Procombat PSD Template

dmhtfld

Correct me if I'm wrong, but in Davidson's thread, you stated that you wanted to know how he got the highlights and lowlights cause it seemed easier than your method, then here he shares his advice and insight and you shun it.

And by tearing apart everyone who is trying to help you by saying to listen to him is giving C&C, it just can't be stated better than how he put it.

Also, not everyone here is from the States, so that whole "this is America" statement won't fly with everyone here.

Davidson, I truly hope that you continue to help the boards and everyone that uses your templates, they are fantastic work and I hope this incident doesn't drive you to reconsider your future releases.

Yeah i wanted to know how he did it so that i could put my own twist on it but since everyone is telling me that i should be exactly like davidson it kinda changed my mind. Its art everyone and it can be interpreted in many ways. Its just my way that everyone seems to not like.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Correct me if I'm wrong, but in Davidson's thread, you stated that you wanted to know how he got the highlights and lowlights cause it seemed easier than your method, then here he shares his advice and insight and you shun it.

And by tearing apart everyone who is trying to help you by saying to listen to him is giving C&C, it just can't be stated better than how he put it.

Also, not everyone here is from the States, so that whole "this is America" statement won't fly with everyone here.

Davidson, I truly hope that you continue to help the boards and everyone that uses your templates, they are fantastic work and I hope this incident doesn't drive you to reconsider your future releases.

Yeah i wanted to know how he did it so that i could put my own twist on it but since everyone is telling me that i should be exactly like davidson it kinda changed my mind. Its art everyone and it can be interpreted in many ways. Its just my way that everyone seems to not like.

but it isnt art. you re trying to make something realistic arent you? unless this whole thing is some post modern attempt at visual satire? who knows.

people do not dislike your template, they just think it could look slightly more realistic. i really dont see how youve taken this as such an affront? you ve done a good job of taking the image apart, all it needs is a little light and it would feel much more lifelike. thats it.

but it isnt art. you re trying to make something realistic arent you? unless this whole thing is some post modern attempt at visual satire? who knows.

What?!?! I've been sitting here trying to find meaning in it since he said it was interpretive work! I've been wasting my time?

Look dude, you don't necessarily have to put into effect every piece of advice you get (though in this case you should), but at least respect their opinions. There are people who would love to get good C+C like that, and instead you go off on the person giving it to you. Simply having respect for the opinions of others will go a long way in helping you improve. That is, if you think it is possible for yourself to improve, which I am starting to wonder...

MegatronSig2.jpg

I want to improve. I just want to take advice from more than one person so is anyone else willing to offer advice?

My advice.....listen to what Davidson is telling you and lose the attitude towards him and everyone else. A lot of us would kill to get the C&C on our work that he is trying to give you here.

McCutchen6_zps336cbf93.png

I want to improve. I just want to take advice from more than one person so is anyone else willing to offer advice?

My advice.....listen to what Davidson is telling you and lose the attitude towards him and everyone else. A lot of us would kill to get the C&C on our work that he is trying to give you here.

i havent had a attitude towards davidson

you guys are just overreacting because i told the best artist here that i didnt think his advice is all too good. I respect that he is the only one here that has given me real advice on how to make my work better though.

That is because absolutely everybody else who has posted agrees with his advice. Why would we give you different advice, if we think what he told you is the right thing to do?

yes but if i use his advice then my template would look just like his and i want to make this my own

i knew it was a bad idea to release this to you guys

you guys are just overreacting because i told the best artist here that i didnt think his advice is all too good. I respect that he is the only one here that has given me real advice on how to make my work better though.

Last time i checked i was in America.

sorry, ive just read this. had i done this earlier, i wouldnt have responded.

the old 'america hoc ergo proctor hoc' logical fallacy. genius.

ha

^That seems like an attitude to me and I'm sure some others as well. You would think that if enough people echoed the same advice as Davidson that you would get the hint that his advice would advance your template. Your macho "I'm the best, now bow before me" ego isn't helping your cause. Compared to most, you are rather new here, so I would think that you would cherish this advice even more, but to each his own.

McCutchen6_zps336cbf93.png

my advice-its a great start, but i really think it needs some highlights to make it look more realistic, right now there is no light, and it looks totally flat. which is unrealistic. It sounds like you dont know how to do highlights so you are coping with the flat look. And to be honest ive tried to make many templates like this and Ive NEVER been able to get the highlights. i have trouble with that. its hard. but im gonna try to take davidsons advice earlier in here and learn how to do it.

good start, and i downloaded it, and that version looks a lot better texture wise than the lion mock up right here. but its also a little difficult to use. I would download davidsons ORIGINAL template, and see how he layered his because it was super easy to use. just go to the layer select and draw. it was nice

edit:started making a concept with it and was gonna post it but i dont think its quality is enough to post.

things to work on:

belt color? where do you change that?

mask and constants-look ad davidsons to see how he layered it so it blocks off logos and makes it look better

add a better pro combat shield-it has the browns logo on it? just add an empty one

not sure how to do it-but logos look really odd on it. like not realistic.

