Division 1 College Conference Realignment

dfwabel

This whole idea of crisis-averted is foolish. There is going to be further realignment. It's a given. Texas A&M and probably West Virginia/Virginia/Virginia Tech is going to the SEC. A 14 team Football Conference is just the precursor to a 16 team Football Conference.

If we know one thing, its that the Big Ten love them some money. If they can bring in a solid school in both Football and Basketball with some sort of decent academic reputation (Mizzou, Kansas State), they will probably do it. I think the Big Ten is waiting for Notre Dame, but I think ND is waiting for the Big 10. Notre Dame wants to be the last domino that falls. They don't want to be a +1, they want to be THE 16th member of a the Big Ten Super Conference. I honestly think that is what they want.

Even if the schools don't have that great of a revenue-generating sports teams, but bring a larger foot print with major markets (Maryland, Rutgers), the Big Ten would also have an inclination to make a play for them. Money is the controlling factor, followed by academic respectability, followed by athletic compatibility.

Do you ever read up on anything before you post? West Virginia has been denied by both the SEC and ACC. They're pretty much stuck in the Big East. Mizzou and the SEC seem to have an informal agreement.

Just because they have been denied now, doesn't mean they will be denied in the future. As for Mizzou... Mizzou was begging for the Big 10 to bring them in. I think Mizzou knows they are a better fit with Nebraska in the Big 10 rather than in the SEC. So they may have a back door agreement, but I think that's the extent of it... a back door agreement.

UWV is obviously not the SEC's top choice, maybe not even in the top 5. Sounds like you're having trouble letting go of the plan you thought would happen.

The Big East is like the town slut of the BCS. Everybody loses their AQ virginity to her. Then they think they're hot stuff until they realize everyones laughing at them and left with nothing but ridicule and herpes. All the pathetic schools who can't get in anywhere else get in her and everyone that's been in for awhile is trying to get the hell out.

If I'm Oklahoma, I'm still looking for a divorce from Texas. It's pretty clear Texas isn't getting rid of their network and because of that, Oklahoma got denied their move. I don't want to see college football change so drastically, but I think it would be in Oklahoma's best interest to find a new home that isn't shared with the Longhorns.

The Big East? :blink:

TLN isn't part of basic cable, is it? If not, it'll probably end up like The Mtn. - unwatched and irrelevant, and more trouble than it's worth. Hopefully, for the sake of college athletics as a whole, Texas cuts its losses sooner rather than later.

Unintentional puns, HURRAH! In all seriousness, I would like to see OU, Ok St, TT, and Houston to join. That would not only make the conference much more competitive, but it would also expand the market a bit. The only other option other than Houston would be Nevada or UNLV, and we've discussed that to death.

Any combination of those teams would get Colorado steamed for bringing in schools that would divide the conference into east and west (even if it is in four-school segments - it would still be NE/NW/SE/SW).

Pod system I saw kicked around was round robin against your pod and 2 games against the other 3 pods. That guarantees every "east" school two trips to the West Coast per season.

Only two? Colorado has at least three trips to the west coast guaranteed - four if they don't play at Utah - every season with the deal they have in place now. It's entirely possible with the addition of OU, Okie State, TTech, and ____ that they play a conference schedule in football one season without ever setting foot in the state of California.

The University of Richmond may consider a move to the Big East. Another FCS school going big?

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/sports/college-sports/2011/sep/21/tdsport01-big-east-calling-a-possibility-for-ur-ar-1324892/

Good to see the TICKS keeping their options open.

The funny thing is that UR is probably the fifth-most followed program in the city of Richmond, behind VCU, Virginia, Va. Tech and Old Dominion. And then you still have the other CAA football schools.

Texas A&M and probably West Virginia/Virginia/Virginia Tech is going to the SEC.

