Division 1 College Conference Realignment

dfwabel

A UNC fan saying WVU seems like an obvious choice seems like a contradiction. The Schools like Dook, UNC, Wake, and UVa do not want a school with the academics of a school like WVU in the fold.

Then again, WVU isn't horrible at basketball and the Tobacco Road schools still seem to have their head in the sand and are adding teams to benefit the basketball side of things but not really do anything for football.

Athletic Director: KTU Blue Grassers Football

Completely out of left field though.

Syracuse, yes. Pitt, not so much.

Pitt has been "showing itself" to the other conferences, trying to get out of the BEast for a while. Strangely enough, their chancellor is head of the Big East Committee. The irony is kind of laughable.

Anyway, I hate to see Syracuse/Georgetown turn into a once-a-year affair. That's one of the better rivalries in college basketball, even if it doesn't get the ESPN "omfg classic stuff here!" treatment that Duke/UNC receives.

Syracuse was thisclose to bailing in 2003 and would have if not for some meddling Virginia legislators. So them jumping to the ACC isn't exactly shocking either.

There's a few schools I'm really wondering about:

1. Villanova & Georgetown: These two Big East basketball schools are in FCS in football. Will they jump to FBS, or will they move conferences?

They'll stick around for the basketball. Villanova may move up, Georgetown....*laughter*

2. All the non-football schools in the Big East: will they join other leagues, create their own non-football league, or do the unthinkable and maybe create a football team?

They will stick together for basketball and revel in 80s nostalgia.

3. The WAC newcomers Seattle, Denver and UT-Arlington: even though the WAC isn't the BCS conference, their football membership is a little short. Will one, two or possibly all create football teams to shore up this league?

No.

4. UALR: With Denver moving to the WAC, Arkansas-Little Rock is the odd team out in the Sun Belt Conference. Could they join the Sunbelt Conference?

You mean field a football team?

AAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAhahahaha....ha...ha...ha.... No.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Wow, could we see TCU not even play a game in the Big East before they go somewhere else?

I wonder if there is any chance of the leftover Big XII and Big East merging into the big eastern XII.

Assuming Texas, Oklahoma and OSU are gone that may be the only way the remainers have a (slim) chance of staying realavent.

You'd have a 15 team football league (probably 14 or less cause I'm sure someone else would leave either conference) that may not be in the BCS but they'd still be fairily decent.

WVU's academics are not an issue. Florida State's were pretty much just as mediocre as West Virginia's when they joined the ACC in 1992.

Anyway, I thought about it, and I can't see "super-conferences" working for more than a year or two. Syracuse abandoned its two biggest rivals in basketball (Nova, Georgetown), and Pitt abandoned its biggest rival in football (WVU). Remember a couple years ago when the Big XII had the Texas-TTech-Oklahoma three way tie atop the division? Remember all the controversy that went along with that? How do you think that's going to work out with eight teams per division?

Money speaks louder than school pride, rivalries, tradition, history and geography, evidently. I for one think it's pretty sad that everyone is chasing the almighty dollar.

I wonder what will happen to Louisville and Cincinnati if the Big East does dissolve. Those are two football-playing schools with a solid tradition in basketball and that are located in some pretty good media markets.

Georgetown football has a loooooooong way to go if they ever wanted to moved up to division 1A. As long as their football program remains in the Patriot league (non scholarship conference) they can forget it.

Hotter Than July > Thriller

WVU's academics are not an issue. Florida State's were pretty much just as mediocre as West Virginia's when they joined the ACC in 1992.

But FSU was a football power located in a large populated State with many major media markets. WVU is a good football team located in a small less populated state with no major media markets. WVU doesn't have the extra stuff for the conference to overlook the academics like with FSU.

Texas has bullied two conferences into breaking up. The only way they should be allowed in is if they made some MAJOR concessions (i.e. learn to share.)

If (when) the ACC goes to 16, West Virginia would seem like the obvious choice. They'd be an upgrade for the league in both football and basketball, and they would have many natural rivalries with other ACC schools. But unfortunately, their academic ranking isn't high enough to get approved by the current ACC schools (UNC and Duke in particular.)