No one is disrespecting you. Everyone is just saying that Davidson's advice is the best for your template, if you would apply his advice to your template, then people would want to use it. If you used the reflection and lighting effects then it would look realistic and people will want to use it. So what, if it looks alot like his after you put the lighting on it, that's what will make it better. People aren't saying yours is bad and if you don't change it too Davidson's then it's crap. No one is saying that, they are just agreeing with his advice and that it will be the best for the template. You acted like you were a god for making it, because you went around posting on other people's concepts with the template. Then you said "Well here it is" like we have all been waiting for you to post the template so that we will kiss your feet and bow down to you, and when people tried to help you improve it, you said no, that you think it look's good the way it is, sometimes you just have to listen to C&C and use it whether you like it or not, if you would have just made some lighting effects on it then people would like it alot more. Just dont post it expecting people to throw you a parade when it's not even the best it can be.

Check out my new NFL 2016 Series!

Ok i admit i was a little over confident but i just felt like if davidson would have posted the exact same thing everybody would praise him just because he is the best on here and no one questions him. But when i came along an said that i didnt believe what he did was the best for what i am doing everyone flipped out. I will be posting an updated and easier to use template in the next hour.

Not to sound like a broken record, but look at this photo. It is full of dark, dramatic, artificial lighting effects. That's Nike's artistic brand pitch with Pro Combat (see the Adrian Peterson commercial). The deep, rich tones and the high contrast between light and dark are reminiscent of classic B&W photography. When you learn the darkroom philosophy, one of the first things you learn is that your darkest shadow should be 100% black in value and your brightest highlight should be 0% black in value. Everything else should fall in between to avoid lost detail in the shadows and to avoid burned out highlights.

The shadows on your uniform are dark grey (not dark enough) and your highlights are light grey (not light enough). It doesn't work like you think it does to make your jersey and pant fabric look more 'matte'. Rather, it simply makes them look flat, unrealistic and totally out of character given the overall artistic tone of the photograph. Bringing out those shadows and highlights does not make the fabric look shiny. It looks just as matte as ever, but it fits with the style of the photograph much better and makes the uniform look believable and realistic. The highlights are absolutely essential on the helmet and facemask, and they should be more stark, as these items generally are actually shiny.

I'm not agreeing with Davidson's advice because of Davidson's reputation, pedigree, talent level and overall likability. In fact, I probably disagree with Davidson more often than I agree with him. :P But if everyone else agrees with him in this case, don't you think he might know what he's doing? Just a little? Don't you think he might be right, just this once?

PS. Put a tiny drop shadow behind those numbers and maybe a little stitching along the edges to make them look like raised twill instead of printed or sublimated graphics.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Look, people are quick to point out issues with templates or logos or anything that is posted on these boards. When you put something out there, you are subject to whatever criticism comes your way. How you take it and apply the advice given to you is going to determine what goes on from there. Yes, when it comes to what you are trying to do, Davidson is the best. But that does not mean his work is completely flawless and people won't give him areas to improve his own template. The difference is that when an issue is pointed out on other works (including Davidson's) he goes back in there and corrects the issue. Sometimes you may overlook an issue that you didn't even see until someone pointed it out to you.

When I am given advice on how to improve something, I don't always use everything given to me. But if guys like Logoman, Bucco, Davidson, or CDixonDesign are showing enough interest in my work to actually help me improve it, I'm gonna listen. You have full access to see what credentials these guys have that is giving you advice. You are going to hear a lot from people that are not capable of making the templates themselves. But these are the guys that are going to be using them, so it would be wise to find out what would make their lives easier when it comes to using the thing. Those guys are just as important as the elliott's and Nole42's of the board.

Just learn to listen and try to get better. You are not gonna have the greatest template anyone has ever seen right out of the gate, so don't pretend to. Results are what matters here, not attitude. Hope this helps because you have potential but you have a cocky attitude and it won't help here.

Last time i checked i was in America.

sorry, ive just read this. had i done this earlier, i wouldnt have responded.

the old 'america hoc ergo proctor hoc' logical fallacy. genius.

ha

^That seems like an attitude to me and I'm sure some others as well. You would think that if enough people echoed the same advice as Davidson that you would get the hint that his advice would advance your template. Your macho "I'm the best, now bow before me" ego isn't helping your cause. Compared to most, you are rather new here, so I would think that you would cherish this advice even more, but to each his own.

I think me and him both took each statement wrong. I would like to appoligize to him for saying "ha". I didnt understand what his comment meant and i thought he was just joking so i said "ha". But i think he took my statement wrong. When i said "last time i checked i was in america" i wasnt trying to offend him i was just saying that america is a free country and i have the rights to my own opinion. I think both of our comments got taken out of context.

Archived