Division 1 College Conference Realignment

dfwabel

3 hours ago, heavybass said:

BYU has jumped the gun and accepted the offer to join the Big 12... though their conference is in two hours.

What a dork.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

On 9/5/2021 at 1:15 PM, heavybass said:

Still not going to shake off the fact that the AAC might have to beg to get UConn to rejoin.

I don't think they'll need to. UConn will probably be happier to be in a league where they can compete.  If the AAC says they can join just for football I think they'd be back. 

1 hour ago, heavybass said:

BYU was the 2nd team to accept and now....

The Bearcats have accepted the Big 12 invite.

I'd have liked to see them in the Big Ten to take players away from Michigan State and that other school, but I'm also glad they aren't because I'd like to see them and Ohio State do well. I'd also like them to start doing a round robin with OSU, Michigan and Michigan State as far as playing home and away games. I think this will help them, especially if the "Alliance" brings in the Big XII to set up games to start the season. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

On 9/5/2021 at 7:17 PM, Geoff said:

1. It's the Falwell's school

If that's not enough

2. Ian McCaw

Some of y'all's obsession with insisting the hierarchy is the same it was 10 years ago is weird. Like, are we watching the same sport? Some of y'all seem to think it's a requirement for the AAC  to go to CUSA then CUSA to SBC then SBC to FCS.

I think you're going to see the AAC look at schools with a commitment to athletics and specifically football. I've been hearing UAB for a while and Georgia State as possibilities. Georgia State would get the AAC into Georgia making recruiting easier for some teams. The bought the Undead Ted to refurb it into a pretty damn nice stadium and the surrounding area is being revamped to get away from being a commuter school. Both UAB and Georgia State are urban campuses which fits the overall culture of the league. 

One thing I'm intrigued about, has the change in leadership in Boise been enough to smooth over the relationship with the MWC? If not, does the AAC look west again to woo Boise State? Even if rocky, does Boise State view the AAC as more ideal even without UCF, Cinci, and Houston? 

I think the travel issue is what would make Boise State stay where they are. If they were joining the Big XII, the costs are immaterial. To the AAC, they aren't getting those bigger numbers that they would if they played Kansas and Iowa State to make up for the cost of the trip east. 

45 minutes ago, Wings2 said:

Guessing this would be the divisional alignment:

EAST

Cincinnati 

Iowa State

Kansas

Kansas State 

UCF

West Virginia 

WEST

Baylor

BYU

Houston

Oklahoma State

TCU

Texas Tech

I think they'd probably keep the current set up so they can guarantee the two best teams are the ones that play in the championship. I can see the SEC doing that too when Texas and Oklahoma come in. Imagine the SEC West with all those strong teams and the East with just Florida and Georgia. It could actually weaken Alabama over time if they start losing 2-3 games a year within just the SEC. 

2 hours ago, heavybass said:

Houston is the first team to accept the invitation from the Big 12, Houston returns to being a Power 5 team.

https://uhcougars.com/news/2021/9/9/general-university-of-houston-accepts-invitation-to-join-big-12-conference.aspx

Should have gotten this when Missouri and A&M left. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Am I the only one who thinks the PAC should be very worried right now? They already have a huge geography problem being on the west coast in a sport that's dominated by the south and the east, they don't have ESPN in their corner, and they've been way too inflexible when it comes to realignment. All they have to show for it now is a scheduling agreement with two stronger conferences that don't need the PAC as much as the PAC needs them.

I'm not even sure they're in a better position than the new Big 12, especially if the rumors of a second round of Big 12 expansion come true. At least the Big 12 is being aggressive in trying to stay afloat. The PAC is just sitting on their hands and watching college sports change around them.

All those wasted years with Larry Scott in charge are looking really bad right now.

• Like 1

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

28 minutes ago, Lights Out said:

Am I the only one who thinks the PAC should be very worried right now? They already have a huge geography problem being on the west coast in a sport that's dominated by the south and the east, they don't have ESPN in their corner, and they've been way too inflexible when it comes to realignment. All they have to show for it now is a scheduling agreement with two stronger conferences that don't need the PAC as much as the PAC needs them.

I'm not even sure they're in a better position than the new Big 12, especially if the rumors of a second round of Big 12 expansion come true. At least the Big 12 is being aggressive in trying to stay afloat. The PAC is just sitting on their hands and watching college sports change around them.

All those wasted years with Larry Scott in charge are looking really bad right now.

Not only that, but the PAC-12 has become much less relevant in football and men's BB as a whole.  The conference hasn't been to the College Football Playoff since 2016. In men's BB, it has become, at best, a 4-bid league, which is not great for a Power 5 conference.