As a UVA grad, I can tell you for a fact that we are not going to the SEC (regardless of what Tech does). There would be a full-scale revolt among faculty and donors to the University if we joined a conference with such a low academic reputation. What you might not know is that athletics at Virginia, while having a long and storied history, also has been a constant battle against a sizable community of individuals who don't want the University to participate in Division I athletics AT ALL. And believe it or not, many of these people are very powerful and have a lot of connections in academia, in the administration and at the state level. The fact that we are 1-FBS and have such relatively successful non-football and non-basketball sports in that environment is quite impressive.

The University of Richmond may consider a move to the Big East. Another FCS school going big?

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/sports/college-sports/2011/sep/21/tdsport01-big-east-calling-a-possibility-for-ur-ar-1324892/

Can the Spiders actually upgrade Robins Stadium to FCS standards, or is there a bigger facility off campus?

Can the Spiders actually upgrade Robins Stadium to FCS standards, or is there a bigger facility off campus?

There isn't a bigger facility worth using. Richmond City Stadium is a dump - it makes Memphis's digs look top-of-the-line - and is a big reason why VCU hasn't been actively pursuing a football team.

There isn't a bigger facility worth using. Richmond City Stadium is a dump - it makes Memphis's digs look top-of-the-line - and is a big reason why VCU hasn't been actively pursuing a football team.

Along with the old president said as long as he was in charge, VCU would never have a football team... I can still wish though. Although, I think if U of R ends up going to the Big East, it may get the wheels turning. There was also reports of VCU buying City Stadium but its only a pipe dream at this moment.

baltimoreravens.png

At a glance, Robins Stadium seems to be somewhat difficult to expand to 20,000+ to qualify for FBS football. The stadium is boxed-in by a road on one side of the field and by a building/tennis courts on the other side. Not saying it couldn't be done, but it might be better to relinquish the stadium back to the soccer/lacrosse/track programs and build a new facility elsewhere if they are looking at joining the Big East for football.

At a glance, Robins Stadium seems to be somewhat difficult to expand to 20,000+ to qualify for FBS football. The stadium is boxed-in by a road on one side of the field and by a building/tennis courts on the other side. Not saying it couldn't be done, but it might be better to relinquish the stadium back to the soccer/lacrosse/track programs and build a new facility elsewhere if they are looking at joining the Big East for football.

Good luck with that. They just built Robins Stadium two years ago.

Along with the old president said as long as he was in charge, VCU would never have a football team... I can still wish though. Although, I think if U of R ends up going to the Big East, it may get the wheels turning. There was also reports of VCU buying City Stadium but its only a pipe dream at this moment.

Prez. Rao said he'd take a "serious look" at the viability of adding football, but the simple truth is that VCU's donor support is almost nonexistent. Especially for a school with 32,000 students. The Final Four run pretty much solidified VCU's position as a basketball school and I don't know if anyone is really clamoring for a football team now.

ODU fans can wave their football team at us all they want, but most of the cost for that came from donors and boosters. VCU had to raise student fees to come up with the additiona $700k per year to cover Shaka Smart's raise and the raises for his staff.

Very true.

I think JMU or ODU would be more likely to move up to the FBS level, in all honesty. Both have facilities that would qualify. The question is whether there is the will at either school to compete at that level.

Very true.

I think JMU or ODU would be more likely to move up to the FBS level, in all honesty. Both have facilities that would qualify. The question is whether there is the will at either school to compete at that level.

ODU's football team has no prestige as it was just started two years ago. JMU probably won't go either, largely because Harrisonburg, VA is located somewhere between nowhere and purgatory. Both are pretty tied into their regional rivalries in the CAA. If anything, I think all of the Virginia CAA football schools will probably go as a bundle (ODU, JMU, W&M, UR).

This whole idea of crisis-averted is foolish. There is going to be further realignment. It's a given. Texas A&M and probably West Virginia/Virginia/Virginia Tech is going to the SEC. A 14 team Football Conference is just the precursor to a 16 team Football Conference.

