of the colleges covered by the local sports broadcasts due to the large number of alumni from Texas Tech here and that they also recruit here.

5 hours ago, heavybass said:

We definetly  be seeing the death of the Big 12 conference within the next week.

Jesus if the SEC and Big 10 start hoovering up the Big 12 you'd have to think the Pac-12 will make some move to expand too, right? 

3 hours ago, Skycast said:

As a Colorado fan I'd like to see the Pac12 at least bring in Colorado State and Boise State into the fold, those certainly make sense geographically. CU/CSU is already a rivalry game and Boise State could fill that niche for Utah...the Pac12 tried to manufacturer a rivalry game between Colorado and Utah, but that's just not the same. 

As a side note, when the Pac12 expanded last I never did understand why they didn't just take the number of teams out of the conference name. Something like the Mountain Pacific (I know, close to the Mountain West, but still) makes a lot more sense given that they have many teams not on the Pacific coast and in the Rockies region.

History. The Pac-8, Pac-10, now Pac-12 is a very old historic name that no one wants messed with, particularly those involved with the old guard schools which are all on the coast. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, bosrs1 said:

Jesus if the SEC and Big 10 start hoovering up the Big 12 you'd have to think the Pac-12 will make some move to expand too, right? 

Pac 12 would take Oklahoma State and Texas Tech, fits their structure well. And if they drop their policy on private schools.... Baylor and TCU as well.

Kansas State is the only one literally screwed here... ACC would their port of call.

• Like 1

This is getting weirder by the hour:

Spoiler

Click at your own risk.

Edited by buzzcut
Warning message.

MofnV2z.png

The CCSLC's resident Geelong Cats fan.

Viva La Vida or Death And All His Friends. Sounds like something from a Rocky & Bullwinkle story arc.