Division 1 College Conference Realignment

dfwabel

And the second part of the Rutgers AD quote was, "?It is not our place to speculate on the expansion plans of any other conference.?

Plus, he wont be making any decisions, the school president will have the invitation brought to him/her and the school's Board of Trustees to look over. The Big Ten said the process on even deciding to expand will take 12-18 months, so no need to pull the e-break after 48 hours.

Just thought of another reason Pitt might not want to move. Over the past 10 years some of their best basketball recruits have come from NYC. Would these players be less likely to choose Pitt if they aren't going to be playing infront of their hometown fans every year at MSG during the Big East tournament?

If their goal is to play in the NBA, does it matter?

Since 2000, Pitt's men's basketball team has been in the top 25 for eight of those seasons and been to the NCAA tourney every year except 2000-01. Their football team has been to six bowl games (seven if you count this year) and nationally ranked five of those years.

I don't know about you, but I don't think anyone would consider the Big Ten tournament in Indianapolis a step down from MSG.

cv2TCLZ.png

"I secretly hope people like that hydroplane into a wall." - Dennis "Big Sexy" Ittner

POTD - 7/3/14

but I am in favor of a divisional format. I'm just having a hard time arranging the divisions so that they make sense but are also relatively even while maintaining traditional rivalries.

And that's where having protected cross division rivalries comes in handy.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

You don't have to split up the conference for basketball. They don't in the ACC. They just run 1-12 and everyone has one (or is it two?) team(s) they always play twice.

this is true for the big 12 as well . but , looking at the schedule, each team plays everybody in their football division twice and everybody in the other division once .

glossysig5.png

Pitt joined the Big East in 1982 3 years after it was started with Georgetown,St.John's,Providence and Syracuse inviting Uconn,Seton Hall,BC,Holy Cross and Rutgers to join. Rutgers and Holy Cross actually declined at that point.

Holy Cross denied the Big East? What the hell were they smoking?

6uXNWAo.png

Pitt joined the Big East in 1982 3 years after it was started with Georgetown,St.John's,Providence and Syracuse inviting Uconn,Seton Hall,BC,Holy Cross and Rutgers to join. Rutgers and Holy Cross actually declined at that point. Villonova came along the following year in 1980.

But when most people think big east, they think of classic Ewing/Georgetown vs. Villanova games, Chris Mullin and St. Johns, etc. I'm not sure PITT has the cache of those teams, because of how good they all were in the '80s, and how they're smaller "underdog"-type schools. PITT is great now, but isn't a "classic" Big East team. It's splitting hairs, I know. I'm just saying that more fans would be upset about one of those other schools leaving vs. PITT.

What's Rutgers supposed to say - "yeah, we really hope they ask us, 'cause we can't wait to leave this crappy league we're in now!"

Means absolutely nothing.

Are you really trying to say the Big Ten is better than the Big East in basketball?

Huh? Not at all, though basketball has zero to do with this. Just saying that you can't listen to any quotes at this point, because there is no way anyone will ever say anything other than that they are happy where they're at. I was exaggerating to make the point.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Pitt joined the Big East in 1982 3 years after it was started with Georgetown,St.John's,Providence and Syracuse inviting Uconn,Seton Hall,BC,Holy Cross and Rutgers to join. Rutgers and Holy Cross actually declined at that point.

Holy Cross denied the Big East? What the hell were they smoking?

Get your @$$ handed to you on a regular basis by Georgetown, St. John's, and Syracuse or have a chance at competing with Lehigh and American U. Not a tough choice there. rolleyes.gif

cv2TCLZ.png

"I secretly hope people like that hydroplane into a wall." - Dennis "Big Sexy" Ittner

POTD - 7/3/14

I don't know about you, but I don't think anyone would consider the Big Ten tournament in Indianapolis a step down from MSG.

Actually, I think several people would think a tournament in flyover country is indeed a step down from playing at MSG.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Actually, I think several people would think a tournament in flyover country is indeed a step down from playing at MSG.

Hey, we're not that bad!

EDIT: Also, we get the Final Four once every 5 years is it? MSG is home to the NIT. Talk about big time. :P

Edited by sizemorematters

6fQjS3M.png

Hey, we're not that bad!

EDIT: Also, we get the Final Four once every 5 years is it? MSG is home to the NIT. Talk about big time. :P

Yeah that would be awesome...

If the Big Ten tournament was played at Lucas Oil Stadium. Only it's at Conseco.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I can see several high schoolers from New York feeling that way, so that fits the original point, and it's valid.

