Division 1 College Conference Realignment

dfwabel

Couldn't they get more out of the deal by reaching the Baltimore-Washington, Houston, and Dallas markets?

And outside of Maryland, which schools in those markets are "SEC-ready" in terms of talent and possibly finances?

SMU?

North Texas?

Houston? (They are a commuter school)

Navy?

The Big East has already extended a standing invitation. I'd say feelings aren't too hurt.

The same AD and President who moved BC to the ACC as still in their jobs.

Maryland and/or Virginia tech would give them access to the Baltimore/Washington media market, and aTm would give them access to the Texan markets. That's what I mean.

How does Va Tech, a school in western/central Virginia, give them the Baltimore/DC market?

Presumably a lot of Va Tech grads/fans live in suburban DC on the Virginia side of the Potomac... (I read it in here from a VA member, so...)

6fQjS3M.png

Random thoughts on this SEC expansion talk:

1) Sizemore is correct: the discussion on markets has less to do with where the schools are located (Athens, Fayetteville, Gainesville, College Station, Blacksburg) but where the ALUMNI from those schools are concentrated (Atlanta, Little Rock, Tampa Bay, Orlando, Houston, Dallas, DC area, Baltimore). That's the people with the money and the markets. For example, who in Houston or Dallas right now watches SEC football on CBS? Probably very few folks. Put A&M in the mix, and viewership in those places goes way up - not only when A&M plays, but because SEC games now have a bearing on A&M's fortunes.

2) I'm wondering, with all this talk of the next two being "western" schools (A&M /Mizzou, A&M/Oklahoma, etc.) how will this affect the SEC's divisions (for football, as SEC basketball no longer uses divisions). If the divisions are to remain balanced, adding 2 teams from the (geographic) west would require moving a team from the SEC West to the SEC East. Who would that be? The current eastern-most teams in the west are in Alabama, and although they could remain as each team's permanent opponent under the SEC football schedule and still play each other yearly, it would seem unlikely that anyone would want to break the rivalry.

It is what it is.

2) I'm wondering, with all this talk of the next two being "western" schools (A&M /Mizzou, A&M/Oklahoma, etc.) how will this affect the SEC's divisions (for football, as SEC basketball no longer uses divisions). If the divisions are to remain balanced, adding 2 teams from the (geographic) west would require moving a team from the SEC West to the SEC East. Who would that be? The current eastern-most teams in the west are in Alabama, and although they could remain as each team's permanent opponent under the SEC football schedule and still play each other yearly, it would seem unlikely that anyone would want to break the rivalry.

If you're scenario is correct (two new western teams) the answer would have to be Auburn. Auburn is only like 40 minutes from Georgia border. Auburn could still play Bama in Iron Bowl, plus it has the intrigue of a Bama/Auburn SEC Championship.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

If A&M goes to the SEC, then OU, Ok St, and TT go to the Pac-12, who's going to be the Pac-12's 16th team? I was thinking about it, and UNLV would make a whole heck of a lot of sense.

b0b5d4f702adf623d75285ca50ee7632.jpg
Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

If A&M goes to the SEC, then OU, Ok St, and TT go to the Pac-12, who's going to be the Pac-12's 16th team? I was thinking about it, and UNLV would make a whole heck of a lot of sense.

How so?

The Las Vegas TV Market. That's what the UNLV Rebels would bring.... and a decent basketball team.

Personally, this talk of Texas A&M jumping ship scares me a little. I live in Iowa State country and the talk is that the Big 12 dies off, the Cyclones are stuck in limbo until someone picks them up.

The Las Vegas TV Market. That's what the UNLV would bring....

Personally, this talk of Texas A&M jumping ship scares me a little. I live in Iowa State country and the talk is that the Big 12 dies off, the Cyclones are stuck in limbo until someone picks them up.

If A&M jump ship, the B1G would definitely take Mizzou, KU, K-State, and ISU. You shouldn't worry.

thespleenenator, on August 12, 2011 - 12:56, said:

How so?