GoldenPanthers.png
RiverHawks.png

2 hours ago, Wings2 said:

Guessing this would be the divisional alignment:

EAST

Cincinnati 

Iowa State

Kansas

Kansas State 

UCF

West Virginia 

WEST

Baylor

BYU

Houston

Oklahoma State

TCU

Texas Tech

Or you could split up the Texas teams:

EAST

Baylor

Cincinnati

Houston

Iowa State

UCF

West Virginia 

WEST

BYU

Kansas

Kansas State 

Oklahoma State

TCU

Texas Tech

2 hours ago, heavybass said:

I was figuring North/South

North
BYU
Iowa State
Cincy
Kansas
Kansas State
West Virginia

South
Baylor
Texas Tech
TCU
Oklahoma State
Houston
UCF

This lineup would mean a lot of travel miles for BYU, UCF & WV. I think they need to keep the three eastern schools together, and BYU in the West.

9 hours ago, heavybass said:

Big 12 is going to be buying out all the BYU sports at WCC for 1 mil... that's how serious they want BYU.

And again its a major shift in power.

You think $1M is a lot of money in this situation?

• Like 3

Athletic Director: KTU Blue Grassers Football

6 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

I think the travel issue is what would make Boise State stay where they are. If they were joining the Big XII, the costs are immaterial. To the AAC, they aren't getting those bigger numbers that they would if they played Kansas and Iowa State to make up for the cost of the trip east. 

I think they'd probably keep the current set up so they can guarantee the two best teams are the ones that play in the championship. I can see the SEC doing that too when Texas and Oklahoma come in. Imagine the SEC West with all those strong teams and the East with just Florida and Georgia. It could actually weaken Alabama over time if they start losing 2-3 games a year within just the SEC. 

Should have gotten this when Missouri and A&M left. 

UT and OU joining the SEC moves Bama and Auburn to the East. Shift Mizzou to the West.

7 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

I don't think they'll need to. UConn will probably be happier to be in a league where they can compete.  If the AAC says they can join just for football I think they'd be back.

I'm sure UConn would be fine if they were offered football-only membership to the American, but the question is if the American is okay with that. The Big XII raid leaves the American at 8 full-time members (one being non-football in Wichita State) which I would think they need to fix before grabbing one of the saddest football programs in the country.

7 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

Apparently the BYU AD has said there will be divisions. The SEC couldn't do that under the current rules* because you have to play a round-robin schedule or have divisions in which everybody plays everybody else in their division.

*Keeping in mind that the rules can change if somebody important enough asks, such as when the Big XII got approval to hold a football championship game with less than 12 teams, thus giving us the round-robin rule. The Sun Belt is thankful for that one.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, heavybass said:

It is when you get BYU Basketball in the mix to go with Baylor and the likes.... now that Gonzaga might be leaving since one of their big rivals is gone.

All you're doing is making my point. $1M is not a lot of money in this situation.

I'm honestly not sure what you're trying to say. It seems you're saying it's a lot of money to pay just for BYU basketball while at the same time you also seem to be saying it isn't a lot of money because Gonzaga might leave the WCC due to lack of BYU and financial motivation to stay.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Geoff said:

UT and OU joining the SEC moves Bama and Auburn to the East. Shift Mizzou to the West.

I would be surprised if the SEC didn't go with a pods + annual rivalry setup. Sankey's already acknowledged they need to rotate schools to different campuses with greater frequency, which simply isn't possible by keeping the current structure after expansion.  Best setup I've seen is four pods of four teams.

A. Oklahoma, Texas, Texas A&M, Missouri

B. Alabama, Auburn, Vanderbilt, Tennessee

C. Florida, Georgia, South Carolina, Kentucky

D. LSU, Mississippi, Mississippi State, Arkansas

Each school would have one annual rival from each other pod.  This gets every school to every stadium at least once every six years, compared to the current setup where Florida hasn't played at Auburn since 2011 and won't for a while. 

Whatever two pods play eachother in a given year become a de facto division. 

IUe6Hvh.png

I totally forgot about pods when I posted that. I do think they'll do pods (much to the delight of the robot Bill Connelly). Point still remains that if they stayed with divisions, the E/W split is easy to remedy.

I think we're gonna see the pods you've laid out which makes me laugh because it's "HEY WE HAVE THE SEC AND A THIRD OF THE BIG XII!" Sticking the old Big XII guys together makes too much sense.

Amazing. Mizzou leaves the SEC because we’re sick of Texas ruining yet another conference and now one of the projected ideas is to put us in the same division as them.

Inviting the Southwest Conference refugees into the Big 8 was a mistake.

50 minutes ago, Red Comet said:

Inviting the Southwest Conference refugees into the Big 8 was a mistake.

I'm starting to agree with you...largely because I would've liked to see the WAC or C-USA as a power conference at some point.

bYhYmxh.png