Since west Virginia is likely out, if the ACC decides to honor the "Atlantic Coast" part of their name, the two next options would be Rutgers and UConn. Not really sure what Rutgers brings to the table, other than fitting the "academic profile" of the rest of the ACC and providing a natural rival for Duke. But adding UConn, while it wouldn't improve football, would mean that the ACC would have the 1999, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2009, 2010, and 2011 men's basketball national champions.

How does a school in New Jersey provide a natural rivalry with Duke? UNC is the natural rival of Duke.

And West Virginia is very much not out. If the 16-team superconferences do form, UWV is very much in the mix of being in one. They could probably go to either the ACC, SEC or Big Ten. Along with the PAC, all 4 conferences have traditions of being high standard-academic conferences. But it might occur that not all the schools entering a conference would necessarily meet their criteria. I think UWV brings enough to football and basketball that their shortcomings might be overlooked. Besides, it's not like their Hillbilly U. I think them and probably UConn are gonna end up joining Pitt and 'Cuse in the ACC. Rutgers had a little flirtation with the B1G last year, so I could see them heading there. Louisville, I believe, could end up in the SEC. With the likelihood of FSU and Clemson going to the SEC took a near-fatal blow with the ACC upping their buyout to $20M, Louisville, with the uncertainty of the Big East, may be a potential 14th school, and if they go 16, they would become a very big possibility. Cincinnati? The Big Ten would probably be the only superconference that they'd even have a chance at and I don't know if that would really even be a possibility, both due to their lacking academic levels and Ohio State probably not approving them.

But FSU was a football power located in a large populated State with many major media markets. WVU is a good football team located in a small less populated state with no major media markets. WVU doesn't have the extra stuff for the conference to overlook the academics like with FSU.

They give Pittsburgh a travel partner along with their biggest rival in the sport that matters (football), and also gives Maryland their second-biggest rival in the sport that matters.

UConn and Rutgers might add media markets in the northeast, but those programs have lukewarm fan support. UConn especially. I mean, UConn is a basketball school, but even as a basketball school they have terrible fan support. CBS had to pay students from Rice University to dress up in UConn gear at the Final Four so that they wouldn't have to pan over chunks of empty seats in the UConn student section. How much fun do you think it would be to play against UConn in a half-empty stadium every other Saturday?

Anyway, I thought about it, and I can't see "super-conferences" working for more than a year or two. Syracuse abandoned its two biggest rivals in basketball (Nova, Georgetown), and Pitt abandoned its biggest rival in football (WVU). Remember a couple years ago when the Big XII had the Texas-TTech-Oklahoma three way tie atop the division? Remember all the controversy that went along with that? How do you think that's going to work out with eight teams per division?

Money speaks louder than school pride, rivalries, tradition, history and geography, evidently. I for one think it's pretty sad that everyone is chasing the almighty dollar.

I wonder what will happen to Louisville and Cincinnati if the Big East does dissolve. Those are two football-playing schools with a solid tradition in basketball and that are located in some pretty good media markets.

I've been wondering the same thing. Seems both of these schools are going to have to go back to C-USA? Independent?

Not really sure what Rutgers brings to the table, other than fitting the "academic profile" of the rest of the ACC and providing a natural rival for Duke.

How does a school in New Jersey provide a natural rivalry with Duke? UNC is the natural rival of Duke.

Heh. I guess you're unaware of a certain nickname for that school in Durham.

And I think you're right about West Virginia. If not the ACC, then I think they probably end up in the SEC. I personally think the ACC is pretty stupid if we reject them based on academics. If UNC's academics are going to falter, it will be because the NC Legislature just gutted our academic funding, not because we play a few games with the Mountaineers. And the ACC definitely needs more schools with passionate fans who travel well. The addition of Syracuse would give the ACC a whopping five private schools. None of the other BCS Conferences has more than two.

Pitt, Syracuse, Louisville and UConn to the ACC. West Virginia and Rutgers get left out. WVU goes to the SEC. Rutgers scrambles.

There's been no talk of Louisville to the ACC and I personally don't believe they'll end up there. UWV is being mentioned in both SEC and possibly ACC. Rutgers, ACC and Big Ten. It seems like UConn and Rutgers may end up in the ACC with UWV in the SEC. At least from what I've been reading.

