Division 1 College Conference Realignment

dfwabel

Here is also an issue, only four teams can play in that prime CBS 3:30 slot and secondary ESPN/ESPN2 Saturday night slot. How many times a year will aTm, Clemson or any new team will actually play in those two slots?

CBS also has two primetime games per year. Logic says that they may add a couple more primetime games.

ESPN does own the broadcasts of all SEC home football games. They can spread these out ESPN, ESPN2, ESPN-U, the SEC Network (which gets placed on a local affiliate), and ABC Saturday nights...and spread these out over various starting times from noon-9pm ET. They also have access to putting games on Thursday night, the Sunday and Monday of Labor Day weekend, and the Thursday and Friday of Thanksgiving weekend.

There's no shortage of time slots, that's for sure.

http://outkickthecoverage.com/fsu-and-clemson-have-no-shot-at-the-sec.php

Pretty decent article explaining my feelings, although I don't feel as strongly as he does about not including Texas A&M. While Clemson and FSU seem more like "SEC schools", they don't really bring anything valuable to the table that is worthwhile. Texas A&M brings an education factor, endowment factor, and the loophole into Texas recruiting grounds factor.

I personally like to see teams "upgraded" from a poor conference to a stronger one if at all possible, rather than interchange across. This is why I personally feel that aside from TAMU, a team like West Virginia or even Virginia Tech (while not fitting into my "poor" standard) makes sense here for a second addition- because it is all about money and this would spread the market even further.

I don't really like the idea of Oklahoma or Oklahoma State coming aboard...they just don't feel like SEC teams to me. I've just never cared for the style of play in the Big XII- an offensive back and forth race to 50 points against gravy defenses.

I also liked the suggestion of Boston College heading back to the Big East (where they belong) and South Florida heading to the ACC. Makes more sense geographically, however that isn't how things are always done- or else it would make sense to have FSU, UF, UCF, and USF all in the same conference.

ESPN is reporting that A&M intends to join the SEC for the 2012 season, but it still has to be voted on by the board of regents and the SEC, which if approved would then necessitate teh adding of a 14th team to the SEC, NOT 16. Again, if A&M joins according to an SEC official the SEC would go to 14, not 16 teams, as the media and blogs have been way too fast out of the chute.

http://outkickthecoverage.com/fsu-and-clemson-have-no-shot-at-the-sec.php

Pretty decent article explaining my feelings, although I don't feel as strongly as he does about not including Texas A&M. While Clemson and FSU seem more like "SEC schools", they don't really bring anything valuable to the table that is worthwhile. Texas A&M brings an education factor, endowment factor, and the loophole into Texas recruiting grounds factor.

I personally like to see teams "upgraded" from a poor conference to a stronger one if at all possible, rather than interchange across. This is why I personally feel that aside from TAMU, a team like West Virginia or even Virginia Tech (while not fitting into my "poor" standard) makes sense here for a second addition- because it is all about money and this would spread the market even further.

I don't really like the idea of Oklahoma or Oklahoma State coming aboard...they just don't feel like SEC teams to me. I've just never cared for the style of play in the Big XII- an offensive back and forth race to 50 points against gravy defenses.

I also liked the suggestion of Boston College heading back to the Big East (where they belong) and South Florida heading to the ACC. Makes more sense geographically, however that isn't how things are always done- or else it would make sense to have FSU, UF, UCF, and USF all in the same conference.

Yes. In a market like this it's tough for BC to be a viable contender year in and year out. They just don't have a fan base that travels well, or even a fan base outside of current students and alumni. From the get-go, moving to the ACC was a bad decision, but the money was there so they took it. I heard a radio spot the other day for BC Football saying something along the lines of, "Come watch the Eagles as they look to take the ACC crown this year!" I couldn't help but laugh, and that's never a good sign.

Honestly how is that report different? You will see the other 2 major football conferences (big ten PAC 12) go to 14 to keep up at least.

Maybe there is nothing reported but I think in 5 years there will be 3 16 team leagues running everything.

What people are ignoring is the Texas effect. For a long time, I thought Texas and A&M were a package deal. You don't get one without the other. When the Big 10 was talking of expansion, they kept saying Texas, Texas, Texas. Everyone just brushed it off. Its really an interesting dynamic.

Texas and A&M are not a package deal. Last year when they were all being included in PAC 10 talks, aTm actually started talking with the SEC because they didn't want to be some tag along to Texas, wanted to be counted as themselves, which is why this is not surprising. They've wanted to separate themselves from Texas.

http://outkickthecov...-at-the-sec.php

The Big East is using Tagliabue to lobby to all media partners that they have the most major media markets and thus should garner maximum $$$.

