Division 1 College Conference Realignment

dfwabel

And forgot to mention that in today's newsletter, Matt talked about other D2 schools looking to make the jump including three that interest me: the big boys of the Gulf South - Valdosta State, West Georgia, and West Florida. 

Others he listed as interested in moving up: Grand Valley State (how have they not already?), Lincoln Memorial, Lindenwood (not surprised, they're gonna announced D1 hockey ... someday), Queens University, and Central Oklahoma. 

Athletic Director: KTU Blue Grassers Football

1 hour ago, BBTV said:

What's the gap in level of play between FCS and high-level D2?

I'd put if like this. If you ranked FCS programs into 4 tiers, I'd say the top tier  D2 teams can beat the 3rd and 4th tier FCS teams most times. D2's top tier can be competitive  with, and occasionally beat 2nd tier FCS. Top tier D2 usually can't compete with and rarely ever beats top tier FCS schools.

I feel there's a bigger overlap in the talent level between FCS and D2 than between FBS and FCS. There's many FCS players that should be at a D2 school, and many D2 players that could be at an FCS school.

• Like 1

Hotter Than July > Thriller

14 hours ago, Magic Dynasty said:

A couple of follow ups from Norlander:

So does SDSU think they can go Big XII too? I know travel would be a concern, in either the Mountain West without Boise or in a nationwide AAC, but you run into the same thing with a nationwide Big XII. If you, and others, are concerned about Thompson's leadership, you should probably GTFO when given the chance.

Speaking of Thompson, he was decently respected nationally and around the league just a few years ago. What happened?  I'm wondering if these other schools are worried he's being too slow on expansion.

2 hours ago, Dilbert said:

Tell that to West Virginia

Or UCF, or BYU.

With the recent statements by some Big 12 ADs (I think Texas Tech and Iowa State were the most vocal ones), I won't be surprised if the Big 12's not done expanding yet. However, I wouldn't hold my breath if I'm San Diego State, as I think Memphis easily gets in over them. Unless they want to go to 16, but that seems pretty unlikely.

ExJworW.png

On 9/28/2021 at 12:34 PM, Geoff said:

And forgot to mention that in today's newsletter, Matt talked about other D2 schools looking to make the jump including three that interest me: the big boys of the Gulf South - Valdosta State, West Georgia, and West Florida. 

Others he listed as interested in moving up: Grand Valley State (how have they not already?), Lincoln Memorial, Lindenwood (not surprised, they're gonna announced D1 hockey ... someday), Queens University, and Central Oklahoma. 

Those Gulf South schools are prime Atlantic Sun (oh, ahem.. ASUN) fodder. Those three would give the conference 10 football playing schools and 16 overall, which is dangerous for any conference. They may end up losing Liberty in the whole musical chairs going on here, but it might be something to look at.

As for the others you mentioned..

Grand Valley State - Horizon League

Lincoln Memorial - Ohio Valley (They need bodies in that league, stat)

Lindenwood (MO) - Summit League

Queens University - Big South

Central Oklahoma - Southland (I've heard rumors linking them and West Texas A&M to the Southland)

With all this talk of D2 schools moving up (particularly as successful as former GLVC schools have been in making the leap)...I wonder if my hometown D2 school Wisconsin-Parkside has ever thought of making the jump up?  (They are working on making some major renovations to their athletic facilities, after all)

bYhYmxh.png

1 hour ago, Seadragon76 said:

Those Gulf South schools are prime Atlantic Sun (oh, ahem.. ASUN) fodder. Those three would give the conference 10 football playing schools and 16 overall, which is dangerous for any conference. They may end up losing Liberty in the whole musical chairs going on here, but it might be something to look at.

As for the others you mentioned..

Grand Valley State - Horizon League

Lincoln Memorial - Ohio Valley (They need bodies in that league, stat)

Lindenwood (MO) - Summit League

Queens University - Big South

Central Oklahoma - Southland (I've heard rumors linking them and West Texas A&M to the Southland)

ASUN is what I was thinking as well but I guess it depends if the league actually plans on moving up to FBS eventually. UWF still hasn't started their on-campus stadium (they set up temporary bleachers for a game this year and had over 5k people but the keyword was temporary) and the Blue Wahoos stadium doesn't hold nearly enough for FBS ball even if that's 10 years down the road.

9 hours ago, Burmy said:

With all this talk of D2 schools moving up (particularly as successful as former GLVC schools have been in making the leap)...I wonder if my hometown D2 school Wisconsin-Parkside has ever thought of making the jump up?  (They are working on making some major renovations to their athletic facilities, after all)

It's not Parkside looking to make the move up, but a former conference foe that is looking into it: Southern Indiana.

2 hours ago, Seadragon76 said:

FBS might not even be the goal for the Argos. FCS is a very good level and the school might use that as an advantage.

It is a possibility or was at one point but I think they eventually settle on staying FCS. 

The plans for the on-campus stadium in a 30-year masterplan of facilities upgrades had, if I remember correctly, six stages with the stadium eventually getting to a little over 30k. It doesn't have to go through all six but it would if they ever plan to go FBS or attendance dictates. I think going to FBS is more likely than attendance forcing their hand. 

There would also be a new arena on-campus. The school still uses the UWF Field House for basketball and volleyball. That seats a little over 1k so it wouldn't be the smallest D1 basketball venue but the arena would allow the school to move commencements to campus.

I haven't talked to my bud who I worked in the SID's office with but he still on the SID staff so I might have to hit him up soon.

On 9/28/2021 at 2:34 PM, Geoff said:

Grand Valley even in FCS would be a mistake IMO.  Competing with Wayne State or Michigan Tech and the like for recruits is one thing. But to continue that same level of success in FCS means digging from the same talent pool as Michigan, Michigan State, and the MAC schools.

North Dakota State got away with it because they're the top program in a fairly large swatch of the country. Grand Valley wouldn't have such a luxury.