Division 1 College Conference Realignment

dfwabel

Two other points which aren't being discussed:

• Bringing over Pitt right now breaks up the conference rivalry between Pitt and West Virginia. Regardless of academics (and really, with the exception of perhaps the Big Ten, who's paying attention to academics in the formation of athletics conferences these days?), West Virginia would seem to be the best fit for the ACC in terms of natural ties. Bringing them over would keep their rivalry with Pitt, plus you'd have regional tie-ins with Virginia, Virginia Tech and Maryland.
  • The addition of Syracuse and Pitt means that there will be an odd number of teams for both baseball and men's lacrosse (Syracuse does not have a baseball team and Pitt does not have a men's lacrosse team). For lacrosse, it's probably not a big deal to have 5 schools involved, but 15 schools in baseball presents some scheduling issues. Perhaps this is another indication that the ACC isn't done expanding yet (ie, accept one more baseball school and one more non-baseball school, and ideally the same thing with men's lacrosse). Or perhaps they'd encourage Syracuse to take up baseball again and for Pitt to start men's lacrosse - the ACC has traditionally wanted all its members to field teams in its core sports.

I can't see WV playing Marshall, Pitt AND Maryland every year out of conference. One of those three will probably get axed, and it's probably not going to be Marshall (the governor of West Virginia pretty much strong-armed WV into keeping that series alive).

I can't see WV playing Marshall, Pitt AND Maryland every year out of conference. One of those three will probably get axed, and it's probably not going to be Marshall (the governor of West Virginia pretty much strong-armed WV into keeping that series alive).

Maryland isn't really a rival, so that would go if need be. I know the Huntington crowd and the state government would like to keep the "coal bowl" alive, but I don't think it's an untouchable rivalry.

1zqy8ok.gif

• The addition of Syracuse and Pitt means that there will be an odd number of teams for both baseball and men's lacrosse (Syracuse does not have a baseball team and Pitt does not have a men's lacrosse team). For lacrosse, it's probably not a big deal to have 5 schools involved, but 15 schools in baseball presents some scheduling issues. Perhaps this is another indication that the ACC isn't done expanding yet (ie, accept one more baseball school and one more non-baseball school, and ideally the same thing with men's lacrosse). Or perhaps they'd encourage Syracuse to take up baseball again and for Pitt to start men's lacrosse - the ACC has traditionally wanted all its members to field teams in its core sports.

Based on this, I'm predicting UConn and Rutgers are the next two teams to jump. Why?

Well, you may not know this (and a lot of UConn fans don't either), but the Huskies play very good baseball. Lost to South Carolina in the Super Regionals this past year. So if you're looking for a 16th baseball team, you could do worse.

As for lacrosse, there are only three teams in the BE that play both lacrosse and FBS football. Syracuse already left for the ACC. The second is Notre Dame, and we all know they're going nowhere. The third? Rutgers. They're not good, but they have a team.

So there's a perfectly logical explanation. Which means none of it happens. :P

Sodboy13 said:
As you watch more basketball, you will learn to appreciate the difference between "defense" and "couldn't find the rim with a pair of bloodhounds and a Garmin."

meet the new page, not the same as the old page.

Maryland isn't really a rival, so that would go if need be. I know the Huntington crowd and the state government would like to keep the "coal bowl" alive, but I don't think it's an untouchable rivalry.

I was about to say, there seems to be a whole lot of gnashing of teeth over a game that I didn't realize had all this bad blood. I was under the impression Maryland only cared about Virginia, and not some Appalachian hilljacks. And yeah, my general read is that West Virginia would love to be rid of Marshall as an annual opponent.

------------------------------------------------------------

FWIW I wouldn't be terribly surprised if the College Football Premiership were to push for a 4 non conference, 9 conference 13 game schedule.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

• Bringing over Pitt right now breaks up the conference rivalry between Pitt and West Virginia. Regardless of academics (and really, with the exception of perhaps the Big Ten, who's paying attention to academics in the formation of athletics conferences these days?), West Virginia would seem to be the best fit for the ACC in terms of natural ties. Bringing them over would keep their rivalry with Pitt, plus you'd have regional tie-ins with Virginia, Virginia Tech and Maryland.

