Division 1 College Conference Realignment

dfwabel

4 hours ago, See Red said:

Feels like there would be more sense in the Big XII poaching some AAC teams, like UCF, Houston, Cincinnati, and Memphis, no?

I feel like either way you still have a second tier conference that lacks any star power, for lack of a better term, but at least that way some of the deadweight gets shed.

But then again it's probably ESPN behind all this, so what makes sense to them is what matters. 

ESPN is the one pulling the strings, if the Big 12 goes kaput Texas & Oklahoma can start SEC play before 2025 and the remaining Big 12 schools combined with the AAC is an upgrade from the current AAC. 

Bowlsby is fighting this since he's out of a high paying cushy job that pretty much anybody could do.

32 minutes ago, Luigi74 said:

ESPN is the one pulling the strings, if the Big 12 goes kaput Texas & Oklahoma can start SEC play before 2025 and the remaining Big 12 schools combined with the AAC is an upgrade from the current AAC. 

Bowlsby is fighting this since he's out of a high paying cushy job that a 5th grader could do.

Sure, but surely the best case scenario if P4 invites don't happen is that the eight Big XII teams stay together, get every penny owed by Texas and OU (maybe win a lawsuit against ESPN?), and bring on a handful of AAC programs (UCF, Houston, Memphis, Cincinatti) that would actually contribute to a better media deal.  Whatever money they get is going to be a huge step down from what they were getting but I don't see how Ok State joining the AAC and now having to share money with programs like ECU and Tulsa is an option. 

IUe6Hvh.png

Fun fact.

As of summer 2020, the American Athletic Office moved its HQ to Irving, TX.  Who else is in Irving, TX?  

...The Big XII

...and one better, they're in the same damn office park.

AAC HQ - 545 E John W Carpenter Fwy, Irving, TX 75062

Big XII HQ - 400 E John Carpenter Fwy, Irving, TX 75062

See For Yourself

• Like 11

1 hour ago, TBGKon said:

Fun fact.

As of summer 2020, the American Athletic Office moved its HQ to Irving, TX.  Who else is in Irving, TX?  

...The Big XII

See For Yourself

10 hours ago, See Red said:

Feels like there would be more sense in the Big XII poaching some AAC teams, like UCF, Houston, Cincinnati, and Memphis, no?

I feel like either way you still have a second tier conference that lacks any star power, for lack of a better term, but at least that way some of the deadweight gets shed.

But then again it's probably ESPN behind all this, so what makes sense to them is what matters. 

The Big XII has been dying for over a decade. I doubt any of the remaining members want to remain in a conference where the commissioner said just days before this all leaked that conference realignment wasn't a thing at this time. Bowlsby has bungled this whole thing and has been reactive since. It seems like he hasn't even tried to improve the future of the conference, likely because he knows it's dead. The best thing he and the remaining 8 can do is say, "sure , y'all can leave for 2023 ... if you pay us everything."

Athletic Director: KTU Blue Grassers Football

1 hour ago, Geoff said:

The Big XII has been dying for over a decade. I doubt any of the remaining members want to remain in a conference where the commissioner said just days before this all leaked that conference realignment wasn't a thing at this time. Bowlsby has bungled this whole thing and has been reactive since. It seems like he hasn't even tried to improve the future of the conference, likely because he knows it's dead. The best thing he and the remaining 8 can do is say, "sure , y'all can leave for 2023 ... if you pay us everything."

Yeah the XII is dead. Now it's just a matter of where everyone ends up when the music stops. And who if anyone takes their place in the Power 5. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TBGKon said:

Fun fact.

...The Big XII

See For Yourself

I did hear merger rumors between those two.

HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM.

On 7/25/2021 at 9:42 PM, Geoff said:

The greatest thing of the whole realignment will be if Liberty is still stuck without a conference when the music stops.

based. kick their asses back down to FCS while we're at it.

• Like 6

53Ocz8U.png

2 minutes ago, See Red said:

Wouldn't the ACC picking up the best remnants of the Big XII (Baylor, WVU, Kansas, other) be the play here?

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

2 minutes ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

Wouldn't the ACC picking up the best remnants of the Big XII (Baylor, WVU, Kansas, other) be the play here?

They would take WVU but if they want team #16 it would be them:

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

They need Notre Dame as a full-time member and then one from the Big XII .   I think ND's the one school out there that makes the Big Ten or ACC member schools more money.

Without Notre Dame, I think there's always a fear Clemson and FSU bolt for the SEC first chance they get. Although the hurdle for leaving the ACC is higher than it was for OU/Texas. 

On the plus side, this whole thing may be terrible for college football but it is definitely bad for Baylor, which is good. 

• Like 1

IUe6Hvh.png

3 hours ago, Gary said:

I can see Kansas and Iowa State going to the Big Ten. With the rest being gobbled up by AAC. With the exception of Texas Tech and Oklahoma State going to the PAC 12

The Big Ten would want Kansas for Basketball.  Bill Self and Tom Izzo in the same conference would be a high profile coaching matchup in basketball every year. 

At this point:

Baylor-American

Iowa State- Big Ten

Kansas -Big Ten

Kansas State-American

Oklahoma- SEC

Oklahoma State- Pac 12

TCU-American

Texas-SEC

Texas Tech- Pac 12

West Virginia-ACC

Disband the Big XII, give the American their automatic bid. The Big XII has been a joke ever since they got West Virginia to join.

• Like 4

Signature intentionally left blank

11 hours ago, GDAWG said:

The Big Ten would want Kansas for Basketball.  Bill Self and Tom Izzo in the same conference would be a high profile coaching matchup in basketball every year. 

Would they?  I'm not so sure. Football drives things and Kansas football is a meme while Iowa State is better, it'sstill historically mediocre.  ISU isn't great at basketball and neither bring much to the table for non-revenue sports.  Ultimately, does their addition bring more money to the B10 schools?  I say no.

I just don't see shoring up basketball as a response to what the SEC is doing.

Eff it... Big Ten should raid the Pac 12.  Or merge, I guess. 

IUe6Hvh.png

19 minutes ago, See Red said:

Would they?  I'm not so sure. Football drives things and Kansas football is a meme while Iowa State is better, it'sstill historically mediocre.  ISU isn't great at basketball and neither bring much to the table for non-revenue sports.  Ultimately, does their addition bring more money to the B10 schools?  I say no.

I just don't see shoring up basketball as a response to what the SEC is doing.

Eff it... Big Ten should raid the Pac 12.  Or merge, I guess. 

Kansas basketball would give them another Goliath, and Kansas is at a minimum decent in everything except for football. It also gives the Big Ten West a patsy until Kansas catches up to Illinois. Iowa State gives the Big Ten a Top 25 football team, possibly top 10 some seasons and a pretty good basketball team. As long as they maintain that, they'll make money for the league. I blame Michigan for keeping Notre Dame out of the league a century ago, but if they led the charge to get Notre Dame in full time, they do play hockey in the Big Ten, I think they would look at joining. With Notre Dame's NBC contract, make the weeks Notre Dame is on the road a Big Ten (or ACC if ND goes there) game of the week and get a little more money in that way.

CBS will have the main channel open with the SEC moving completely to ESPN, so that's another option for the Big XII/AAC conglomerate to keep getting eyes on the league. The worst part of all this is that the SEC contract will get more money in for their teams but the G5 schools will get hosed even more.

I also have to believe that this will all but ensure the 12 team playoffs, because the SEC will have a bunch of teams with 2 to 3 losses and still trying to proclaim they deserve a place in the playoffs because of how tough the league is. 

• Like 3

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png