Division 1 College Conference Realignment

dfwabel

Now the SEC has to get off their rearends and start adding teams.

They have to add at least one more in to go along with aTm. They could just decide to go 16, too.

They have to act fast though. If they don't start going after teams now, UCF might be the only option left (which, as for non AQ teams, is actually probably the best option).

b0b5d4f702adf623d75285ca50ee7632.jpg
Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

The Big 10 needs to stop sitting idly by. If Texas, Texas Tech, Oklahoma and Oklahoma State are all on the cusp of joining the Pac12, Texas A&M and West Virginia are pushing to join the SEC, and Pitt and Syracuse are ALREADY gone to the ACC, the Big 10 needs to start making a push.

I think them not not going after Mizzou could really back fire. I always thought that West Virginia, Virginia, and Virginia Tech could be nice potential pick ups, but if those are the 3 rumored to want to join the SEC to make a 16 Team Conference, then the Big 10 is going to run out of options. I don't think Rutgers and Maryland is there best option at this point.

_CLEVELANDTHATILOVEIndians.jpg

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

I still say they go after Missouri, WVU, and Virginia Tech.

My reasoning for Virginia Tech is now with the additions to the ACC, basketball wise, V-Tech loses a lot in the conference. Atleast if they join the SEC, the competition isn't as tough.

The ACC buyout price prevents them from leaving. It's going to be UConn and UCF going to the ACC. UConn goes for obvious reasons. UCF goes because I think the SEC wakes up, and adds WVU, A&M, Louisville, and USF. They'll try to go after USF, but when the SEC offers, the jump. So they turn to the next best option. UCF is the largest university in Florida, and very rich. If they do join, they'll probably expand their stadium to around 60,000 (which I believe is already planned). If they join the ACC, they're competitive enough in the major sports to make the jump.

Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

My reasoning for Virginia Tech is now with the additions to the ACC, basketball wise, V-Tech loses a lot in the conference. Atleast if they join the SEC, the competition isn't as tough.

The ACC buyout price prevents them from leaving. It's going to be UConn and UCF going to the ACC. UConn goes for obvious reasons. UCF goes because I think the SEC wakes up, and adds WVU, A&M, Louisville, and USF. They'll try to go after USF, but when the SEC offers, the jump. So they turn to the next best option. UCF is the largest university in Florida, and very rich. If they do join, they'll probably expand their stadium to around 60,000 (which I believe is already planned). If they join the ACC, they're competitive enough in the major sports to make the jump.

Sounds good enough to me.

I didn't even think of USF to the SEC and UCF to the ACC makes a lot of sense.

The Big 10 needs to stop sitting idly by. If Texas, Texas Tech, Oklahoma and Oklahoma State are all on the cusp of joining the Pac12, Texas A&M and West Virginia are pushing to join the SEC, and Pitt and Syracuse are ALREADY gone to the ACC, the Big 10 needs to start making a push.

I think them not not going after Mizzou could really back fire. I always thought that West Virginia, Virginia, and Virginia Tech could be nice potential pick ups, but if those are the 3 rumored to want to join the SEC to make a 16 Team Conference, then the Big 10 is going to run out of options. I don't think Rutgers and Maryland is there best option at this point.

Maryland's a strong athletic department that would help them grow BTN. As much as I've advocated against it in this thread, the B1G should probably pursue Missouri at this point, though.

6fQjS3M.png

Encase people are wondering

http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation/post/_/id/47484/report-pac-16-with-texas-is-close

And Oakland, honestly, that was very uncalled for. I apologize for likening you to KevinW. , but you didn't need to do that.

Encase people are wondering

http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation/post/_/id/47484/report-pac-16-with-texas-is-close

And Oakland, honestly, that was very uncalled for. I apologize for likening you to KevinW. , but you didn't need to do that.

Ignore it, I know it's hard to do, but don't feed it.

And it seems like the PAC couldn't let Texas go somewhere else, no matter what they'll still get money from them anyways.

There has been no talk of UCF to the ACC. Rutgers may end up being the 16th. No one is leaving the ACC. The price is too high. UWV, Mizzou and Louisville are the top possibilities for the SEC. If they go 16, could be all 3. If Notre Dame does indeed go to the Big Ten, then they need to find a 14th or more. Then Mizzou really becomes a hot commodity for both conferences. And with the Big East basically dismantling, TCU could come back into play as well.

