Division 1 College Conference Realignment

dfwabel

What's the end goal of all this realignment?

On one end I see conferences like the Mountain West either becoming the WAC 2.0 (as if it wasn't already) or dissolving, while on the other end I feel like we're eventually going to see 40-60 schools leave the NCAA to start their own league. 

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

1 hour ago, kolob said:

What's the end goal of all this realignment?

On one end I see conferences like the Mountain West either becoming the WAC 2.0 (as if it wasn't already) or dissolving, while on the other end I feel like we're eventually going to see 40-60 schools leave the NCAA to start their own league. 

If the Mountain West goes bye-bye, it will essentially just become the Pac-12, but with the MWC's position within the hierarchy of the Group of 5 schools. If any schools/conference leave the NCAA, it would be the Power 4. The Group of 5 and FCS on down don't have enough clout to jump ship. Any Group of 5 school who wants to leave the NCAA, at that point, would have to hope a Power 4 conference will take them in.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 4_tattoos said:

What about Cal-Davis?

It's UC Davis not Cal-Davis.

And in my opinion they'd be the way better option than Sac State. It's the same market but Davis has the larger student body and alumni base, great academics and research, is located in a great college town and isn't a commuter school (way more school pride), is better historically than Sac State in football, and has stadium that they way can more easily expand. However, idk if Davis really wants to move up while Sac State obviously does, which is a shame because UC Davis has the profile that even the old Pac would have allowed if the athletics were up to par. Just look at the facilities...

UC Davis 

640px-UC_Davis_Health_Stadium_aerial_vie

UC-Davis-Pavilion-5841.jpg

Sac State

Sacramento-State-Field.jpg

23_mbb_crowd.jpg&type=webp

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DCarp1231 said:

I miss when conferences were region based.

Same here. Also when conference had a maximum amount of 10 schools. Plus for football purposes, it would had worked the 12-game model for full regular season purposes (with a round-robin of 9 conference games), and a potential conference championship game between the top 2 teams within those conferences (before the division-less Big XII, yup I said it, came up with the idea so late in 2017 since losing the 12 team threshold).

14 minutes ago, 4_tattoos said:

I started following D2 sports closer for this reason.

Me too, also with D3 sports and those from mid-major athletic organizations like the NAIA.

• Like 1
Florida State Seminoles fan for life (mostly on football, basketball and baseball)! 2011-12 ACC men's basketball conference tournament champions; 2012, 2013 & 2014 ACC football Atlantic Division champions; 2012, 2013 & 2014 ACC football regular season champions; 2012, 2013 & 2014 ACC football conference bowl tournament champions; 2014 NCAA D-I FBS BCS national champions!

Sac State wants to build a new 25k stadium and they outright said they are not only pursuing FBS status, they want a Pac 12 bid bid https://www.sacbee.com/sports/college/article293047689.html

Found an article that talks about them wanting Pac 12 since the 1st link did not mention it https://www.kcra.com/article/sacramento-state-announces-new-hornet-stadium/62390273

Edited by TrueYankee26
  • Like 1
  • WOAH 1

1 minute ago, DCarp1231 said:

The Mountain West wants to add NIU & Toledo from the MAC

If NIU and Toledo go anywhere, it'll be to the American (and honestly, I'd have it be NIU and Buffalo so the American could have their respective major markets)

v40P3lq.png

3 hours ago, DCarp1231 said:

The Mountain West wants to add NIU & Toledo from the MAC

Absolutely ridiculous. I hope the MAC replied by just laughing in their faces. Toledo's not going anywhere, especially not the shambling corpse of the Mountain West.

spacer.png

The only time that “football only” memberships make sense is when a school’s primary conference is non-football. So, on the FBS level, Hawaii, and on the FCS level, just using California, UC Davis and Cal Poly in the Big Sky and San Diego in the Pioneer. 

If I were the MAC, I’d evict any football-only defectors completely out of the conference and force them to shack up with the Horizon League.

Then again, the NIU target strikes me as an overreaction to the Notre Dame upset and in the same vein as the low major basketball coach who gets poached by a mid major/low tier high major after winning a single tournament game.

VmWIn6B.png

That's my thought as well - an overreaction to what Northern Illinois did against Notre Dame.

If anything, the Mountain West needs to look at New Mexico State and UTEP first since they're already FBS members. If one joins, that's great because you then reach the magical 8 teams in order to stay alive. If they both join, even better.

I would also be putting out feelers to the Montana schools as well.

8 hours ago, LMU said:

If I were the MAC, I’d evict any football-only defectors completely out of the conference and force them to shack up with the Horizon League.

99% sure they'd have to leave the MAC to be football-only in the MWC -- if your primary conference offers a sport, you can't play in another conference for that sport.

6fQjS3M.png

8 minutes ago, crashcarson15 said:

99% sure they'd have to leave the MAC to be football-only in the MWC -- if your primary conference offers a sport, you can't play in another conference for that sport.

Are Army and Navy exempt from this, if true?  They both play football in the American but I think the rest of their sports are in the Patriot League.

23 minutes ago, TBGKon said:

Are Army and Navy exempt from this, if true?  They both play football in the American but I think the rest of their sports are in the Patriot League.

I would think so unless there's a loophole for being able to go football-only in a different conference if they're in a different competition level/division.  It would have been the same case for Georgetown and Villanova when the Big East had football.

• Like 1

VmWIn6B.png