Division 1 College Conference Realignment

dfwabel

Okay. Now where does Pac-10 go from here?

It seems as if they're now going to be stuck at 11 teams, and I don't think they will be at all satisfied at that number, and only having added just Colorado. There are no more elite schools to pick from, as the remainder of the Big XII has all but formed their own alliance. So does this mean they look to the Mountain West or WAC? I don't there there is ANY school from either of those two conferences who make the Pac-10 a better conference overall. Maybe adding Utah or BYU would be a bit of an upgrade, but I truly think they'd make a better fit as the two teams who complete the new Big XII.

6uXNWAo.png

Okay. Now where does Pac-10 go from here?

It seems as if they're now going to be stuck at 11 teams, and I don't think they will be at all satisfied at that number, and only having added just Colorado. There are no more elite schools to pick from, as the Big XII has all but formed their own alliance. So does this mean they look to the Mountain West or WAC? I don't there there is ANY school from either of those two conferences who make the Pac-10 a better conference. Maybe adding Utah or BYU would be a bit of an upgrade, but I truly think they'd make a better fit as the two teams who complete the new Big XII.

They're almost certainly going to go after Utah from what I've heard, giving them the SLC market. If the Big XII wants to go back to 12 teams I could see them going after TCU and BYU.

6fQjS3M.png

I think BYU and Utah would be perfect candidates, that and UNLV would be perfect to join the Pac-11 and make it the Pacific 14. If I were the Big XII, i'd go for teams like Houston, TCU and Rice as they'd be perfect geographical partners

Seeing as the Atlantic 10 Conference has 14 teams and the Great West Conference has a team located in New Jersey, I think DI conference's have moved past trying to have accurate names.

Don't get me started on the Big West. My cousin plays for NYIT's baseball team (located on Long Island) and plays in... you guessed it, the Big West :P

Big West (Of the Atlantic Ocean) Conference

I wouldn't be suprised if the Big 10 justifies their name by saying something like, "all of our schools are 10 out of 10s!" rolleyes.gif

Other than Michigan it's true. tongue.gif

Yes with RRod, we shall be 5 out of 10 until he is fired. OSU on the other hand will still be 0 for in my eyes :P

You know the trash talk will continue until one of us dies lol

I think BYU and Utah would be perfect candidates, that and UNLV would be perfect to join the Pac-11 and make it the Pacific 14. If I were the Big XII, i'd go for teams like Houston, TCU and Rice as they'd be perfect geographical partners

Makes perfect sense geographically, the pac-10 would get the Las vegas & salt lake markets, and the Big 12 would get the dallas and houston markets

Makes perfect sense geographically, the pac-10 would get the Las vegas & salt lake markets, and the Big 12 would get the dallas and houston markets

Umm... they already have those markets...

6fQjS3M.png

I wouldn't be suprised if the Big 10 justifies their name by saying something like, "all of our schools are 10 out of 10s!" rolleyes.gif

Other than Michigan it's true. tongue.gif

Yes with RRod, we shall be 5 out of 10 until he is fired. OSU on the other hand will still be 0 for in my eyes :P

You know the trash talk will continue until one of us dies lol

Who are you trying to kid? We both know this will carry over into the afterlife.

BB52Big.jpg

Fortunately the designer made a "12" variant.

Oh...

If I'm the Mountain West, I'm going to be trying my hardest to put a package together for some combination of Kansas, Missouri, Oklahoma State, Texas Tech, and Kansas State.

This "alleged" TV deal didn't save the Big XII. It merely postponed the execution.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Oh...

If I'm the Mountain West, I'm going to be trying my hardest to put a package together for some combination of Kansas, Missouri, Oklahoma State, Texas Tech, and Kansas State.

This "alleged" TV deal didn't save the Big XII. It merely postponed the execution.

There is still an issue beyond 2016, but the have-nots, like Baylor, just doubled what they were getting previously. The MWC does not even have a current contract in place to give them what they were receiving 48 hours ago. Some of those schools are dancing all the way to the bank and not that concerned about Texas/OU/aTm getting $6 million more than they are.