Not really sure what Rutgers brings to the table, other than fitting the "academic profile" of the rest of the ACC and providing a natural rival for Duke.

I don't see how that would create a "natural rivalry". That usually means rivalry formed by location, nearby schools. I actually don't see any rivalry forming at all between these schools.

I don't see how that would create a "natural rivalry". That usually means rivalry formed by location, nearby schools. I actually don't see any rivalry forming at all between these schools.

It was a joke. ;)

Completely out of left field though.

Syracuse, yes. Pitt, not so much.

Pitt has been "showing itself" to the other conferences, trying to get out of the BEast for a while. Strangely enough, their chancellor is head of the Big East Committee. The irony is kind of laughable.

Anyway, I hate to see Syracuse/Georgetown turn into a once-a-year affair. That's one of the better rivalries in college basketball, even if it doesn't get the ESPN "omfg classic stuff here!" treatment that Duke/UNC receives.

Well, Syracuse/Georgetown is being played once a year already thanks to the Big East's schedule this year

I mean, this move's bittersweet. I addressed the benefits of Cuse going to the ACC a few weeks ago, so I do like the move. It ensures the school's athletic future whereas the Big East is one big question mark. It was something that almost had to be done with all the movement going on in college athletics. That being said, I will miss the Big East, especially in basketball. The past 33 years have been great to Syracuse in the Big East and there's lots of memories to be had from it. Whether it's the epic showdowns with Georgetown, McNabb's touchdown drive against Virginia Tech, or G-Mac's magic, the Big East will no doubt have a place in every Syracuse fan's heart. It's just a fact of the times and a case of having to keep up or be left behind. And of course, it's all about the benjamins.

I'll get used to ACC hoops over time. Obviously it's no Georgetown or UConn (more on them in a little bit) or Nova, but at least we got a dancing partner with Pitt plus we'll be rekindling rivalries with BC, VT, Miami, and Maryland. Oh, and I'm sure the Syracuse fanbase will soon enough be pumped for the battles with UNC and Duke to come. Football, while losing WVU and Rutgers to an extent, we still keep Pitt and we bring back more of our natural rivals. The post-04 raid Big East had us lose more rivals than we had in the conference. I can't wait to go back to playing BC every season and with Randy Edsall's history Maryland will become a rivalry soon enough. I'm not even gonna touch how amazing it's gonna be playing ACC lacrosse.

As for UConn, I wouldn't worry too much about them. It may be a year without them in our conference, but soon enough I think the ACC will invite them into the fray, unless a Big East/Big XII merger satisfies them with having Kansas in their basketball conference along with the non-football schools. I think the Cuse-UConn rivalry will survive as well. Either way I think UConn will get an invite soon enough, and probably Rutgers too considering I don't think their as valuable to the B10 as people make them out to be, but they would be a nice feather in the ACC's cap.

It's a bit of a sad day to be leaving a conference that gave us so many great memories, but at the same time it's an exciting one with what the ACC has to offer. At the very least I can rest easy that Syracuse isn't part of any conference realignment talk from here on out.

oEQ0ySg.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29 // College Crosse: Where I write, chat, and infograph lacrosse

There are these things called "Non-Conference Games". Perhaps you have heard of them.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

There's a few schools I'm really wondering about:

1. Villanova & Georgetown: These two Big East basketball schools are in FCS in football. Will they jump to FBS, or will they move conferences?

Nova could theoretically step up to FBS, but it would take a tremendous commitment on the part of the school to expand Villanova Stadium to anything remotely resembling a 1-FBS facility. And IMO, Georgetown is a no-go because there's nowhere for them to play that would qualify as a 1-FBS facility - they can't build a suitable stadium on campus because of lack of space (as a tightly-fit city university) and all the other non-college stadiums in the area are way too big. (I guess they could play at decrepit old RFK, but YOU try to recruit at the FBS level in a stadium like that...)

There are these things called "Non-Conference Games". Perhaps you have heard of them.

Oh, you mean those spectacles where a BCS team pays a FCS team a large sum of money to get clobbered in their home stadium for the benefit of ticket sales and concessions, and doesn't challenge the BCS team in any significant way?

Depending on how these super-conference schedules work out, the non-conference might shrink to just two or three games. Some classic rivalries might be preserved, but I'm not so certain on others.