Division 1 College Conference Realignment

dfwabel

Good for ECU. They deserve to! Good, solid program that contends. See this what I like to see, none of this Texas/OU going to the Pac 12 and what not, schools like ECU doing their best to get into a good conference, so they have at least have a shot at quality bowl game or better.

LOL... if they go AQ, there's really no excuse left for keeping Boise out. ECU is located in Tar Heel and Wolfpack country, they have no signature wins in any sport (other than Miami once in the mid-'90s but that hardly matters now), Dowdy-Ficklen Stadium will be smaller than Bronco Stadium (after renovations), and ECU can't be bringing in any ratings.

ECU joining the Big East has nothing to do with Boise. ECU has the opportunity to join the weakest of the BCS conferences. That has no effect whatsoever on whether Boise should get into the PAC. Hell the Big Easy may not have AQ status much longer.

I didn't specify a conference. Honestly, Boise's only chance at AQ status is either the Big 12 somehow clinging on to theirs and inviting BSU, or the Big 12 folding and AQ status being granted to either the Mountain West or an MWC/CUSA federation.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

I see my board wide shun of Spleen isnt cathcing on, I really wish it would

Anything other than football is completely irrelevant in conference realignment

Basketball isn't COMPLETELY irrelevant... and neither is Academics to a couple of the conferences. But they are about as close to completely irrelevant as something could possibly be.

_CLEVELANDTHATILOVEIndians.jpg

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

Good for ECU. They deserve to! Good, solid program that contends. See this what I like to see, none of this Texas/OU going to the Pac 12 and what not, schools like ECU doing their best to get into a good conference, so they have at least have a shot at quality bowl game or better.

LOL... if they go AQ, there's really no excuse left for keeping Boise out. ECU is located in Tar Heel and Wolfpack country, they have no signature wins in any sport (other than Miami once in the mid-'90s but that hardly matters now), Dowdy-Ficklen Stadium will be smaller than Bronco Stadium (after renovations), and ECU can't be bringing in any ratings.

ECU joining the Big East has nothing to do with Boise. ECU has the opportunity to join the weakest of the BCS conferences. That has no effect whatsoever on whether Boise should get into the PAC. Hell the Big Easy may not have AQ status much longer.

I didn't specify a conference. Honestly, Boise's only chance at AQ status is either the Big 12 somehow clinging on to theirs and inviting BSU, or the Big 12 folding and AQ status being granted to either the Mountain West or an MWC/CUSA federation.

No but your statement read like the BCS is choosing one over the other when they have nothing to do with each other.

I see my board wide shun of Spleen isnt cathcing on, I really wish it would

Anything other than football is completely irrelevant in conference realignment

Do you have anything better to do than attack me?

b0b5d4f702adf623d75285ca50ee7632.jpg
Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

Basketball isn't COMPLETELY irrelevant... and neither is Academics to a couple of the conferences. But they are about as close to completely irrelevant as something could possibly be.

Not true on either point in certain cases. While football controls the discussion in college athletics, men's basketball and academics both are a decent part of it for certain conferences (ACC for both, Big Ten for academics only, etc).

Something we already know.

Columbia Journalism Review: ESPN Obscures Its Own Role in the Conference Realignment Mess

From the editorial:

If you cover college sports for ESPN, you?ve got a real problem right now.

The biggest story these days is the conference realignment that?s bringing tectonic shifts to the NCAA landscape, ending century-old rivalries, and setting longtime partners at each others? throats.

Problem is, ESPN itself is at the heart of why this is happening. Its Longhorn Network deal with the University of Texas kicked off the mess, sending Texas A&M to the SEC because they?re so mad about the deal, which gives Texas $300 million over twenty years, puts a conference game on the network, and wants to show high school games and highlights (ever seen a ticked-off Aggie? It?s not pretty). The idea of a school-only network played a role last year in sending the Nebraska Cornhuskers to the Big Ten. That helped lead Colorado to leave for the Pac-12 and left the Big 12 near death, having lost a quarter of its members, including two premier ones. The instability in the Big 12 and movement toward superconferences surely played a part in the ACC?s recent raiding of the Big East?s Pittsburgh and Syracuse.

Imagine if The Wall Street Journal reported that a hacking scandal had roiled Britain and failed to note News Corp.?s role in it. That?s analogous to what?s happening in this column. ESPN?s network is/was the core issue in the Big 12 turmoil.

Why have I heard nothing about Memphis to the Big East?

... oh yeah, because college basketball is irrelevant.

Carry on.

