Procombat PSD Template

dmhtfld

its a good start,

it still feels entirely matte however (especially the helmet)

if i were you id use a couple of overlays to bring out some more of the texture.

it would take 5 minutes to do it properly, here is a quick mock up i made in 2.

yours on the left and with some extra texture, specular and reflection on the right.

more jerseys nowadays are working away from the shiny look and teams are starting to use the matte fabric

so i believe there is nothing wrong with my uniform except for the helmet glare

He is trying to help you, not show you up. The Helmet on his mockup look's much more realistic, because there are not many matte Helmets at all (If any). Plus it's not really about the uniform's material, it's about lighting and reflection. It looks much more realistic with the lighting. Without it you can definately tell it is photoshoped.

i know he is trying to help me but imo i think my uniform looks more realistic that his(other than the helmet).Also if there is a flat fabric being used on a uniform than there shouldn't be much reflection. I agree his helmet looks better than mine but it still doesn't look too realistic. I respect him for trying to help me but in the end i think im going to do what i think is best for my template.

You're sitting there with a straight face and saying your work is better than Davidson's? He's one of the best (if not *the* best) multimedia artists we have here.

That's just plain ballsy.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

its a good start,

it still feels entirely matte however (especially the helmet)

if i were you id use a couple of overlays to bring out some more of the texture.

it would take 5 minutes to do it properly, here is a quick mock up i made in 2.

yours on the left and with some extra texture, specular and reflection on the right.

more jerseys nowadays are working away from the shiny look and teams are starting to use the matte fabric

so i believe there is nothing wrong with my uniform except for the helmet glare

He is trying to help you, not show you up. The Helmet on his mockup look's much more realistic, because there are not many matte Helmets at all (If any). Plus it's not really about the uniform's material, it's about lighting and reflection. It looks much more realistic with the lighting. Without it you can definately tell it is photoshoped.

i know he is trying to help me but imo i think my uniform looks more realistic that his(other than the helmet).Also if there is a flat fabric being used on a uniform than there shouldn't be much reflection. I agree his helmet looks better than mine but it still doesn't look too realistic. I respect him for trying to help me but in the end i think im going to do what i think is best for my template.

You're sitting there with a straight face and saying your work is better than Davidson's? He's one of the best (if not *the* best) multimedia artists we have here.

That's just plain ballsy.

Well if you wanna take it that way then yes i do think my template is better than his. This doesnt mean that all of my work is better than his but i think my template is. Its all opinion dude and just because he may be great at doing other stuff doesnt mean he is great at everything. No offense to him, i have respect for him for trying to help me but i just dont think his tips to make mine better are that great. Im not trying to call him out im just saying that imo i think my template is better. Obviously you guys dont think so, so i might as well not even post the updated version for those who are insulting me. Thanks to all who liked this template and if you want the new template just send me a message.

Well if you wanna take it that way then yes i do think my template is better than his. This doesnt mean that all of my work is better than his but i think my template is. Its all opinion dude and just because he may be great at doing other stuff doesnt mean he is great at everything. No offense to him, i have respect for him for trying to help me but i just dont think his tips to make mine better are that great. Im not trying to call him out im just saying that imo i think my template is better. Obviously you guys dont think so, so i might as well not even post the updated version for those who are insulting me. Thanks to all who liked this template and if you want the new template just send me a message.

Mostly everyone here gives feedback on whatever is posted to help the designer progress forward and create better identities and other stuff. Thats whats going on here, people are trying to help you create a better template so that it can be used more and become an even better template. As for yours being better, I would have to say thats not so. Davidson has created many templates using the same general philosophy and layer settings. I would suggest that you take in what he is saying and integrate it within yours. Like he said, everything that is done can easily be adjusted to the liking of the artist, so if you don't want bright highlights like his, lower the level of the opacity a little.

We are all on the boards because we like sports and logos. Templates like these help everyone create better concepts, so not for your sake, but for all the users on the boards, consider the C&C when you post templates and work. If your ego is so big that you think all your work is perfect, then you are gonna rub some people the wrong way on here.

McCutchen6_zps336cbf93.png

Mostly everyone here gives feedback on whatever is posted to help the designer progress forward and create better identities and other stuff. Thats whats going on here, people are trying to help you create a better template so that it can be used more and become an even better template. As for yours being better, I would have to say thats not so. Davidson has created many templates using the same general philosophy and layer settings. I would suggest that you take in what he is saying and integrate it within yours. Like he said, everything that is done can easily be adjusted to the liking of the artist, so if you don't want bright highlights like his, lower the level of the opacity a little.

We are all on the boards because we like sports and logos. Templates like these help everyone create better concepts, so not for your sake, but for all the users on the boards, consider the C&C when you post templates and work. If your ego is so big that you think all your work is perfect, then you are gonna rub some people the wrong way on here.

Yeah i love getting CnC and it helps me alot, but when he is the only one that posts it and i dont like what he has done this whole thing get blown out of proportion. I know he is very talented but imo i just dont feel like what he has done looks as realistic as mine. Right now im working on modifying my template a little bit so it looks better and i take back what i said earlier in when i said i wont post it. I will post it so hopefully more people can help to make it better.

Davidson is not only one of the best artists on this site but he is so unselfish that he will put in the work to make our lives better when it comes to showing off our work. He is simply the best at doing what you are attempting to do, and not to take his advice seems quite unwise. I do a lot of templates myself. When you do templates and offer them for use by others, it is providing a service, and when you provide a service you want to put your best foot forward. Sometimes it takes me forever to release something because I am taking the advice given to me by others and trying to apply it to the template because they are the ones that are going to be using it. When Davidson gives you advice on how to make your stuff more realistic, that means doing what he says will not only make you a better Photoshop user, but it will make your template more popular and easier to use.

