"Doc" Halladay takes out full page ad in Toronto newspaper thanking fans

friarcanuck

As a Jays fan, I know he got traded and didn't decided to sign somewhere else, I was ready to give Roy a standing-o when he came back to Toronto and boo him after for being "the enemy". He's a great player and has been a force for the Blue Jays, but I boo the visiting players (unless you're former Expo). I will never be able to boo Roy Halladay ever after reading this:

http://www.torontosu...235981-sun.html

Friar%20Canuck.jpgfriarcanuck.png

Wasn't he the one that wanted to be traded? I don't know if he outright asked for it, but if he didn't want to be traded, it wouldn't have happened, so let's not make this guy out to be a hero.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Wasn't he the one that wanted to be traded? I don't know if he outright asked for it, but if he didn't want to be traded, it wouldn't have happened, so let's not make this guy out to be a hero.

Sorry. You're right. The people who have lived and supported the Blue Jays over the past decade has no reason to support Doc Halladay, since he wanted to leave after player her for the past 11 years. He never did say he wanted a trade...he only said that after his contract was up he wanted to sign for a team that had a reasonable chance at winning a World Series. He even said that if he wasn't dealt before Spring Training, he'd use his no-trade clause to refuse any trade out of Toronto.

Doc Halladay is the definition of class in a sporting context. I can't think of one player I'd want more on my team than him. I'm thankful to have been able to see him play over the past decade, and I hope he's able to get his World Series ring. Go Phillies!

1zqy8ok.gif

I don't see how he's a phony, or how this is anything less than genuine. Sure, he wanted to leave, but not because he disliked the team, the organization, the city, or the fans, he just didn't think that he could accomplish his goals there considering the direction the club was heading.

When Curt Shilling left Philadelphia, I felt the exact same way. He blasted ownership and the GM, claiming that they were never going to spend the money to win, etc. But he never said anything but great things about the city and the fans, and even though he left "us", I still rooted for him everywhere he went.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Kerry Wood did something like this last year after he left for the Indians. It was very classy, I think

sigpurp.png

---Owner of the NHA's Philadelphia Quakers, the UBA's Chicago Skyliners, and the CFA's Portland Beavers (2010 CFA2 Champions)---

lol. I was considering making a sarcastic post about how Halladay's really just a jerk and players don't care about fans, etc. Turns out I don't even need to bother. This board never disappoints.

What exactly could Mr. Halladay have done that would have been any more classy or genuine than he did? Sounds like quite the guy to me.

Sorry. You're right. The people who have lived and supported the Blue Jays over the past decade has no reason to support Doc Halladay, since he wanted to leave after player her for the past 11 years. He never did say he wanted a trade...he only said that after his contract was up he wanted to sign for a team that had a reasonable chance at winning a World Series. He even said that if he wasn't dealt before Spring Training, he'd use his no-trade clause to refuse any trade out of Toronto.

Doc Halladay is the definition of class in a sporting context. I can't think of one player I'd want more on my team than him. I'm thankful to have been able to see him play over the past decade, and I hope he's able to get his World Series ring. Go Phillies!

We are all Phillies.....

I saw, I came, I left.

We are all Phillies.....

Except for Cliff Lee.

BB52Big.jpg

Pat Burrell did it also after the Phillies signed Ibanez, ending his (mostly crappy) tenure in Philadelphia.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Kerry Wood did something like this last year after he left for the Indians. It was very classy, I think

Scott Kazmir and Aki Iwamura did the same this this past season after being traded to the Angels and Pirates respectively.

I have a bad gut feeling that I'll be seeing one for Carl Crawford in '10.

I had always heard he was a classy guy, and it's true that after 12 seasons and no sign of things changing in Toronto, he deserves to get a shot at a ring. But that doesn't mean I want him to face the Braves! Maybe we will just skip him every time Atlanta plays Philly :)

He didn't really demand to be traded. Last season, it was the Blue Jays who decided to look at trading him. He has full veto power, but said he would waive it for the right team. The Blue Jays never got what they wanted, and so he stayed. Then talk began again this offseason. Oh, I forgot, he did say he would test free agency after next season, which isn't necessarily saying he's leaving, but is a good indicator. Still, there was the chance he might decide to stay, no matter how small. Back to the present. He then said IF they were gonna trade him, he'd like to have it done before Spring Training, otherwise, he wouldn't waive the clause and would stay with the Blue Jays until the deadline or end of the season, cuz he was tired of all the talk that just kept coming up.

So, yes, he is a very class act for taking out the ad and Jays fans can cheer for him, guilt-free, too, because he never did demand to leave.

Archived