My Proposal for the 2011 NHL Winter Classic

ColeJ

Looks good Cole, I like it. One thing bugs me though, the Wild throwbacks. I just don't see the need for Minnesota to create a fauxback when they already have two serving as their home and alternate sweaters. They could wear either of those and still look Winter Classic-like.

I agree with everything except the uniform. I think they would want to use the alternate they have right now or something that pays homage to some sort of classic sweater used by a team in Minnesota, rather than a variation of the barber pole sweater.

The NHL uses the WC as a venue to market new jerseys. They would ever allow a team to wear something that already exists, even if it meant that they had to invent a new faux throwback for the team.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My proposal, more than 500 miles from my doorstep and not involving my favourite team the Calgary Flames:

Colorado vs Phoenix at CanadInns Stadium (or the new one if/when it is built) in Winnipeg, Manitoba, with Nordiques and Jets jerseys. Maybe sub out Colorado with Carolina in Whaler uniforms if the plan is to have every team play in a WC so there can be a game in Denver.

Looks good Cole, I like it. One thing bugs me though, the Wild throwbacks. I just don't see the need for Minnesota to create a fauxback when they already have two serving as their home and alternate sweaters. They could wear either of those and still look Winter Classic-like.

I agree with everything except the uniform. I think they would want to use the alternate they have right now or something that pays homage to some sort of classic sweater used by a team in Minnesota, rather than a variation of the barber pole sweater.

The NHL uses the WC as a venue to market new jerseys. They would ever allow a team to wear something that already exists, even if it meant that they had to invent a new faux throwback for the team.

exactly...

and makarenkov,

did you read the blog post, or did you just scroll by looking at the pretty pictures? :P

i didn't just choose a random barberpole. i payed homage to the 1930's st. paul saints, who wore wild-colored barberpoles, and played in the twin cities.

looking when the MLB all-star game is (july 13th 2010), we should find out on july 14th 2010 where the winter classic is (should find out before the 14th but on the 14th is when they will announce the place and teams). my hope is:

Caps vs Rangers at new yankee stadium or Caps vs Wild at Target Field or TCF Bank Stadium (would get more people at TCF)

so long and thanks for all the fish.

I said "pays homage to," not copies. I know what marketing is.

The point of a Winter Classic is to be retro, and you can't be retro with a fake sweater

sig2_by_sergeiofrussia.png

The point of a Winter Classic is to be retro, and you can't be retro with a fake sweater

tell that to the bruins, who created their own faux-backs for next week.

I get that, but it just feels, well, redundant. I'm not against fauxbacks per say, I just think ANOTHER one in the Wild's case might be overkill.

EDIT-

That being said, it does look great. Good job Cole.

Even though the NHL won't go for it in reality, I'd really love to watch it on TV.

I'd also like to see these as Winter Classics:

Kings vs. Ducks at Angel Stadium

Devils vs. Rangers at Yankee Stadium

Flyers vs. Penguins at Heinz Field

Flyers vs. Devils at the new Giants Stadium

Blackhawks vs. Blues at Busch Stadium

Canucks vs. Avalanche at Invesco Field

Blues vs. Predators at LP Field

Flyers vs. Capitals at RFK Stadium

I second that Flyers/Devils classic...

Also, great work on that Minnesota striped jersey (I'd buy one).

applogosig17.pngapplogosig16bychapeeko.png

Courtesy chapeeko

tell that to the bruins, who created their own faux-backs for next week.

Hmm, I wasn't aware of that. Well, it's better than brown and fans have been itching for a yellow sweater for a while so I guess it works in this case

sig2_by_sergeiofrussia.png

Hey, great work and congratulations for making to icethetics.info! I loved you're idea the most.

Well planned and organized, and the jerseys are good, the Wild throwback jersey looks damn good and never thought that team what comes from a sunny part of USA could be in the Winter classic =).

Here's what I'd like to see ...

Wild/Stars @ Target Field

Penguins/Flyers @ Beaver Stadium

Devils/Rangers @ Meadowlands Stadium

Capitals/Penguins @ FedExField or RFK Stadium

Lightning/Panthers @ Raymond James Stadium or LandShark Stadium

Blue Jackets/Red Wings @ Ohio Stadium

Avalanche/Red Wings @ Mile High Stadium

rbze43.jpg

23vhpba.jpg11r3n9f.jpg

I usually don't comment on the Winter Classics proposals in WC concept threads, BBTV's right, that's not what the thread should be about. I can't help myself though.

Tampa Bay/Florida? No way that's happening. I can see one or the other getting a spot in it at some point, but on the road, against a team in a cold weather market. The NHL, in spite of themselves I'm sure, have stumbled onto something that actually seems to be a universally accepted success (the NHL and NBC can go ahead and acknowledge and thank Montreal and Edmonton at any time).

Sticking the Winter Classic in Florida would be messing with a good thing, and at the moment the NHL can't afford to mess with one of the few good things it has going for it.

(Sorry for the double-post) Its no big deal, 2009 Blackhawks jersey was assembled from the previous jerseys and people bought it that it was retro like Bruins are doing this year.

Lightning/Panthers @ Raymond James Stadium or LandShark Stadium

Like that would happen in Florida.

No kidding eh?

Seems like someone forgot that hockey is played on ice....you can't keep the ice frozen (let alone make it freeze) outdoors in Florida.

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

(Sorry for the double-post) Its no big deal, 2009 Blackhawks jersey was assembled from the previous jerseys and people bought it that it was retro like Bruins are doing this year.

I wouldn't say it's the same thing. For the most part the Blackhawks were going for their 1935-37 look. The things they changed were changed out of necessity. The logo was changed because there's no way a Native themed team like the Blackhawks that has so far steered clear of controversy is going to test fate by releasing jerseys with a red Indian head logo. The pants were changed because light coloured hockey pants are just impractical, and the socks were changed because, well, the original ones were just goofy looking. For the most part, however, the 'Hawks throwbacks draw on one source, only deviating from it when necessary.

The Bruins, on the other hand, did indeed slap a bunch of stuff from various past looks together to get their fauxbacks. Not to say it doesn't look nice, it does. It just seems pointless for a team with as much history as the Boston Bruins to go with a fauxback, when they have so many actual throwback designs to choose from.

Plus, it's a shame that the yellow Bruins sweater we've been waiting for is wasted on this, when a straight colour swapped version of the primary home and road template would look so much better.

• 2 months later...

if true, the winter classic will be in dc. here is what i think:

i think if the 2011 winter classic is in dc, the logo will be the washington monument and the capitol building (the dome i think) and something from nationals park.

i think the caps will play the devils (with the caps wearing the 1974/75 home jerseys and the devils wearing the jerseys there first away jersey when they move to new jersey).

so long and thanks for all the fish.

Archived