I don't get and will never get the "Clemson love/value". They have a small enrollment (15,000 students) and thus a low alumni base, they are two hours from Atlanta (a presence they already have), and their only title was in 1982 and they have not been to a BCS bowl game while Wake Forest has.

Hold on player!

From the story:

There may be some bumps in the road for Texas A&M and the Aggies' ability to make a clean break for the Southeastern Conference.

Dan Branch, R-Dallas, the chairman of the House Higher Education Committee told Orangebloods.com on Saturday that it would be "highly inappropriate" for the Texas A&M Board of Regents to take any action during a Monday meeting that would finalize a move to the SEC.

Branch called a hearing of his committee for Tuesday and invited Texas A&M president R. Bowen Loftin and Texas A&M regents chair Richard Box to testify about why this would be in the best interest of A&M and the state of Texas.

"It's my understanding the regents meeting on Monday is to begin negotiations, not complete them - assuming the SEC extends an offer," Branch told Orangebloods.com. "It would be important to the Legislature that the regents not complete anything before lawmakers get to ask some questions.

"It's my understanding from talking to A&M officials that it may take a week or two weeks to finalize any conference realignment anyway."

On Friday, Texas A&M moved up a meeting of the regents from Aug. 22 to Monday - one day before Branch's scheduled hearing on Texas A&M's current situation. The move looked like a game of beat-the-clock with lawmakers.

An administrator at a Big 12 school told Orangebloods.com that the Atlantic Coast Conference has a meeting planned for Monday with its 12 schools to reaffirm their commitment to each other.

LAND OF THE MEGA CONFERENCES

SEC

East

Clemson, Florida, Florida State, Georgia, Kentucky, South Carolina, Tennessee, Vanderbilt

West

Alabama, Arkansas, Auburn, LSU, Mississippi, Mississippi State, Missouri, Texas A&M

PAC-16

North

California, Oregon, Oregon State, Stanford, UCLA, USC, Washington, Washington State

South

Arizona, Arizona State, Colorado, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Texas, Texas Tech, Utah

ACC

Atlantic

Boston College, Connecticut, Louisville, Maryland, Pittsburgh, Rutgers, Syracuse, West Virginia

Coastal

Duke, Georgia Tech, Miami, North Carolina, North Carolina State, Virginia, Virginia Tech, Wake Forest

BIG 16

Legends

Iowa, Iowa State, Kansas, Kansas State, Michigan, Michigan State, Nebraska, Notre Dame

Leaders

Illinois, Indiana, Minnesota, Northwestern, Ohio State, Penn State, Purdue, Wisconsin

That makes perfect sense except that Texas will go independent. If that happens, Notre Dame is staying. That means that the B1G would have to go for a non BCS school (Navy perhaps?). The absolute best option for the Pac-16 would be AIr Force. It would give them a national following, along with a very athletically competitive school.

b0b5d4f702adf623d75285ca50ee7632.jpg
Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

LAND OF THE MEGA CONFERENCES

SEC

East

Clemson, Florida, Florida State, Georgia, Kentucky, South Carolina, Tennessee, Vanderbilt

West

Alabama, Arkansas, Auburn, LSU, Mississippi, Mississippi State, Missouri, Texas A&M

PAC-16

North

California, Oregon, Oregon State, Stanford, UCLA, USC, Washington, Washington State

South

Arizona, Arizona State, Colorado, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Texas, Texas Tech, Utah

ACC

Atlantic

Boston College, Connecticut, Louisville, Maryland, Pittsburgh, Rutgers, Syracuse, West Virginia

Coastal

Duke, Georgia Tech, Miami, North Carolina, North Carolina State, Virginia, Virginia Tech, Wake Forest

BIG 16

Legends

Iowa, Iowa State, Kansas, Kansas State, Michigan, Michigan State, Nebraska, Notre Dame

Leaders

Illinois, Indiana, Minnesota, Northwestern, Ohio State, Penn State, Purdue, Wisconsin

That makes perfect sense except that Texas will go independent. If that happens, Notre Dame is staying. That means that the B1G would have to go for a non BCS school (Navy perhaps?). The absolute best option for the Pac-16 would be AIr Force. It would give them a national following, along with a very athletically competitive school.

Child, please!

Here is also an issue, only four teams can play in that prime CBS 3:30 slot and secondary ESPN/ESPN2 Saturday night slot. How many times a year will aTm, Clemson or any new team will actually play in those two slots?