However, the steep basketball tradition in Indiana, the beautiful venue that is Conseco Fieldhouse, and the quality of play that is Big Ten basketball puts the BT Tourney in Indy right on par with any conference tourney at MSG. But again, I wouldn't expect a young kid from up north to feel the same, so I could see it hurting recruiting.

Hey, we're not that bad!

Yeah that would be awesome...

If the Big Ten tournament was played at Lucas Oil Stadium. Only it's at Conseco.

Fair enough. I was talking about the city itself not the venue.

6fQjS3M.png

If Iowa State or Missouri joined the Big Ten, here's what it would look like:

BIG TEN

East

Indiana

Michigan

Michigan State

Ohio State

Penn State

Purdue

West

Illinois

Iowa

Iowa State or Missouri

Minnesota

Northwestern

Wisconsin

PLUS....

2 different scenarios for the BIG XII if Iowa State moved to the BIG TEN.

BIG XII (Scenario #1):

North

Colorado

Colorado State (moved over from Mountain West Conference)

Iowa State or Missouri

Kansas

Kansas State

Nebraaska

South

Baylor

Oklahoma

Oklahoma State

Texas

Texas A&M

Texas Tech

BIG XII (Scenario #2):

North

Colorado

Iowa State or Missouri

Kansas

Kansas State

Nebraska

Oklahoma State (moved over from BIG XII South)

South

Baylor

Houston (moved over from Conference USA) or TCU (moved over from Mountain West Conference)

Oklahoma

Texas

Texas A&M

Texas Tech

YOZXkBG.png?1

I don't understand why conference expansions can't stay regional? The Big 10 (11, or whatever) is filled with central/midwestern schools? So why do they want to invade the Big East to add eastern schools? Pitt needs to stay in the Big East, Boston College should come back, and Penn State should maybe join the Big East.Schools like Notre Dame, Iowa State, and Missouri should be considered for the Big 10. I really dislike seeing teams out of place in conferences (what is BC doing in the ACC? Why is St. Louis (MS) in the Atlantic 10?)

MetsChiefsEspnSig.gif

College sports as we know them are just about dead. The lid is off on all the corruption that taints just about every major program and every decision that the schools or the NCAA make is only about money, money, and more money. We'll have three 16+ team super-conferences sooner rather than later, killing much of the regional flair and traditional rivalries that make college sports unique and showing the door to any school that doesn't bring money to the table in the process. Pretty soon the smaller schools are going to have to consider forming their own sanctioning body to keep the true spirit of college sports alive because the NCAA will only get worse in it's excess from here

I don't understand why conference expansions can't stay regional? The Big 10 (11, or whatever) is filled with central/midwestern schools? So why do they want to invade the Big East to add eastern schools? Pitt needs to stay in the Big East, Boston College should come back, and Penn State should maybe join the Big East.Schools like Notre Dame, Iowa State, and Missouri should be considered for the Big 10. I really dislike seeing teams out of place in conferences (what is BC doing in the ACC? Why is St. Louis (MS) in the Atlantic 10?)

If you want to get technical with the regional thing then I guess I'd have to ask what the hell Arizona and Arizona State are doing in The Pac-10. Shouldn't they be in The WAC or Mountain West? Isn't Boston more or less on the "Atlantic Coast?" Pitt is much closer to Columbus than it is to Syracuse. By almost 200 miles in fact. Pittsburgh is way more Midwest than it is "east."

That said, you can rest assured that the aforementioned conferences will do whatever they can to make sure your concerns are addressed.

BB52Big.jpg

• 1 month later...

I'm bumping this up because there's a report that the Big Ten and Texas are talking

Big Ten reportedly talks with Texas

From an $$$$ standpoint why not,but geographically WTF???

If admitted, nearly all of the state of Texas which does not have BTN will have to get it due to the Texas Exs who would always see their teams (football, basketball, volleyball) in national games and never in Standard Def.

Athletics, academics, research, graduate studies, incremental TV households for the BTN, national reputation/fan base, the "in" to a football recruiting hotbed of La/Tex, a great college town...what's not to like? Losing Tech and Baylor as rivals is worse for those schools than for UT. Sort of makes the thought of adding Mizzou or Rutgers seem silly.

Athletics, academics, research, graduate studies, incremental TV households for the BTN, national reputation/fan base, the "in" to a football recruiting hotbed of La/Tex, a great college town...what's not to like?

Texans

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