Division 1 College Conference Realignment

dfwabel

Unless it was mentioned somewhere else....the Big Ten has picked their divisional names.

This is sarcasm, right? The horiffic new B16TEN makeover is plastered all over the Logos forum...

Thread #1: http://boards.sportslogos.net/index.php?showtopic=77288

Thread #2: http://boards.sportslogos.net/index.php?showtopic=77369

6uXNWAo.png

Unless it was mentioned somewhere else....the Big Ten has picked their divisional names.

This is sarcasm, right? The horiffic new B16TEN makeover is plastered all over the Logos forum...

Thread #1: http://boards.sportslogos.net/index.php?showtopic=77288

Thread #2: http://boards.sportslogos.net/index.php?showtopic=77369

Call me sacrilegious, but I rarely browse the Logos forum. Way too many idiots post there....

I'm still think the Big East is the best choice for UMass.

While that does make sense, I have to think the big reason for this move is so the MAC can have a small piece of the Boston TV market.

With 14 football schools in the MAC, UMass would be great in the Eastern Division along with Buffalo and Temple, both being regional foes, and the Ohio schools. This would mean the Western most Ohio school would be in the Western Division to make it an even two 7 team divisions.

If anything, the CAA is starting to look awful shaky here. Hofstra and Northeastern drop their programs, Rhode Island is leaving for the NEC in 2013, Villanova and UMass are looking at FBS upgrades. With the additions of Old Dominion and Georgia State, the CAA is heading from a large 12 team beast of an FCS conference to one that, by 2013, may only have 9 members in the conference and just about half are associate members. Things aren't looking good for the CAA down the road.

• 2 weeks later...

Here are some other moves I can see happening...

Butler to Missouri Valley in all sports (the current national runners-up seem primed for a step up, though not too big of one)

Jacksonville and/or Jacksonville State to Sun Belt (They're already doing quite well in FCS, time for a tiny step up, plus the loss of Denver and UNO leaves a hole for the Sun Belt).

That's pretty much it for now...

bYhYmxh.png

Butler to Missouri Valley in all sports (the current national runners-up seem primed for a step up, though not too big of one)

Jacksonville and/or Jacksonville State to Sun Belt (They're already doing quite well in FCS, time for a tiny step up, plus the loss of Denver and UNO leaves a hole for the Sun Belt).

Both cases aren't likely.

Butler's case is location. Indianapolis, while being in the footprint of the MVC, is pretty much the heart of the Horizon's footprint. I don't think that Butler would leave it's home (and trips to major metro areas in the Midwest like Detroit, Cleveland, Green Bay, Milwaukee and Chicago) for one that is larger in scope.

The Sun Belt is probably happy as hell to get rid of Denver. They were the oddball in the Sun Belt, so seeing Denver join the WAC in 2012 makes the Sun Belt happy. Adding anyone right now is probably not on the radar unless they can find a way to convince UALR to get a football program going (or not. 11 members with 10 playing football is just as good).

Butler's case is location. Indianapolis, while being in the footprint of the MVC, is pretty much the heart of the Horizon's footprint. I don't think that Butler would leave it's home (and trips to major metro areas in the Midwest like Detroit, Cleveland, Green Bay, Milwaukee and Chicago) for one that is larger in scope.

The Sun Belt is probably happy as hell to get rid of Denver. They were the oddball in the Sun Belt, so seeing Denver join the WAC in 2012 makes the Sun Belt happy. Adding anyone right now is probably not on the radar unless they can find a way to convince UALR to get a football program going (or not. 11 members with 10 playing football is just as good).

I've been waiting for Denver to move out of the Belt for a long time and I suspect the rest of the conference had been waiting as well. I don't think anything is going to happen with UALR. They're certainly not going to add football anytime soon but I also don't see them being pushed out by the conference. After all, they didn't push Denver out for all those years. The Sun Belt could maybe add Louisiana Tech, but I think they've burned their bridges with ULM, ULL and well, the rest of the conference.

I think that if Butler left for anywhere, it'd be the A-10. The last two Horizon defectors (LaSalle & Xavier) are there and it would mean exposure in large, east coast media markets. But that said, I think Butler is staying put for the foreseeable future. Anything they could prove in the MVC (or the A-10 for that matter) is something they already proved by making it to the championship game and Gonzaga and Memphis have already shown that you don't have to be in a major conference to be a contender on the national scene.

Also, the MVC is perfectly happy with 10 teams and the full round robin from what I've seen post-Tulsa in the mid-90s.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Butler's not going anywhere right now. Each and every one of their athletic programs, with the exception of men's basketball, would get torn apart in the Missouri Valley or the Atlantic Ten. Plus, why would they want to move out of a conference that they're always making it to the tournament out of? If they played a Missouri Valley or A-10 schedule year-in, year-out, who knows if they'd always be in the Big Dance.

6fQjS3M.png

Butler's not going anywhere right now. Each and every one of their athletic programs, with the exception of men's basketball, would get torn apart in the Missouri Valley or the Atlantic Ten. Plus, why would they want to move out of a conference that they're always making it to the tournament out of? If they played a Missouri Valley or A-10 schedule year-in, year-out, who knows if they'd always be in the Big Dance.

Agreed, if they were struggling in the league then they are in now then I would say it makes sense. But they are basically getting an automatic bid in the tourney every year. It wouldnt make any sense.

Agreed, if they were struggling in the league then they are in now then I would say it makes sense. But they are basically getting an automatic bid in the tourney every year. It wouldnt make any sense.

Also, the other thing that has to be considered is the travel. Currently, each and every one of their conference games (with the exception of their football team) happens no farther than 7 or so hours from campus (UW-Green Bay), when in a conference like the Missouri Valley or Atlantic 10, they'd have to travel to places such as Amherst, Massachusetts or Charlotte, North Carolina. This would exponentially increase travel costs for non-revenue sports. It's just not happening.

6fQjS3M.png

So, how soon before the WAC tries to pick up Eastern Washington?

Not. Going. To. Happen. Here's why:

1. Big Sky Stability - The Big Sky just added North Dakota and Southern Utah for 2012, giving it 11 full time members plus Cal Poly and UC-Davis as football only members in 2013 (That's an assumed date, BTW). This makes the Big Sky the largest FCS football conference and a leading force in the western half of the nation at the FCS level.

2. Distance Issues - Say that EWU does join the WAC? You're talking about having all of their teams play in Louisiana, Texas and New Mexico instead of what the Big Sky offers, which is shorter trips to Montana, Idaho, and Oregon (And, yes, there are some longer road trips there, but not to the extent of what the WAC would have).

3. Upgrading - I highly doubt that Eastern Washington would have the money needed to make an upgrade.

• 2 weeks later...

And now the Idaho Vandals are reported to be talking to the Mountain West:

http://www.spokesman.com/blogs/sportslink/2011/jan/20/vandals-pursuing-mwc-membership/

Also mentions San Jose State and Utah State...I think this image is safe to post now (since every suggestion I made for the WAC to pick up, you've quickly refuted):

RIPWAC.png?t=1295590748

How long before we see the Big Sky make the "conference jump" to FBS?

bYhYmxh.png