There has been no talk of UCF to the ACC. Rutgers may end up being the 16th. No one is leaving the ACC. The price is too high. UWV, Mizzou and Louisville are the top possibilities for the SEC. If they go 16, could be all 3. If Notre Dame does indeed go to the Big Ten, then they need to find a 14th or more. Then Mizzou really becomes a hot commodity for both conferences. And with the Big East basically dismantling, TCU could come back into play as well.

There was no previous talk of Pittsburg and Syracuse to the ACC either. Nobody wants Rutgers. They bring nothing to the table but mediocre football and women's basketball. I think they join either the B1G because the B1G becomes desperate after they realize all the teams they wanted are gone, or they go to some other conference made up of all of the other BCS teams that were left behind. I think MIzzou goes to the B1G. It makes more geographical sense, and I'm not sure they want to compete in the SEC.

You're assuming that UConn and Rutgers stay, which there's already been talk that UConn has already reached out to the ACC, which could pull Rutgers in with them. This would only leave Cincinnai, Louisville, South Florida and the incoming TCU. You could pair those 4 with the remaining 5 Big XIi schools to form an AQ conference, but there's a big possibility of Mizzou going to either the Big Ten or SEC and possibly Louisville to the SEC. If a Big XII/Big East merger were to come to fruition, I'd probably keep the Big XII name because there'd be more of their teams in it and regionally, it would be more appropriate as USF would really be the only eastern school.

Yes, but...

This scenario assumes that only football matters. But if I'm Providence/Seton Hall/Villanova/Georgetown etc., why would I care about being mashed together with a bunch of plains state schools to save a football conference that I don't participate in? Wouldn't the sensible thing to do be to split off and form our own basketball conference where the member schools have more control over what's happening in their own conference (including prestige level and revenue split)?

There was no previous talk of Pittsburg and Syracuse to the ACC either. Nobody wants Rutgers. They bring nothing to the table but mediocre football and women's basketball. I think they join either the B1G because the B1G becomes desperate after they realize all the teams they wanted are gone, or they go to some other conference made up of all of the other BCS teams that were left behind. I think MIzzou goes to the B1G. It makes more geographical sense, and I'm not sure they want to compete in the SEC.

UCF is the same as Rutgers, mediocre in both and not nearly the academic level. Their best bet at improvement woul be a stripped down Big East. And as the fact that you didn't hear about Pitt or 'Cuse, UCF is not big time playmakers like them. No one cares about what UCF might do or cares if they plan to do anything.

You're assuming that UConn and Rutgers stay, which there's already been talk that UConn has already reached out to the ACC, which could pull Rutgers in with them. This would only leave Cincinnai, Louisville, South Florida and the incoming TCU. You could pair those 4 with the remaining 5 Big XIi schools to form an AQ conference, but there's a big possibility of Mizzou going to either the Big Ten or SEC and possibly Louisville to the SEC. If a Big XII/Big East merger were to come to fruition, I'd probably keep the Big XII name because there'd be more of their teams in it and regionally, it would be more appropriate as USF would really be the only eastern school.

Yes, but...

This scenario assumes that only football matters. But if I'm Providence/Seton Hall/Villanova/Georgetown etc., why would I care about being mashed together with a bunch of plains state schools to save a football conference that I don't participate in? Wouldn't the sensible thing to do be to split off and form our own basketball conference where the member schools have more control over what's happening in their own conference (including prestige level and revenue split)?

Well yeah the bball schools could stay together, but not with the football schools. To them, football is what ultimately dictates what they're gonna do. And that may force them to move to the other power conferences that are not in danger of going bye bye.

UCF is the same as Rutgers, mediocre in both and not nearly the academic level. Their best bet at improvement woul be a stripped down Big East. And as the fact that you didn't hear about Pitt or 'Cuse, UCF is not big time playmakers like them. No one cares about what UCF might do or cares if they plan to do anything.

Except UCF is better at both sports than Rutgers, they are located in metropolitan Orlando, and they are the biggest university in Florida, with over 56,000 students. They're also stinking rich. They would compete in the ACC much better than Rutgers could.

Didn't the Big XII up its buyout penalties after last offseason?

The ACC's buyout hike is a symbolic deterrent, not a prohibitive factor. If you want out, you'll find the money to get out.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

They also don't have the Big East connections to the current, future and possible ACC members. They may end up having to take them as a package deal with UConn. UCF is simply not a player. They're a last resort when your other last resorts, like South Florida, don't pan out.