Division 1 College Conference Realignment

dfwabel

It'll be interesting to see what team gets in. Army and Navy have to be considered dark horses. It's got nothing to do with success at this point, it's mostly about survival if they were raided again. But given they announced they'd only be adding two football members, it makes you think they're just going to pursue schools that'll only join the league for football even though it goes against most of the conventional wisdom of the day. That would rule out TCU, who'd probably bolt the league in the long-term anyway once a more geographically sound option revealed itself (hello Big 12)

In what universe does adding Army and Navy, even if only for football, seem like a good idea? Army and Navy aren't exactly in college sports for the money, but rather for the promotional value. Also, while Navy and Army are slightly more competitive as of late, both would simply be akin to a return to Temple for the Big East.

The Big XII ain't expanding. Texas is content to have a 10 team Conference with a well-established power structure of Texas > Everyone else and won't upset that.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

In what universe does adding Army and Navy, even if only for football, seem like a good idea? Army and Navy aren't exactly in college sports for the money, but rather for the promotional value. Also, while Navy and Army are slightly more competitive as of late, both would simply be akin to a return to Temple for the Big East.

The Big XII ain't expanding. Texas is content to have a 10 team Conference with a well-established power structure of Texas > Everyone else and won't upset that.

Agree on both points. I'd prefer some shifting between the Big East and the ACC, actually. Just make the Big East a basketball-first conference and the ACC could be the football focused conference. They could even partner up on the conference level and agree to some non-con games in their respective sports.

Throw Duke, NC, Wake, etc... into the BigEast and trade them off for teams like Pitt, Syracuse, WV, Cincy...

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

Agree on both points. I'd prefer some shifting between the Big East and the ACC, actually. Just make the Big East a basketball-first conference and the ACC could be the football focused conference. They could even partner up on the conference level and agree to some non-con games in their respective sports.

Throw Duke, NC, Wake, etc... into the BigEast and trade them off for teams like Pitt, Syracuse, WV, Cincy...

Wait you just traded basketball schools for basketball schools :P (West Virginia counts for the sake of them making the Final Four last year)

If it's gonna be BE basketball-first and ACC football-first, then the ACC might as well get South Florida and Rutgers in that deal in addition to Cincy

ffMc5dZ.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29

Wait you just traded basketball schools for basketball schools :P (West Virginia counts for the sake of them making the Final Four last year)

If it's gonna be BE basketball-first and ACC football-first, then the ACC might as well get South Florida and Rutgers in that deal in addition to Cincy

Yeah, my point really is that both the BE and the ACC have been weak in football the last few years. And by focusing across multiple sports, they spread themselves too thin. If they were to just concentrate on their strengths, they would both see a rise in profit and competitiveness, without peeing in each other's pools.

Nobody beats BE basketball and the ACC could pretty much be guaranteed a permanent BCS bid with a roster that includes VT, GT, Miami, FSU and adds schools like Pitt, WV, Cincy and Rutgers.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

I took the ACC/Football-Big East/Basketball idea and decided to run with it. I wrote all the teams down (well, typed them in notepad) and then asked myself "is this more of a football school or a basketball school?"

Big East (Basketball)

Cincinnati

Rutgers

Syracuse

Connecticut

Louisville

UNC

Duke

BC

Georgia Tech

Villanova

Temple

ACC (Football)

West Virginia

South Fla.

Pitt

Miami

Clemson

Maryland

Virginia Tech

Florida St

NC State

Virginia

Wake Forest

It wound up breaking down pretty evenly. Although their footprints overlap more than before, the Big East is still primarily a northern conference and the ACC is mainly a southern conference. The only thing I'm not quite sold on is Georgia Tech and Wake Forest. I put Wake in the ACC so that NC State wouldn't be the only tobacco road school left, but looking at it now, I thinking of maybe swapping them around. I also added Temple back to the Big East since I never did like them in the MAC and with the Big East now being a non-BCS conference, they don't have to put on airs of having standards that are above a school like Temple (which apparently hasn't been THAT bad as of late).

Of course, this is all hypothetical since I'm pretty sure there's already too much bad blood between the conferences' administrators to actually work something like this out.

I took the ACC/Football-Big East/Basketball idea and decided to run with it. I wrote all the teams down (well, typed them in notepad) and then asked myself "is this more of a football school or a basketball school?"

Big East (Basketball)

Cincinnati

Rutgers

Syracuse

Connecticut

Louisville

UNC

Duke

BC

Georgia Tech

Villanova

Temple

ACC (Football)

West Virginia

South Fla.