CBS also has two primetime games per year. Logic says that they may add a couple more primetime games.

ESPN does own the broadcasts of all SEC home football games. They can spread these out ESPN, ESPN2, ESPN-U, the SEC Network (which gets placed on a local affiliate), and ABC Saturdayhttp://boards.sportslogos.net/index.php?app=forums&module=post&section=post&do=reply_post&f=8&t=70838&qpid=1614638 nights...and spread these out over various starting times from noon-9pm ET. They also have access to putting games on Thursday night, the Sunday and Monday of Labor Day weekend, and the Thursday and Friday of Thanksgiving weekend.

There's no shortage of time slots, that's for sure.

The CBS 3:30 slot is the NCAA equivalent to the NBC's Sunday Night Football in terms of national importance. Adding aTM, and other schools will not add to those schools getting that slot, especially if they are mediocre. Since the SEC has won the last five BCS titles, that game is THE Saturday game to watch.

When I hear this...

http://www.videosurf.com/video/cbs-college-football-theme-music-30549351?vlt=ffext&vlt_position=inline

I am more in that out for the first quarter even though I graduated from two Big Ten schools and now live in the Pacific time zone.

That is the slot which everybody wants to have. The Raycom/Creative Sports/SECNetwork syndicated slot is to ESPN as the noon Big East slot they syndicate.

Navy to the Big Ten. Ok whatever. The SEC and Big Ten will have their pick of teams. The Pac-12 will pick up the leftovers from the Big 12 collapse and whatever is left of the ACC and Big East football teams will merge together. I don't see Texas going fully independent. They'll take what is left of the Big 12 and some of the other Texas schools and for a sort of renewed SWC that they can dominate. They'll schedule aggressively non-conference to make up for being a smaller conference.

What part of "the only thing that these conferences are interested in is money" don't you get? The only major media market Kansas has to offer is maybe Kansas City. Mizzou offers KC and StL. There's no point in adding either of those schools. Nebraska convinced the B1G they gave them the Kansas City market, and Illinois already gives them the St. Louis market. The Des Moines "market" is there with Iowa, and K-State has the same problems as Kansas. You don't grasp why they want to expand.

Nebraska is not the KC market. Kansas and Mizzou are. And Mizzou has a bigger piece of the St. Louis pie than Illinois. And besides, not everything comes down to what market they are. This isn't professional sports. Some of these schools are simply big money makers based on their own athletic teams. Kansas is one of the biggest basketball draws (as much as it pains me to say that), but football is not. They're not gonna go after them directly, but they'd be a decent "attachment school" if they went after Mizzou. Speaking of which, is becoming a steady football program that could become a Top 25 fixture. I still think, and would hope, that Mizzou winds up in the SEC if the Big XII does in fact dissolve.

The whole reason that Nebraska was admitted to the Big Ten instead of the Tigers last year was that the Huskers convinced the Big Ten that they had enough alums in Kansas City to cover the town and to get BTN into those households. If that's what the Big Ten wanted, then they got what they wanted, their product on in more households.

That's not what it was. Nebraska has alums all over the midwest, not just KC. They could've claimed any market over the other. It had nothing to do with simply the KC market as you seem to believe. Nebraska is a traditionally money making football college, plain and simple. Not because of a TV market 200 miles away in another state that's primarily a tv market for two other schools.

You're actually making your case sound worse than. What you're telling me is that Mizzou would have put BTN on in households in Kansas City, while Nebraska can put them on across the Dakotas, in Omaha, and in Kansas City? All the Big Ten cares about right now is getting their product into as many homes as possible, and the combination of Nebraska and Illinois has put it on across Missouri, no? You can't tell me that they wouldn't rather add the Baltimore/Washington, New York, and Boston markets as opposed to "strengthening" viewership in St. Louis and Kansas City. There's a lot more money to be made and a lot more households to get into from the east coast schools than Missouri. Now, I could understand if Missouri was a top athletic school, but stop pretending like it's on the level of prestige of a Nebraska, Ohio State, or Penn State. The whole state doesn't behave like those states do when it comes to caring about the university. Mizzou going to the SEC is a move that makes the most sense for everybody involved. The SEC accesses the KC and St. Louis markets they weren't already accessing (but the Big Ten was), and they can spread their product as well.

Aside from the money, I can't see any reason for A&M to join the SEC, as there is no way they'll be able to compete for the championship, unless Georgia, Florida, LSU, Alabama, Auburn & Tennessee all miraculously collapse in the same season, which ain't happening.

As for FSU going to SEC, please. Better luck saying that Miami is going.