Not only the Las Vegas TV market, but they're also a very fast growing university, they have great Basketball, track, and wrestling programs, and they bring BCS football to Vegas, which I'm sure would become a huge attraction and I wouldn't be surprised if UNLV becomes competitive. It's a win win situation.

Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

If the SEC and PAC-12 expand, look at notre dame being a BIg Ten target and possibly happening. Super conferences is the only thing that will force notre dame's hand. Who knows who the 14th would be...

As someone suggested Iowa state, muzzu, ku and k-state, I could see the big ten going after 3 of those and also notre dame.

If the SEC and PAC-12 expand, look at notre dame being a BIg Ten target and possibly happening. Super conferences is the only thing that will force notre dame's hand. Who knows who the 14th would be...

Notre Dame is perfectly happy being independent. If Texas goes independent, which is very likely, they stay.

The Las Vegas TV Market. That's what the UNLV Rebels would bring.... and a decent basketball team.

Las Vegas is still USC territory, plus UNLV will have difficulty in getting support from Stanford, Cal, and even USC academically. Like it (or aware of it) or not, USC is a school with academic chops and gets research money.

Iowa State is possibly the least desired athletic program from a public university within the current BCS conferences. As a whole, only the private schools like Vandy, Duke, and Wake are at or near the same level.

Las Vegas is still USC territory, plus UNLV will have difficulty in getting support from Stanford, Cal, and even USC academically. Like it (or aware of it) or not, USC is a school with academic chops and gets research money.

Iowa State is possibly the least desired athletic program from a public university within the current BCS conferences. As a whole, only the private schools like Vandy, Duke, and Wake are at or near the same level.

UNLV is actually one of the leading theatre and arts schools in the nation. Plus, the only other realistic option to have a 16th team would be UNR, and I think they would rather have the LV tv market. It's only USC territory right now because UNLV is not part of the same conference. Trust me, if UNLV joined the Pac-12, their football program would explode (in a good way).

As much as I hate to say it, Kansas State is probably either 1b or 1c on that list as well. Though they do have Kansas City close by, it's still a rural-based school.

UNLV is actually one of the leading theatre and arts schools in the nation. Plus, the only other realistic option to have a 16th team would be UNR, and I think they would rather have the LV tv market. It's only USC territory right now because UNLV is not part of the same conference. Trust me, if UNLV joined the Pac-12, their football program would explode (in a good way).

I think the Pac12/Pac16 would rather have San Diego State than UNLV.

San Diego State wouldn't qualify academically for the Pac-12. Plus, they already have the California market, they honestly don't need SDSU. Sand Diego has the Chargers. Las Vegas has much more potential.

One particularly good school within a university does not make a "academic fit". UNLV does have a law school, but no medical school and no fan support for football. Their "market size" is only telling if no LV cable carrier picks up a portion of the Pac-12 subregional networks.

Pac-12 will not take a school which is part of the "Cal State" system.

San Diego State wouldn't qualify academically for the Pac-12. Plus, they already have the California market, they honestly don't need SDSU. Sand Diego has the Chargers. Las Vegas has much more potential.

If the Chargers move to LA, then SDSU becomes a lot more lucrative. Not sure how UNLV qualifies academically if SDSU doesn't.

If the Chargers move to LA, then SDSU becomes a lot more lucrative. Not sure how UNLV qualifies academically if SDSU doesn't.

UNLV is much better academically than SDSU. The other option would be UNR, which is a much better overall university, but it's in a much smaller market. The ideal situation would be to get rid of WSU and get both.

One particularly good school within a university does not make a "academic fit". UNLV does have a law school, but no medical school and no fan support for football. Their "market size" is only telling if no LV cable carrier picks up a portion of the Pac-12 subregional networks.

Pac-12 will not take a school which is part of the "Cal State" system.

Is that in their by-laws?

Who thought the SEC would take a Texas school?