Division 1 College Conference Realignment

dfwabel

5 minutes ago, Red Comet said:

As a Missouri fan, I’m glad we left the Big XII before Texas collapsed another conference yet again. 

I wonder who else is going to participate in the partition of the Big XII?

Are we thinking Big XII partition/disillusion is the far more likely outcome rather than the Big XII trying to save itself and acquire replacements? 

20 minutes ago, bosrs1 said:

Are we thinking Big XII partition/disillusion is the far more likely outcome rather than the Big XII trying to save itself and acquire replacements? 

They just lost the two Crown Jewels of their conference. KU and at least one other school (rumored to be Iowa State) is already talking to the Big 10. Party is over, man. I really wanted Missouri to stay in the Big 12, but the greed coming out of Austin made that impossible. 

In a just world, Texas wouldn’t be welcome in any conference and forced to be an independent team. 

• Like 2

After thinking it over, I think WVU's only hope is if ND joins the league. Since that's not happening, there's no way in hell WVU and _______ moves the needle enough to justify adding teams and re-doing the TV deal.

Kansas and Iowa State to the B1G screams basketball move (despite the Cyclones recent football success) and I don't know if the B1G is really going to take on a football team as bad as Kansas just to bolster the basketball brand and turn El Assico into a conference game.

If we don't see a Pac 16 or 20 (why would they do 20 and have a team in Morgantown, WV?), we're gonna see the AAC calling the Big XII teams. One of the podcasts I was listening today (may have been The Audible from Friday, it all blends together when I have it on while working lol) made a good point that Aresco can make the argument of "Bowlsby was asleep at the wheel. Why don't you come over here where you'll actually be valued?"

Athletic Director: KTU Blue Grassers Football

I wasn't trying to say that they're as bad as Kansas, just that a move to take ISU and Kansas would be mostly basketball motivated which would be a dumb move in a world were the breadwinner for every conference is football. 

26 minutes ago, NormMacdonald said:

I can't wait for the 2030s when the SEC gets obliterated by some bone headed Texan rube

And that’s the thing. They were the refugees coming into the Big 8 after crashing the Southwest Conference and yet somehow they get to dictate that the HQ move from Kansas City to Texas. They were the ones who started their own network and caused the first round of realignment and now they get to be in the SEC. Screw this dumb Earth, I want off (sponsored by Amazon).

• Like 5

2 hours ago, bosrs1 said:

Are we thinking Big XII partition/disillusion...

Dissolution, as in the act or process of dismissing, dissolving, ending, or separating an assembly, body, or partnership into component parts.

Of course, I'm quite sure that many fans of the Big XII and its member-institutions besides Texas and Oklahoma are feeling mighty disillusioned right now. 

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, Brian in Boston said:

Dissolution, as in the act or process of dismissing, dissolving, ending, or separating an assembly, body, or partnership into component parts.

Of course, I'm quite sure that many fans of the Big XII and its member-institutions besides Texas and Oklahoma are feeling mighty disillusioned right now. 

Autocorrect is a :censored:...

• Like 2

I will gladly welcome WVU to the ACC. if the Big XII falls apart.

Seriously though, :censored: the SEC and it's greed. I hope this crap backfires horribly on everyone and the sport (and other major revenue sports) can realize their mistakes and return to some alignments that make actual geographical sense and don't just help the blue bloods. 

AM-JKLUm-gD6dFoY5MvQGgjXb2rzP7kMTHmGf8UsR6KOCYQnHU-0HSFi-zjXHepGDckUAHcduu3pVgvwxe06RKDW2y2Z2BmhEOe8OP-WSY1XqLT9KsQ0ZP75J9loQuNrvLW208pEWCg9jq8aNx-zFneH9aPQQA=w800-h112-no?authuser=0

spacer.png

12 hours ago, GriffinM6 said:

Seriously though, :censored: the SEC and it's greed. I hope this crap backfires horribly on everyone and the sport (and other major revenue sports) can realize their mistakes and return to some alignments that make actual geographical sense and don't just help the blue bloods. 

Greg Sankey: Hold my Bud Light.

Yep, this is just phase one of the SEC's attempt to 

Spoiler

NAPALM

the NCAA out of existence.

MofnV2z.png

The CCSLC's resident Geelong Cats fan.

Viva La Vida or Death And All His Friends. Sounds like something from a Rocky & Bullwinkle story arc.

12 hours ago, GriffinM6 said:

1. Texas and OU went to the SEC and asked to be let in. It's not like the SEC sought them out.

2. Although expanding, the SEC geographical footprint is pretty mild compared to some. Oklahoma and Texas are often considered part of "The South", and really although Missouri is the only state not considered part of the region, the southern part where I've lived pretty much my whole life, is not far from the south. We border Arkansas, Kentucky and Tennessee. In fact, there is no state in the SEC separated from another SEC state, i.e. West Virginia from the rest of the Big XII.

• Like 3

The NAIA says, "hi." The NCAA isn't really needed.

The NCAA is really just the schools and if they want to create a new governing body, they can. It wouldn't surprise me to see multiple new governing bodies but I doubt it happens. I think the NCAA sticks around more for centralized eligibility standards while we see a less centralized sports governance structure.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Geoff said:

The NAIA says, "hi." The NCAA isn't really needed.

The NCAA is really just the schools and if they want to create a new governing body, they can. It wouldn't surprise me to see multiple new governing bodies but I doubt it happens. I think the NCAA sticks around more for centralized eligibility standards while we see a less centralized sports governance structure.

Graduated from an NAIA school myself so it’s nice to see that someone else knows about that organization. 

I think there’s still going to be an NCAA but what it is now versus what it will be in the next decade will probably be so different to the point it’s unrecognizable. Without cracking down on players earning pennies, it’ll probably be more like the UN than the FBI as it will just be a meeting place for the various conferences, run the basketball tournament and very little more. 

• Like 1

Feels like there would be more sense in the Big XII poaching some AAC teams, like UCF, Houston, Cincinnati, and Memphis, no?

I feel like either way you still have a second tier conference that lacks any star power, for lack of a better term, but at least that way some of the deadweight gets shed.

But then again it's probably ESPN behind all this, so what makes sense to them is what matters. 

• Like 2

IUe6Hvh.png