Also Louisville would fight to the last ditch to keep Memphis out of AQ glory. That's why Memphis didn't come over in the Big East's raid of Conference USA.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Not true on either point in certain cases. While football controls the discussion in college athletics, men's basketball and academics both are a decent part of it for certain conferences (ACC for both, Big Ten for academics only, etc).

Academics, pfft. You know, as much crap as SEC fans rightfully get for that S-E-C-S-E-C "I hope our rivals win because somehow it makes us better" chanting, the Big Ten is the most masturbatory conference in college sports. At least all that South-will-rise-again stuff terminates at the end of football season; Big Ten circle-jerking permeates every aspect of everything.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Academics, pfft. You know, as much crap as SEC fans rightfully get for that S-E-C-S-E-C "I hope our rivals win because somehow it makes us better" chanting, the Big Ten is the most masturbatory conference in college sports. At least all that South-will-rise-again stuff terminates at the end of football season; Big Ten circle-jerking permeates every aspect of everything.

At least college hockey's immune from the Big Te...

Oh shiii

oEQ0ySg.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29 // College Crosse: Where I write, chat, and infograph lacrosse

F*** football, when's the next womens game in that sport?

Possible POTD?

Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

Columbia Journalism Review: ESPN Obscures Its Own Role in the Conference Realignment Mess

From the editorial:

If you cover college sports for ESPN, you?ve got a real problem right now.

The biggest story these days is the conference realignment that?s bringing tectonic shifts to the NCAA landscape, ending century-old rivalries, and setting longtime partners at each others? throats.

Problem is, ESPN itself is at the heart of why this is happening. Its Longhorn Network deal with the University of Texas kicked off the mess, sending Texas A&M to the SEC because they?re so mad about the deal, which gives Texas $300 million over twenty years, puts a conference game on the network, and wants to show high school games and highlights (ever seen a ticked-off Aggie? It?s not pretty). The idea of a school-only network played a role last year in sending the Nebraska Cornhuskers to the Big Ten. That helped lead Colorado to leave for the Pac-12 and left the Big 12 near death, having lost a quarter of its members, including two premier ones. The instability in the Big 12 and movement toward superconferences surely played a part in the ACC?s recent raiding of the Big East?s Pittsburgh and Syracuse.

Imagine if The Wall Street Journal reported that a hacking scandal had roiled Britain and failed to note News Corp.?s role in it. That?s analogous to what?s happening in this column. ESPN?s network is/was the core issue in the Big 12 turmoil.

Its just disgusting anyway you cut it what's going on right now with college football. The enitre thing is being driven by greed. Just pure greed. Its not enough to be making $30 million a year. We gotta make $35 million a year and if it means we gotta screw over seven other schools to do it, then so be it. Meanwhile the NCAA is just sitting back twiddling their thumbs like they always do. No problem here, just business as usual.

From them to look at this and feel there's not even a chance that schools are acting the least bit out of line means one of two things. One they are greedy, corrupt bastards who act in the best interest of collegiate sports in name only; are entirely self serving, and are nothing more then just yes men put there by the major schools to make sure the status quo is inacted so long as it benefits the big schools and is overturned when it does not. The other is that the NCAA is made up people underqualified to work as ditch diggers. People so dumb that the fact they can drive to work everyday is nothing short of a miracle that can only be explained as greatest amount of proof ever presented that god exists.

One of those two must be true for the NCAA to feel that nothing out of the ordinary is going on, and that no potential for rules violations or downgrading the intregrity of the sport and of college athletics exists.

That's because the Big Ten is the best everything! How dare you make a mockery of it. They have the best academics, the top basketball teams, and REAL football is play there.

Why do you think the Big Ten is the only conference that's stay quiet through all this realignment talk this go around? It's because NONE of the teams available are to the caliber of the Big Ten. They don't have the tradition or the grit Big Ten teams have.

:rolleyes:

That's because the Big Ten is the best everything! How dare you make a mockery of it. They have the best academics, the top basketball teams, and REAL football is play there.

Why do you think the Big Ten is the only conference that's stay quiet through all this realignment talk this go around? It's because NONE of the teams available are to the caliber of the Big Ten. They don't have the tradition or the grit Big Ten teams have.

NO, the real football is played in the Pac-12. Defense? Pfffft. We only need offense to win games! Didn't go to the national championship? East coast media bias, the same bias that caused Oregon to lose both those games. We all know ESPN was actually the one controlling Vince Young when he scored. The people over there just aren't, like, chill man.

From the editorial:

If you cover college sports for ESPN, you've got a real problem right now.

The biggest story these days is the conference realignment that's bringing tectonic shifts to the NCAA landscape, ending century-old rivalries, and setting longtime partners at each others' throats.

