Division 1 College Conference Realignment

dfwabel

2 hours ago, Burmy said:

I honestly think that Colorado State and Air Force could be beneficial for the American...not only would they give Wichita State a close rival, but having Air Force on board could sweeten the pot for Army to join (at least as a football-only member).  Only roadblock is, I assume it's essential to both schools that the Army-Navy Game be the very last game of the FBS regular season and get a weekend all to itself, so I don't know how that would work out if it was an intraconference game.

And of course, who would the Mountain West look to pick up to replace any departing teams? (My guesses would be Montana, Montana State, Eastern Washington and Portland State, with Northern Colorado being an alternate pick should one of these four decline)

For the Army-Navy Game, I think they'd make a deal so that it's never a conference matchup and they continue it as an OOC on it's own week thing. UNC and Wake Forest have scheduled OOC games with each other before, so it's not unprecedented.

For right now, I think the Mountain West will stand pat at 10. I'm sure they'd like to have the Montana duo, but there's nothing that says they want to move up to FBS (in fact, Montana had the chance in 2010 and turned it down). Maybe they'll take a swing at North and South Dakota State, but they probably wouldn't want to leave their in state rivalries behind and the travel would be much worse than in the Missouri Valley. From FBS, it's pretty slim pickings. If the conference wanted UTEP or New Mexico State they'd already be in by now, and what other options are there - North Texas? UTSA? Rice? The MWC is pretty boxed in by their geography, especially after (potentially) losing their Colorado members.

The real wild card pick would be Gonzaga and Saint Mary's, but as with the Montanas/Dakotas I'm not sure they'd want to join.

ExJworW.png

If the Mountain West hypothetically loses Colorado State and Air Force to the American, and Boise State to the Big XII, then you still have nine football playing teams. They can just play a standard eight-game conference schedule and pit the two best teams in a championship game. I doubt UTEP and NMSU bring enough to make it worth splitting any money with them. I also have my doubts about calling up any FCS schools.

They could maybe try and snag the other C-USA Texas teams, which worked with TCU, but Rice, UNT, and UTSA are decidedly not TCU.

27 minutes ago, Magic Dynasty said:

UNC and Wake Forest have scheduled OOC games with each other before, so it's not unprecedented.

True, but in the ACC rotation, the Wake-UNC game eventually happens.  They only schedule it as OOC when they arent scheduled to play.  I dont think you could do that every year, it would eventually have to be a conference game.

23 hours ago, Red Wolf said:

Sounds like they just shouldn't schedule those sports against Hawaii then since they're a football-only member.

Good point, that slipped my mind.

Athletic Director: KTU Blue Grassers Football

11 hours ago, heavybass said:

Probably looks dumb so i don't believe it.

Did you just quote yourself? 😂

Also, I don't think Matt Brown cares if you believe it or not. He's fairly tied in on a lot of topics on the administration side of college athletics and was the one who broke the Austin Peay to the ASUN news last week.

8 hours ago, Magic Dynasty said:

For the Army-Navy Game, I think they'd make a deal so that it's never a conference matchup and they continue it as an OOC on it's own week thing. UNC and Wake Forest have scheduled OOC games with each other before, so it's not unprecedented.

For right now, I think the Mountain West will stand pat at 10. I'm sure they'd like to have the Montana duo, but there's nothing that says they want to move up to FBS (in fact, Montana had the chance in 2010 and turned it down). Maybe they'll take a swing at North and South Dakota State, but they probably wouldn't want to leave their in state rivalries behind and the travel would be much worse than in the Missouri Valley. From FBS, it's pretty slim pickings. If the conference wanted UTEP or New Mexico State they'd already be in by now, and what other options are there - North Texas? UTSA? Rice? The MWC is pretty boxed in by their geography, especially after (potentially) losing their Colorado members.

The real wild card pick would be Gonzaga and Saint Mary's, but as with the Montanas/Dakotas I'm not sure they'd want to join.

Does the Mountain West really want two non-football schools?

7 hours ago, GDAWG said:

Does the Mountain West really want two non-football schools?

No. That’s the moneymaker sport and their primary sport, as well. Wouldn’t make any sense for them to replace football schools with non-football schools. Might as well throw in the towel at that point.

Belmont to the Missouri Valley, Murray State glancing at the exit.

Future OVC member Western Illinois depicted below 

https://tenor.com/view/troy-community-pizza-fire-childish-gambino-gif-5638752

• Like 1
On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

4 hours ago, rams80 said:

Belmont to the Missouri Valley, Murray State glancing at the exit.

Future OVC member Western Illinois depicted below 

https://tenor.com/view/troy-community-pizza-fire-childish-gambino-gif-5638752

Now, where would Murray State end up?  If not the Missouri Valley, I'm guessing the ASun.  (I would have been ambitious and seen if the Sun Belt would work out, but it turns out Roy Stewart Stadium is nowhere near suitable for FBS-the grandstands are only one on side)

Just goes to show how mighty the Missouri Valley has gotten as a conference (I'm still hoping the Big East can make a "trade" with 'em, Loyola Chicago for DePaul).

bYhYmxh.png

41 minutes ago, heavybass said:

Ah a new FCS team, lovely :)

It's a needed move for the Southland as they're down to six football playing schools and they're not getting a tomato can of a program - the Lions were national champions in 2017 and are a traditionally good program. This is a nice move.

I do wish they would also add UT-Permian Basin myself, but I don't see them being ready for such a move.

I wish West Florida would make the jump up to FCS but I know the majority of the facilities, outside of the pool, football facility, and playing games at the Blue Wahoos' stadium, need MASSIVE upgrades or renovations and they did when I was there a decade ago. 

• Like 2

On 9/26/2021 at 10:54 AM, Seadragon76 said:

It's a needed move for the Southland as they're down to six football playing schools and they're not getting a tomato can of a program - the Lions were national champions in 2017 and are a traditionally good program. This is a nice move.

I do wish they would also add UT-Permian Basin myself, but I don't see them being ready for such a move.

Doesn't West Texas A&M have the facilities to go to the FCS?

30 minutes ago, GDAWG said:

I believe they do, but they don't want to move because it puts the Lone Star Conference in a pickle in terms of football.

With Commerce planning to leave, they're down to seven football playing schools in a 17 member conference. Losing West Texas A&M puts the conference in a danger zone at six schools, but I don't think that there is a membership requirement for football since automatic bids for the playoffs are a little wonky.

6 hours ago, GDAWG said:

They have a new stadium.

They also live in a postapocalyptic hellscape hundreds of miles from the next closest FCS school.

(New stadium has more amenities but a lot smaller capacity.)

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)