What did they have to give up to double their take? Only loyalty to the conference, which they wanted to maintain anyway.

Oh...

There is still an issue beyond 2016, but the have-nots, like Baylor, just doubled what they were getting previously. The MWC does not even have a current contract in place to give them what they were receiving 48 hours ago. Some of those schools are dancing all the way to the bank and not that concerned about Texas/OU/aTm getting $6 million more than they are.

What did they have to give up to double their take? Only loyalty to the conference, which they wanted to maintain anyway.

I would have thought you would have caught on to this, but this newfangled Big XII deal doesn't officially exist in contractual form either. All they have are assurances from Dan Beebe. The numbers could end up being pure fiction and everything could once again blow up in a couple of weeks.

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Texas has announced already that they are staying in the Big 12, so the SEC is off the table for now. Plus that was something that I don't think Texas would want as the SEC deal with ESPN turns over all the league inventory to them. Texas wants to start their own network, which the Big 12 is allowing them to do that the other conferences wouldn't allow....

That's not entirely accurate... In discussions I've heard and seen in the media, it's been pointed out that Texas is looking to have what LSU has under the SEC, a third-tier form of network called "TigerVision". Essentially what it means is that ALL LSU games are televised live in some form or another. Through their contracts with the SEC, CBS has first "right of refusal" to broadcast a game, then ESPN, then if neither of those big boys exercise their option (say, for a home tilt against Colorwerx's alma mater N. Texas ^_^)then the game goes to TigerVision, which is a pay-per-view deal via cable, satellite, on-line, etc.

However, this is only done within the borders of the state of Louisiana. Outside of the state, the same TigerVision games are only offered on ESPN Gameplan... obviously the devil is in the details...

Georgia has the same thing when their game isn't picked up by CBS or one of the ESPN family of networks...a PPV game through CSS.

Oh...

I would have thought you would have caught on to this, but this newfangled Big XII deal doesn't officially exist in contractual form either. All they have are assurances from Dan Beebe. The numbers could end up being pure fiction and everything could once again blow up in a couple of weeks.

There is no dobut that he he assuming that his deal will go up since the ACC's doubled. He admitted that in his white paper to schools. Beebe's letter to the schools which was critical of both the Big Ten and Pac-10 may haunt him as long as he keeps this job.

From USA Today:

John Mansell, a sports media consultant based in Great Falls, Va., specializing in the valuation of regional sports networks, believes the Big 12 schools could see those projections being reached because of ESPN/ABC's and/or Fox's desire to not have to compete with a Big 12 Network and because "there are many more players than there were 10 years ago" seeking high-profile sports programming.

He cited Comcast-owned Versus, which made a bid for NFL games and carries NHL games; the NFL Network, which has carried college football; and Turner Broadcasting's TBS and TNT, which will be involved in the new NCAA men's basketball tournament contract.

His purported deal does far more than double the Big Twelve's money. And the ACC hadn't lost any teams-let alone their 3rd largest market and one of their nationally prominent flagships. Those losses also weaken the earning potential of any future Big XII Network, because the subscriber footprint just lost two states.

Turner and Versus weren't going to go that far over the top for a highly regionalized Conference in the Great Plains that has a footprint of just Iowa, Missouri, Kansas, Oklahoma, and Texas-especially when the biggest school/market/what have you is planning on launching its own network.

Today, we are all otaku.

His purported deal does far more than double the Big Twelve's money. And the ACC hadn't lost any teams-let alone their 3rd largest market and one of their nationally prominent flagships. Those losses also weaken the earning potential of any future Big XII Network, because the subscriber footprint just lost two states.

Turner and Versus weren't going to go that far over the top for a highly regionalized Conference in the Great Plains that has a footprint of just Iowa, Missouri, Kansas, Oklahoma, and Texas-especially when the biggest school/market/what have you is planning on launching its own network.

The Fox Sports Net contract runs out in 2012, but the Sports Business Daily and that source again, Chip Brown, reports that FSN will renew that contract for four additional years at an increase of 200-250%.

FSN Details