Problem is, ESPN itself is at the heart of why this is happening. Its Longhorn Network deal with the University of Texas kicked off the mess, sending Texas A&M to the SEC because they're so mad about the deal, which gives Texas $300 million over twenty years, puts a conference game on the network, and wants to show high school games and highlights (ever seen a ticked-off Aggie? It's not pretty). The idea of a school-only network played a role last year in sending the Nebraska Cornhuskers to the Big Ten. That helped lead Colorado to leave for the Pac-12 and left the Big 12 near death, having lost a quarter of its members, including two premier ones. The instability in the Big 12 and movement toward superconferences surely played a part in the ACC's recent raiding of the Big East's Pittsburgh and Syracuse.

Imagine if The Wall Street Journal reported that a hacking scandal had roiled Britain and failed to note News Corp.'s role in it. That's analogous to what's happening in this column. ESPN's network is/was the core issue in the Big 12 turmoil.

Its just disgusting anyway you cut it what's going on right now with college football. The enitre thing is being driven by greed. Just pure greed. Its not enough to be making $30 million a year. We gotta make $35 million a year and if it means we gotta screw over seven other schools to do it, then so be it. Meanwhile the NCAA is just sitting back twiddling their thumbs like they always do. No problem here, just business as usual.

From them to look at this and feel there's not even a chance that schools are acting the least bit out of line means one of two things. One they are greedy, corrupt bastards who act in the best interest of collegiate sports in name only; are entirely self serving, and are nothing more then just yes men put there by the major schools to make sure the status quo is inacted so long as it benefits the big schools and is overturned when it does not. The other is that the NCAA is made up people underqualified to work as ditch diggers. People so dumb that the fact they can drive to work everyday is nothing short of a miracle that can only be explained as greatest amount of proof ever presented that god exists.

One of those two must be true for the NCAA to feel that nothing out of the ordinary is going on, and that no potential for rules violations or downgrading the intregrity of the sport and of college athletics exists.

Even not reading the story form The Atlantic Monthly, since 1984, SCOTUS made the NCAA a small part of the college football scene. They really cannot do much after that decision and the subsequent changes in NCAA bylaws since '84. Since then, they are not allowed to regulate the TV money teams receive. Then Notre Dame left the CFA for NBC and the SEC went directly to CBS and then Jefferson-Pilot for secondary (tier two) games.

You forgot that they excel in the ways of drinking. Truly the Big Ten is all things to all people.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Arizona gymnastics meets begin on January 6th......

From the editorial:

If you cover college sports for ESPN, you've got a real problem right now.

The biggest story these days is the conference realignment that's bringing tectonic shifts to the NCAA landscape, ending century-old rivalries, and setting longtime partners at each others' throats.

Problem is, ESPN itself is at the heart of why this is happening. Its Longhorn Network deal with the University of Texas kicked off the mess, sending Texas A&M to the SEC because they're so mad about the deal, which gives Texas $300 million over twenty years, puts a conference game on the network, and wants to show high school games and highlights (ever seen a ticked-off Aggie? It's not pretty). The idea of a school-only network played a role last year in sending the Nebraska Cornhuskers to the Big Ten. That helped lead Colorado to leave for the Pac-12 and left the Big 12 near death, having lost a quarter of its members, including two premier ones. The instability in the Big 12 and movement toward superconferences surely played a part in the ACC's recent raiding of the Big East's Pittsburgh and Syracuse.

Imagine if The Wall Street Journal reported that a hacking scandal had roiled Britain and failed to note News Corp.'s role in it. That's analogous to what's happening in this column. ESPN's network is/was the core issue in the Big 12 turmoil.

Even not reading the story form The Atlantic Monthly, since 1984, SCOTUS made the NCAA a small part of the college football scene. They really cannot do much after that decision and the subsequent changes in NCAA bylaws since '84. Since then, they are not allowed to regulate the TV money teams receive. Then Notre Dame left the CFA for NBC and the SEC went directly to CBS and then Jefferson-Pilot for secondary (tier two) games.

I get the whole thing with TV money, but I stand completely by what I said about the NCAA. You cannot tell me they couldn't do something if they wanted to. If they cannot speak up on issues like this, then what is even the point of having the NCAA oversee any aspect of Division 1 college football? If Al Capone were named the President of the NCAA, the system wouldn't be anymore corrupt.

1% of the NCAA's budget goes towards making sure schools abidbe by the rules and regulations set forth by the NCAA, and most of that goes towards making sure schools are in complience with Title IX. You figure out how badly they actually want to shine light on how corrupt the sport has gotten.

To me its just greed at its purest form. How much money can we possibly get out of this, and to hell with the consequences both moral and social.