Division 1 College Conference Realignment

dfwabel

Will the big 12 add teams now? Who else will the pac 10 add? Utah? Tcu? Byu? Boise? Fresno? Hawaii?

Your English tutor before they commit suicide.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

The Big 12 isn't adding anyone. They are giving up the championship game (unless they get a waiver, which I doubt they will get) and going with a 10 team league.

One of the big losers in this appears to be Jerry Jones and his Jerryworld as the Big 12 championship game games scheduled for there won't be taking place.

I can flat out guarantee the Pac 10 won't take Boise State. All they literally have is the football team-everything else is historically sub par athletically, and academically the school is little more than a jumped up junior college.

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

The Big 12 isn't adding anyone. They are giving up the championship game (unless they get a waiver, which I doubt they will get) and going with a 10 team league.

One of the big losers in this appears to be Jerry Jones and his Jerryworld as the Big 12 championship game games scheduled for there won't be taking place.

He just must wait until 2016 when Texas/OU can move from the Cotton Bowl (unless there is a buyout before then).

I can flat out guarantee the Pac 10 won't take Boise State. All they literally have is the football team-everything else is historically sub par athletically, and academically the school is little more than a jumped up junior college.

Or maybe it's because the Mountain West Conference already took them.

Just a thought.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Or maybe it's because the Mountain West Conference already took them.

Just a thought.

I'm pretty sure Boise State's deal included verbiage that allowed them to renege on that move in the quite unlikely event that an even better offer were to surface.

Today, we are all otaku.

Now that it looks like the BIG XII will survive after all and drastic conference realignment and expansion will not take place, it looks like two conferences will need new names.

Big Ten - call it the Big Midwest Conference.

Big XII - just go back to calling it the Southwest Conference again. Although Iowa State is far from Southwest.

Now its your turn. Suggest new names for the BIG XII and Big Ten here.

LibertyBowl.png

Big XII-Texas and the Nine Dwarfs (Somebody, I forget who, owns the rights to the Southwest Conference Moniker. Which is a shame because this is the spiritual reincarnation of the Southwest Conference-complete with pending Texas-induced disintegration)

Big Ten-Big Ten

Today, we are all otaku.

From all the reports I've seen and read, it won't be Boise. Utah is on the top of the Pac-11's list right now.

Pac-10 is going network. Their top three people have TV experience: Larry Scott, Kevin Weiberg, and Chris Bevilacqua.

A Pac-10 Network would have potential exposure in these markets:

2 Los Angeles, CA

6 San Francisco-Oakland-San Jose, CA

12 Phoenix, AZ

13 Seattle-Tacoma, WA

16 Denver, CO

20 Sacramento-Stockton-Modesto, CA

22 Portland, OR

28 San Diego, CA

31 Salt Lake City, UT

42 Las Vegas, NV

55 Fresno-Visalia, CA

The markets of Big XII-Lite are:

5 Dallas-Ft. Worth, TX

10 Houston, TX

21 St. Louis, MO (split with Illinois)

32 Kansas City, MO (split with Nebraska)

37 San Antonio, TX

44 Albuquerque-Santa Fe, NM (from Tech)

45 Oklahoma City, OK

48 Austin, TX

61 Tulsa, OK

I still think that the Pac-10 wins.

EDIT: The new TV deal, if true and signed, will not allow for schools to transfer conferences for X years. The MVC is out of an AQ until the requirement is recalculated. Contracts can still be broken though, so the lessers could still try to make a better deal.

Seeing as the Atlantic 10 Conference has 14 teams and the Great West Conference has a team located in New Jersey, I think DI conference's have moved past trying to have accurate names.

Why does this matter to a conference anymore? It's out in the open now that it's all about money and competitiveness. That's not a bad thing. In fact it's good that they're no longer living a lie.

Also, back to my earlier question - what happens to Villanova, Georgetown, ODU, et al who are essentially basketball only schools if these super conferences just go ahead and form their own playoff system? Certainly they wouldn't let the A-10 or Little East join in... right?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."