The money is the reason for all of these changes. Anyways, what good is it for A&M to fall back into a weak conference? They've got a chance to go to the elite conference in college football, why wouldn't you make the move? You'll add revenue, and believe it or not, kids will get more excited about playing SEC ball than playing a schedule consisting of Kansas, K-State, and Iowa State every year. With Texas seemingly on the verge of going independent here and the rest of the Big XII probably going to bolt west, who knows?

So you think A&M which prides itself on it's football, would want to move to a conference where they KNOW outright that they have absolutely NO shot at a league championship, let alone a national championship, unless 6 of the perennial college football powerhouses all magically have :censored:ty season the exact same year, rather then staying a conference where there is a good chance that Oklahoma/Texas will knock each other out of the national championship chase and A&M can maybe sneak into a BCS bowl game.

Even A&M can't possibly be that stupid, even of Rick Perry is a graduate.

I'm sure A&M has noticed that Arkansas, a program that they are roughly analogous to, has made 3 trips to the SEC Championship game in their time in the league and also been to a couple of major bowls. If Arky can do so, why can't they?

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Mizzou historically may be one of the few programs that does a better job of squandering the advantages given to them by geography and circumstance than Illinois

To write out what I know about college sports could barely fill a postage stamp, but all I know Mizzou as is a team that is often involved in the wrong side of notable games. (The pro wrestling slang for this is "jobber to the stars.") I don't know that they squander what they have, though. Seems like they have a strong statewide fanbase to me.

If the squandering you refer to with Illinois is their failure to wholly capture Chicago, that's going to happen when you have a large population that goes every which way for school and lends its primary allegiances to professional football and basketball. I'd say they do well enough with a big downstate fanbase and a decent alumni foothold in Chicagoland. For that matter, Northwestern does about as well as they should for a school that doesn't emphasize athletics.

I was speaking more in terms of recruiting and exploiting talent. Illinois should be a lot better historically than it is because of the access it has to Chicago's talent, and as Missouri is the only major school in the state, they should theoretically have first call on the talent in St. Louis and Kansas City. That's what I was getting at.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

If the SEC only takes FSU, that puts the ACC at 11. That would more than likely mean "ACC raiding the Big East 2.0". Not sure how that would shake out, though, because there's a lot of good picks

-South Florida fits it geographically, fills FSU void

-West Virginia also is a geographical fit, plus has a rivalry with VT from back in the pre-04 raid Big East. Consistently being the strong point of Big East football definitely helps

-Rutgers has New York, even though very little people care about college sports outside of the Big East basketball tournament and (in the suburbs) lacrosse. Then again, NYC market = $$$. Fits the academic profile pretty well too (similar to Maryland in terms of public schools)

-UConn also has claim to the NYC market I guess, definitely the southern New England market, plus hoops is its strong point. The BC-UConn divorce from 04 might be touchy, though

-Syracuse fits the academic profile of some other schools in the conference (private school, good academics, 10-15K students), has a rivalry with BC, plus basketball and FWIW lacrosse and field hockey (yes I know there's no importance of non-revenues in all this) match the strong suits of the ACC. Not to mention was supposed to go to the ACC before the Virginia legislature stepped in

-Pitt also fits the academic profile with its good academics, plus brings the Pittsburgh market with them. The football program's usually in the hunt for conference titles, plus basketball brings a bit to the table

So yeah. If the SEC takes one of the ACC schools, I can see them raiding one of those schools. If the Big Ten comes in and swoops Maryland, VT, whathaveyou, either three of those or the Big East joins in on the raid and takes BC and whoever. If we get into 16-team madness, then I can see the two conferences merging together out of survival.

oEQ0ySg.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29 // College Crosse: Where I write, chat, and infograph lacrosse

The Sporting News thinks the SEC might consider Louisville? Really?

It was never going to happen and their is no point if it were real.

Clemson, Florida State and Louisville are alike in that they are in markets where the SEC already has a presence. What's the difference? FSU and Clemson have football history.

The SEC would gain a school that's good in basketball and non-revenue sports, that's it. A few Louisville fans think that Louisville would eventually be a goodish and occasionally strong SEC football team, I don't. It's easier to pick up the South Florida kids and beat the rest of the Big East.

The Big East has already extended a standing invitation. I'd say feelings aren't too hurt.

Source?

Source

The same AD and President who moved BC to the ACC as still in their jobs.

I was referring to the Big East side of things since the mention of feelings was concerning UConn blocking BC from rejoining.

Athletic Director: KTU Blue Grassers Football