Just have nonconference games or series during that time. That's how other leagues handle this.

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Men's basketball, an actual revenue-generating sport, is being treated as an afterthought in all this conference realignment hubbub. There's no way lacrosse and baseball factor into who goes where.

Make no mistake, I'm not saying that baseball and lacrosse are going to change what the ACC does in terms of bringing in new dance partners - I'm just saying that it's going to be something the conference has to consider moving forward and for which they'll need to come up with solutions.

Clearly, the ACC wins on the men's basketball side by bringing in Syracuse and Pitt. There's no question about that.

Moving forward, if UConn wants to be in, I think the ACC takes them in a heartbeat - even though their football program isn't hugely strong, the basketball side makes up for that in spades.

I don't really understand Rutgers - it's a good school, but their football and basketball programs are awful. Plus, the ACC now has a big foothold in the New York market with Syracuse, so I'm not sure what they'd gain by adding Rutgers. WVU makes more sense, IMO.

But he who controls the Rutgers controls the universe.

Today, we are all otaku.

I think if another 2 schools from the Big East I'd also say West Virginia & UConn. The reason I would think WV is their football & basketball programs would be an excellent pick up. Plus they'll still have the rivalry with Pitt while renewing the Rivalry between the Mountaineers & Virginia Tech. Like everyone else, UConn in the ACC would work because its one of the best basketball programs out there & along with them, UNC, Duke, the ACC could become (if it isn't already) the college hoops program. I mean they're pretty close now with the addition of Syracuse.

baltimoreravens.png

So, if the rumors of Notre Dame and Texas going to the Big 10 are true... what does that mean for Oklahoma and Oklahoma State? Would they still lean toward joining the Pac 12 or would then start to lean toward the SEC now?

What about joining the Big 10? Would that be within the realm of possibilities? The Big 10's ideal situation would be to form 4, 4 team divisions... possibly with 2 separate leagues. It would almost set up things perfectly... 1.) Texas, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Nebraska. 2.) Ohio State, Penn State, Michigan State, Indiana. 3.) Michigan, Notre Dame, Purdue, Illinois. 4.) Minnesota, Wisconsin, Iowa, Northwestern.

Dunno. Its interesting to say the least. I'm extremely interested to see what Mizzou is going to do. I know they want to join both the SEC and the Big 10 it seems.

_CLEVELANDTHATILOVEIndians.jpg

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

I'm seeing multiple sources on twitter (sports news is pretty much the only thing I look at on there) saying they're finalizing bringing Texas, Texas Tech, Oklahoma and Ok State to the PAC. It says Texas will have to give up some Longhorn Network money, but will still by far be the richest program in the country.

I was about to say, there seems to be a whole lot of gnashing of teeth over a game that I didn't realize had all this bad blood. I was under the impression Maryland only cared about Virginia, and not some Appalachian hilljacks. And yeah, my general read is that West Virginia would love to be rid of Marshall as an annual opponent.

------------------------------------------------------------

FWIW I wouldn't be terribly surprised if the College Football Premiership were to push for a 4 non conference, 9 conference 13 game schedule.

Maryland's biggest football rivals are (in order) Penn State, West Virginia, and Virginia.

So, if the rumors of Notre Dame and Texas going to the Big 10 are true... what does that mean for Oklahoma and Oklahoma State? Would they still lean toward joining the Pac 12 or would then start to lean toward the SEC now?

1. Those rumors are not true.

2. Even if they were, the terms of admission in that post are not worth it.

Today, we are all otaku.

I saw if the Oklahoma and Texas schools go to the PAC, the remaining BigXII schools, Mizzou, KU, K-State, Iowa State and Baylor joining up with the remaining Big East schools, Cincy, Louisville, TCU and USF to form a conference. I'd even possibly maybe add Houston, SMU and Memphis to make 12.