Division 1 College Conference Realignment

dfwabel

Just now, heavybass said:

Also the AAC will probably take 3-4 members from the C-USA... I'll say Rice, North Texas and Marshall

I agree with @sportsfan7's approach...the AAC is going to go for Rice and Marshall first, with UAB as their first choice for #3 and Buffalo as their second choice.

bYhYmxh.png

Why would they want Rice? I get they're in Houston, but they add absolutely nothing. Maybe if Rice actually cared about football it would make sense. North Texas is another I don't see getting added unless SMU leaves, but I don't think SMU gets taken for basically the same reason, which is that UNT, SMU, and TCU are all in the DFW area.

I don't see UConn coming back, nor do I see the American wanting them back unless it's as a full member. The American is going to be down to just seven full-time members, so adding a truly wretched UConn as football-only seems pointless.

Schools I think will be looked at are:

• Appalachian State
  • Louisiana
  • UAB
  • Buffalo
  • One of FAU or FIU
  • If they want another Texas school, then maybe like UTSA? There really aren't many good options at this point down there.

30 minutes ago, Red Wolf said:

Why would they want Rice? I get they're in Houston, but they add absolutely nothing. Maybe if Rice actually cared about football it would make sense. North Texas is another I don't see getting added unless SMU leaves, but I don't think SMU gets taken for basically the same reason, which is that UNT, SMU, and TCU are all in the DFW area.

I don't see UConn coming back, nor do I see the American wanting them back unless it's as a full member. The American is going to be down to just seven full-time members, so adding a truly wretched UConn as football-only seems pointless.

Schools I think will be looked at are:

• Appalachian State
  • Louisiana
  • UAB
  • Buffalo
  • One of FAU or FIU
  • If they want another Texas school, then maybe like UTSA? There really aren't many good options at this point down there.

I think Marshall and Coastal Carolina could be added to that list.

bYhYmxh.png

46 minutes ago, Burmy said:

I think Marshall and Coastal Carolina could be added to that list.

Maybe Marshall. The problem with Coastal is that they've only had the one good season, so I'm not sure I would make such a commitment to a school just on that.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Red Wolf said:

Why would they want Rice? I get they're in Houston, but they add absolutely nothing. Maybe if Rice actually cared about football it would make sense.

Rice is an AAU member located in the fourth (soon-to-be third) largest city in the US, but more importantly, they were a Power Conference school for over 80 years.

Here is a list of all former Power Conference members (Post-WWII)

Rice - SWC 1915-1995 WAC 1996-2004 CUSA 2005-

SMU - SWC 1918-1995 WAC 1996-2004 CUSA 2005-2012 AAC 2013- 

*UH - Ind 1960-1975 SWC 1976-1995 CUSA 1996-2012 AAC 2013-

**UConn - Ind 2000-2003 Big East 2004-2012 AAC 2013-2019 Ind 2020-

***Temple - Ind 1971-1990 Big East 1991-2004 Ind 2005-2006 MAC 2007-2011 Big East 2012 AAC 2013-

****Cincy - CUSA 1996-2004 Big East 2005-2012 AAC 2013-

*****USF - CUSA 2003-2004 Big East 2005-2012 AAC 2013-

Idaho - PCC 1922-1959 Minor Program 1960-

Montana - PCC 1922-1949 Minor Program 1950-

******Tulane - SEC 1932-1965 Ind 1966-1995 CUSA 1996-2013 AAC 2014-

*UH joined the SWC in basketball in 1972, was slated to join the Big East before its dissolution, and is set to join the Big 12

**UConn was a basketball playing member of the Big East from 1979-2013 and 2020-

***Temple was a basketball playing member of the A10 from 1982-2013

****Cincy was a basketball playing member of the Metro from 1975-1991 and of the GMC from 1991-1996, and is set to join the Big 12

*****USF was a basketball playing member of the Metro from 1991-1995 and joined CUSA in basketball in 1996

******Tulane was a basketball playing member of the Metro from 1975-1985 and 1989-1991 and of the GMC from 1991-1996, with the program shut down due to a point shaving scandal from 1985-1989

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, sportsfan7 said:

Rice is an AAU member located in the fourth (soon-to-be third) largest city in the US, but more importantly, they were a Power Conference school for over 80 years.

But how much does it matter when nobody in the market cares? Conference USA went hard on grabbing up teams in larger markets regardless of whether they had a following and it led to them being surpassed by the Sun Belt and becoming the worst G5 conference. The fact that Rice was in a major conference three decades ago hardly seems relevant when they've put forth no effort into athletics.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, heavybass said:

It's a better take than say beg Uconn to rejoin.

1. It's the Falwell's school

If that's not enough

2. Ian McCaw

Some of y'all's obsession with insisting the hierarchy is the same it was 10 years ago is weird. Like, are we watching the same sport? Some of y'all seem to think it's a requirement for the AAC  to go to CUSA then CUSA to SBC then SBC to FCS.

I think you're going to see the AAC look at schools with a commitment to athletics and specifically football. I've been hearing UAB for a while and Georgia State as possibilities. Georgia State would get the AAC into Georgia making recruiting easier for some teams. The bought the Undead Ted to refurb it into a pretty damn nice stadium and the surrounding area is being revamped to get away from being a commuter school. Both UAB and Georgia State are urban campuses which fits the overall culture of the league. 

One thing I'm intrigued about, has the change in leadership in Boise been enough to smooth over the relationship with the MWC? If not, does the AAC look west again to woo Boise State? Even if rocky, does Boise State view the AAC as more ideal even without UCF, Cinci, and Houston? 

Athletic Director: KTU Blue Grassers Football

I guess we can assume that the championship of the Big XII basketball tournament won't be played on a Sunday.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

I'm still not sold that everything holds for the next few years.  Texas and Oklahoma leaving the B12 is a huge blow, and once theyre gone would narrow the gap between the bottom of the Power 5 (probably the Big 12) and the top of the Group of 5 (presumably the AAC or MWC).  Fringe schools like Iowa State, Kansas, Texas Tech, TCU, and Baylor could look to move.

...and who knows what happens in the SEC, Big Ten, or even the ACC and Pac12.  Shifts could still be brewing...

• Like 1