So with that said, sometimes you just gotta shut up and take the advice, or sooner or later no one is going to offer you any.

By the way, your helmet and face mask still looks totally fake. Maybe you should follow the advice already given to you.

It's not that we are ungrateful it's just it's well we don't want to use it. And instead we would normally help you out and make it better and make YOU better. We would love to help you make it better. But instead you act likes it's perfect and could not be better and act like your a god and don't accept advice

If you would like some help, we would help you out if you like to accept it

It's not that we are ungrateful it's just it's well we don't want to use it. And instead we would normally help you out and make it better and make YOU better. We would love to help you make it better. But instead you act likes it's perfect and could not be better and act like your a god and don't accept advice

If you would like some help, we would help you out if you like to accept it

Maybe if more people would post advice and quit using dividsons advice as their own maybe i would change it. I am allowed to have my own opinions. Last time i checked i was in America.

You ripped apart the people that gave you advice?

If you don't like CC don't post stuff. We will use our other templates

One person posted advice and all i said was i didnt like the advice

i dont know how thats ripping the people apart

wwhoa!

bloody hell. look, its a good template, but look at the transition between knee and leg. now im not saying mine is all that great, but if you are going for realism, then i really think you need to highlight the edges of the material. this isnt an issue about 'reflection' this is just an artifact of a normal map and a 'specular' light issue. light will spill off the edges of a material. at the moment your template feels like its just been colourised. now im sure you want this to be as realistic as possible, and i only offer this advice as someone who works (for certain sportswear manufacturers) as a vfx artist and designer, so i do know what im talking about.

but if you dont want the help, then thats fine too. i would just draw your attention to the tcu and seminoles pro combat work and suggests that you have a look at the edges of the material on this uniform. it highlights the point im trying to make well. as i say, this has nothing to do with reflection. it is a specular effect.

http://procombat.nikemedia.com/assets/images/hiRes/TCU_Pro_Combat_UNIFORM_hiRes.jpg

http://friendsoftheprogram.files.wordpress.com/2009/11/fsu_pro_combat_uniform_hires.jpg

You guys are ungreatful. I put a template out there and all you can talk about is how im not as good as davidson. If you guys like davidsons work so much just go use his template. Its not like im forcing you to use mine.

Woah there boss, take a breath. Your template isn't that great, it needs work, and people are trying to help you. It doesn't mean we don't appreciate the effort put forth to make the template, obviously you don't have much of a grasp on the concept of constructive criticism. But the incredibly cocky attitude shown as you presented this template makes me wonder if you even want to improve. We get the impression that you are saying "yep, here's the template, it's amazing, now give me mad props and respect". And dismissing davidson's advice after he took the time to even give you a visual example on what you should be doing is plain rude. So in conclusion, learn how to take advice, and don't be a troll.

wwhoa!

bloody hell. look, its a good template, but look at the transition between knee and leg. now im not saying mine is all that great, but if you are going for realism, then i really think you need to highlight the edges of the material. this isnt an issue about 'reflection' this is just an artifact of a normal map and a 'specular' light issue. light will spill off the edges of a material. at the moment your template feels like its just been colourised. now im sure you want this to be as realistic as possible, and i only offer this advice as someone who works (for certain sportswear manufacturers) as a vfx artist and designer, so i do know what im talking about.

but if you dont want the help, then thats fine too. i would just draw your attention to the tcu and seminoles pro combat work and suggests that you have a look at the edges of the material on this uniform. it highlights the point im trying to make well. as i say, this has nothing to do with reflection. it is a specular effect.

http://procombat.nikemedia.com/assets/images/hiRes/TCU_Pro_Combat_UNIFORM_hiRes.jpg

http://friendsoftheprogram.files.wordpress.com/2009/11/fsu_pro_combat_uniform_hires.jpg

yes but you have to understand that the picture i used didnt have the light pouring in around the edges or have the nice glare that the TCU picture does.

wwhoa!

yes but you have to understand that the picture i used didnt have the light pouring in around the edges or have the nice glare that the TCU picture does.

it did, its just the uniform you used is white, so its harder to distinguish. the darker uniforms illustrate that better.

look at the inner left leg, the right arms skin tight material and the right hip on my update to see where these highlights are added. you can view these highlight areas by fiddling with the levels in ps.

look man, if you dont want to change it, im not fussed, i was just lending my opinion.

wwhoa!

it did, its just the uniform you used is white, so its harder to distinguish. the darker uniforms illustrate that better. look man, if you dont want to change it, im not fussed, i was just lending my opinion.

yes i would love to change it and make it look more realistic but i just feel the technique that you used on the helmet(not the facemask) and jersey didnt look realistic

Correct me if I'm wrong, but in Davidson's thread, you stated that you wanted to know how he got the highlights and lowlights cause it seemed easier than your method, then here he shares his advice and insight and you shun it.

And by tearing apart everyone who is trying to help you by saying to listen to him is giving C&C, it just can't be stated better than how he put it.

Also, not everyone here is from the States, so that whole "this is America" statement won't fly with everyone here.

Davidson, I truly hope that you continue to help the boards and everyone that uses your templates, they are fantastic work and I hope this incident doesn't drive you to reconsider your future releases.

McCutchen6_zps336cbf93.png

Archived