Pitt

Miami

Clemson

Maryland

Virginia Tech

Florida St

NC State

Virginia

Wake Forest

It wound up breaking down pretty evenly. Although their footprints overlap more than before, the Big East is still primarily a northern conference and the ACC is mainly a southern conference. The only thing I'm not quite sold on is Georgia Tech and Wake Forest. I put Wake in the ACC so that NC State wouldn't be the only tobacco road school left, but looking at it now, I thinking of maybe swapping them around. I also added Temple back to the Big East since I never did like them in the MAC and with the Big East now being a non-BCS conference, they don't have to put on airs of having standards that are above a school like Temple (which apparently hasn't been THAT bad as of late).

Of course, this is all hypothetical since I'm pretty sure there's already too much bad blood between the conferences' administrators to actually work something like this out.

The football oriented conference would probably opt for a 12th team due to the whole NCAA "Championship Game Rule" idea.

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

2011 Pac-12 scheduled released.

To be kicked off by Utah at Southern Cal. For Colorado's first conference game, they will be hosting Washington State.

Nice way to indoctrine Utah to the Pac-12. Oh, and if there are any Colorado fans out there: Go ahead and whip Waz-Spew as badly as possible. There's a reason they are the bottom feeders in the Pac-12.

Oh, and if there are any Colorado fans out there: Go ahead and whip Waz-Spew as badly as possible.

Not gonna happen -- not as long as Hawkins is still at CU. Dude currently has a career record of 19–38. I hope that assclown never sees the Pac-12!

6uXNWAo.png

Oh, and if there are any Colorado fans out there: Go ahead and whip Waz-Spew as badly as possible.

Not gonna happen -- not as long as Hawkins is still at CU. Dude currently has a career record of 1938. I hope that assclown never sees the Pac-12!

I don't care who's coaching at Colorado... Hell, it can be Ralphie for all I care for, I just want to see those hicks from Wazzu get an asswhipping.

Not gonna happen -- not as long as Hawkins is still at CU. Dude currently has a career record of 19?38. I hope that assclown never sees the Pac-12!

I don't care who's coaching at Colorado... Hell, it can be Ralphie for all I care for, I just want to see those hicks from Wazzu get an asswhipping.

Dude, it'll be the Biggest Cripple fight in the Conference this side of the Apple Cup.

Today, we are all otaku.

Not gonna happen -- not as long as Hawkins is still at CU. Dude currently has a career record of 19?38. I hope that assclown never sees the Pac-12!

Dude, it'll be the Biggest Cripple fight in the Conference this side of the Apple Cup.

CU @ Wazzu = Battle of the Chumps.

The conference just wanted to make travel a little easier for CU fans to attend their initial Pac-12 road game. They are just telling Horizon Air/Alaska Airlines and charters to add flights from DEN 9 months prior.

Report: UTSA to vote on moving to the WAC

The UT Board of Regents meets on Thursday, they must approve the move. Denver and Texas State are also scheduled to join the WAC for the 2012-13 academic year/season.

Will DU offer football? And if so, where will they play their home games?

They will not participate in football; they do not offer it and won't start it. It was more important to get them for basketball, before they reached an agreement with Nevada and Fresno State.

The UT Board of Regents meets on Thursday, they must approve the move. Denver and Texas State are also scheduled to join the WAC for the 2012-13 academic year/season.

At least Louisiana Tech wouldn't look stuck in BFE compared to the rest of the WAC footprint. Although I would expect C-USA to go after Tech to replace whatever Texas team the Big XII swipes from them if when the Longhorns leave.

At least Louisiana Tech wouldn't look stuck in BFE compared to the rest of the WAC footprint. Although I would expect C-USA to go after Tech to replace whatever Texas team the Big XII swipes from them if when the Longhorns leave.

This could be the reform of the Sun Belt. Do they go after App. State if they approve a move or wait for GSU or even KSU (Kennesaw) sine they are in the ATL market?

I would think the Sun Belt would be more then happy to see the WAC take Denver off of their hands. The Pioneers are pretty far off the main footprint of the Sun Belt and the conference has dropped two of the three non-football members (New Orleans left for Division III). With UALR as the only non-football member left, I'd say the Sun Belt is pretty happy right now.

As for the WAC: Good for those three, but there is got to be someone that is going to be unhappy and that might be Seattle U. and possibly Montana. There have been a ton of rumors that have Montana joining the WAC (Which would explain why the Big Sky added North Dakota and Southern Utah: As insurance in case Montana left), but the big issue is that should Montana join, would there be enough money to get the team into FBS standards... Oh, and that little thing about playing Montana State every year.

Montana announced today that they ARE NOT going to the FBS. Definitely a shocker - and one that I bet keeps other teams at the FCS level (I'm talking to you App, JMU, and Delaware)

Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% about how you react to it.
App State Mountaineers / Alabama Crimson Tide / Atlanta Braves / New York Jets / Atlanta Hawks
"If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high but so are the rewards." [Bear Bryant]
Redmond Rampage