Division 1 College Conference Realignment

dfwabel

Those two will stay at 12 as long as they can, and try to keep the Rose Bowl Pac-12/B1G as a separate event.

Once again ensuring future generations of the ability to watch a completely undeserving B1G team play in a BCS bowl against a much superior Pac-12 opponent, a la Illinois/USC 2007.

To be fair, Illinois was a 9 win team that barely made the BCS at all. Rose bowl only picked them to keep the tradition. They shouldn't have been there. Not that Ohio state would have won either...but they were more deserving to be there.

In the last 10 years more more teams from outside either conference have won the Rose Bowl anyway.

Why do people only look at recent history? In the 90s the big ten could have said the exact same thing...

Missouri is NOT Southern.

Depends where you are in the state. You get west of Eureka and you can practically hear the banjo music wafting into your car.

Which isn't necessarily a bad thing! You can make the best of it and pretend that John Law's comin' for ya. Game over, man, game over.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Missouri is NOT Southern.

Depends where you are in the state. You get west of Eureka and you can practically hear the banjo music wafting into your car.

Which isn't necessarily a bad thing! You can make the best of it and pretend that John Law's comin' for ya. Game over, man, game over.

Not to mention the state of Missouri is contiguous with three states already represented in the SEC (Arkansas, Kentucky, Tennessee).

Why do people only look at recent history? In the 90s the big ten could have said the exact same thing...

We're too lazy to look up what happened before 2005, and we don't particularly care.*

Don't deny it, it's true.

*Except in the case of Notre Dame. Because Irish fans demand that we know how many titles they won 15 years before any of us were born.

If I'm Oklahoma, I'm still looking for a divorce from Texas. It's pretty clear Texas isn't getting rid of their network and because of that, Oklahoma got denied their move. I don't want to see college football change so drastically, but I think it would be in Oklahoma's best interest to find a new home that isn't shared with the Longhorns.

If I'm Oklahoma, I'm still looking for a divorce from Texas. It's pretty clear Texas isn't getting rid of their network and because of that, Oklahoma got denied their move. I don't want to see college football change so drastically, but I think it would be in Oklahoma's best interest to find a new home that isn't shared with the Longhorns.

The Big East? :blink:

TLN isn't part of basic cable, is it? If not, it'll probably end up like The Mtn. - unwatched and irrelevant, and more trouble than it's worth. Hopefully, for the sake of college athletics as a whole, Texas cuts its losses sooner rather than later.

We're too lazy to look up what happened before 2005, and we don't particularly care.*

Don't deny it, it's true.

*Except in the case of Notre Dame. Because Irish fans demand that we know how many titles they won 15 years before any of us were born.

At least you're honest ^_^

TLN isn't part of basic cable, is it? If not, it'll probably end up like The Mtn. - unwatched and irrelevant, and more trouble than it's worth. Hopefully, for the sake of college athletics as a whole, Texas cuts its losses sooner rather than later.

This denial should have been a wakeup call for Texas then.

So I guess now TLN is just for Texas's olympic sports?

I suspect they'd shut down or repurpose the channel (a la BYU's TV "network") before they allowed it to come to that.

But what is most likely to happen now, IMO, is that TLN continues to exist with Texas football and basketball still on it and either: a) Texas stays in the Big XII/Big East mashup with less political power in-conference or B) Texas goes independent for football to prove a point and maintains conference membership in the Big XII for everything else.

Unintentional puns, HURRAH! In all seriousness, I would like to see OU, Ok St, TT, and Houston to join. That would not only make the conference much more competitive, but it would also expand the market a bit. The only other option other than Houston would be Nevada or UNLV, and we've discussed that to death.

b0b5d4f702adf623d75285ca50ee7632.jpg
Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

B) Texas goes independent for football to prove a point and maintains conference membership in the Big XII for everything else.

Dan Beebe would have to be in charge for something that brazen to happen. Anyone else with a spine would kick Texas out completely. "You want your football independence? Fine. Have fun playing your olympic sports in the Great West conference with Texas-Pan American and Utah Valley State."

Those two will stay at 12 as long as they can, and try to keep the Rose Bowl Pac-12/B1G as a separate event.

Once again ensuring future generations of the ability to watch a completely undeserving B1G team play in a BCS bowl against a much superior Pac-12 opponent, a la Illinois/USC 2007.

That was just one year and Illinois didn't even win the Big Ten that year. Ohio State won the conference and played in the title game so they picked Illinois to play just because they were a Big Ten team. Illinois doesn't play in the BCS that year if Ohio State doesn't make the title game. And last time there was a Big Ten/Pac-10 matchup Ohio State beat Oregon.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

It's not the Big Ten's fault that they keep sending the Conference runner up against a USC team that once again :censored: the bed against a crappy conference foe and therefore got knocked out of the national title hunt. Maybe if USC actually played to its potential the entire season some of those Rose Bowls would be more competitive.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

B) Texas goes independent for football to prove a point and maintains conference membership in the Big XII for everything else.

Dan Beebe would have to be in charge for something that brazen to happen. Anyone else with a spine would kick Texas out completely. "You want your football independence? Fine. Have fun playing your olympic sports in the Great West conference with Texas-Pan American and Utah Valley State."

True, but remember this is Texas. If it isn't played with a ball made from pig hide, it doesn't matter.

Unintentional puns, HURRAH! In all seriousness, I would like to see OU, Ok St, TT, and Houston to join. That would not only make the conference much more competitive, but it would also expand the market a bit. The only other option other than Houston would be Nevada or UNLV, and we've discussed that to death.

Any combination of those teams would get Colorado steamed for bringing in schools that would divide the conference into east and west (even if it is in four-school segments - it would still be NE/NW/SE/SW).

Any combination of those teams would get Colorado steamed for bringing in schools that would divide the conference into east and west (even if it is in four-school segments - it would still be NE/NW/SE/SW).

So Colorado gets mad. What are they going to do about it, join the big east?

b0b5d4f702adf623d75285ca50ee7632.jpg
Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

True, but remember this is Texas. If it isn't played with a ball made from pig hide, it doesn't matter.

Baseball's actually pretty big at UT. Men's basketball as well. They're not at the fanatical level of importance as football, but they're not irrelevant.

The only other option other than Houston would be Nevada or UNLV, and we've discussed that to death.

Y'alls knew this was coming.

/Nevada's broke and Houston has reputation issues.

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Pod system I saw kicked around was round robin against your pod and 2 games against the other 3 pods. That guarantees every "east" school two trips to the West Coast per season.

Today, we are all otaku.

The Longhorn Network is the 800-pound gorilla in the room. The B1G and SEC won't take Texas with that baggage, and evidently neither will the Pac-12. How Texas is still hanging onto it is beyond me. Maybe because it was UT's and Dan Beebe's love child?

So I guess now TLN is just for Texas's olympic sports?

B.S. Over a year before you joined this board, the idea of Texas having a channel was talked when Nebraska and Colorado decided to leave the Big XII. The fact that they partnered with ESPN and that there was interest to air Texas high school games was the recruiting issue. The games were not the big issue, rather the Texas public school leagues,the UIL, is still a part of the University of Texas.

Plus, BYU has had BYUtv since 2000 and no university aligned with them outwardly to the degree of the Big XII schools complained about the revenue from said channel which is available in 60M+ households if they want it.