Sign in to follow this  
tomás

Anyone know the story behind this?

nba_g_mcgee11_800.jpg

:blink:

Yes. The "nut-huggers" were an unfortunate part of the NBA's history. They are quite embarassing, and you will find few people still willing to talk about them...

nba_g_mcgee11_800.jpg

Combination of fabric, lighting, and photography.

Man...that still seems kind hard to accept. Could there be more to it; specifically, different fabrics used in different years leading to radically different shades of purple/blue? And in a game like this some mixup leading to mismatched fabrics?

nba_g_mcgee11_800.jpg

Man...that still seems kind hard to accept. Could there be more to it; specifically, different fabrics used in different years leading to radically different shades of purple/blue? And in a game like this some mixup leading to mismatched fabrics?

The light from the flash reflects differently off the two materials. If you look closely you'll see the same thing in the green on The Celtics uniform. Check the numbers up against the trim on the shorts.

nba_g_mcgee11_800.jpg

The light from the flash reflects differently off the two materials. If you look closely you'll see the same thing in the green on The Celtics uniform. Check the numbers up against the trim on the shorts.

That's a good point, I'm probably discounting just how dramatic the effects of the flash are. Although...the trim on the Celtics jersey matches the shorts pretty well, it's jutst the back number that has the glare and is brighter. It's still awfully tempting to think there were different batches of Laker jerseys that got mismatched, or mislaundered, or something...anyway, I guess that's why we have to chalk it up to a combination of lighting/fabric/photography.

Those Lakers numbers are clunky and gross. Right up there with the Miami Heat 1988-1999 numbers for worst in NBA history.

I'm guessing they orderer new uniforms and possibly changed the shade of purple, but the shorts didn't come in on time and they had to use the old ones for a while. I don't think they would have used two different kinds of fabric for the shorts and jerseys. They've always been the same material on every team I've been on.

Also, I believe those Kansas State uniforms are like that intentionally. I believe they did that last year or the year before last, in reference to the teams in the 70's or 80's that used different shades of purple on the jerseys and shorts intentionally.