If we know one thing, its that the Big Ten love them some money. If they can bring in a solid school in both Football and Basketball with some sort of decent academic reputation (Mizzou, Kansas State), they will probably do it. I think the Big Ten is waiting for Notre Dame, but I think ND is waiting for the Big 10. Notre Dame wants to be the last domino that falls. They don't want to be a +1, they want to be THE 16th member of a the Big Ten Super Conference. I honestly think that is what they want.

Even if the schools don't have that great of a revenue-generating sports teams, but bring a larger foot print with major markets (Maryland, Rutgers), the Big Ten would also have an inclination to make a play for them. Money is the controlling factor, followed by academic respectability, followed by athletic compatibility.

Do you ever read up on anything before you post? West Virginia has been denied by both the SEC and ACC. They're pretty much stuck in the Big East. Mizzou and the SEC seem to have an informal agreement.

Just because they have been denied now, doesn't mean they will be denied in the future. As for Mizzou... Mizzou was begging for the Big 10 to bring them in. I think Mizzou knows they are a better fit with Nebraska in the Big 10 rather than in the SEC. So they may have a back door agreement, but I think that's the extent of it... a back door agreement.

UWV is obviously not the SEC's top choice, maybe not even in the top 5. Sounds like you're having trouble letting go of the plan you thought would happen.

I didn't say WV is their top choice. I think Florida State or Miami would be a better option. But with the ACC growing and stabalizing, I think it is less and less likely that they are going to get one of those two big name schools. I think a more realistic option would be West Virginia when all things are considered.

There isn't really anything to hold on to or let go. Its looking at how Nebraska, Colorado, Utah, Pitt, and Syracuse have made every school in major college basketball/football uncertain. It has already been reported that the Big 10 is interested in expanding to 16 teams. They are interested in a 4 team, 4 division format. Sure, every commissioner and director is going to say how great things are, and how happy they are with their current conference/situation... up until something significant happens.

Again, TA&M wants out of the SEC. I don't see the SEC doing a Big 10 and having an odd number of football schools, so its fairly certain they are going to bring in another school to make 14. When they go to 14, I don't see how the Big 10 will sit there and lag behind. The Big 10 has been proactive in just about everything, the Big 10 Network, the TV contract, the expansion, etc. etc.

There are reasons that every month there is a new report of realignment. We could see situations or "plans" that come out of no where, like the report of Notre Dame and Texas meeting in Chicago to talk admission into the Big 10, that come out of nowhere and blind side everyone - whether they are true or not. There are reasons why schools like Pitt and Syracuse with all their history and tradition bolted like bats out of hell. There is going to be significant conference realignment. It may not be in tomorrow, or in a week, or in a year... but at some point, the dominoes are going to fall - if they haven't already began.

_CLEVELANDTHATILOVEIndians.jpg

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

Very true.

ODU's football team has no prestige as it was just started two years ago. JMU probably won't go either, largely because Harrisonburg, VA is located somewhere between nowhere and purgatory. Both are pretty tied into their regional rivalries in the CAA. If anything, I think all of the Virginia CAA football schools will probably go as a bundle (ODU, JMU, W&M, UR).

Considering that I'm pretty sure ODU's plan is to eventually be FBS, they might go... I could be wrong, though.

6fQjS3M.png

Very true.

Considering that I'm pretty sure ODU's plan is to eventually be FBS, they might go... I could be wrong, though.

I think ODU would need more seating capacity, if I'm not mistaken. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I believe ODU made their football team with the intent to play in the CAA for the foreseeable future. ODU has big rivalries in-state with JMU and W&M which would be lost with a unilateral move to FBS. Also the non-AQ FBS options aren't particularly attractive to ODU right now. C-USA would be a lateral move in basketball and the travel costs would be a huge drawback.

UNC-Charlotte, on the other hand, has made it clear they are going all-in with their bid to get into FBS. I think they're aiming to join C-USA to give East Carolina a travel partner and a conference rivalry the Pirates currently lack.