Rebranding the MLB....

elliott

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think you should go back to the drawing boards with this one. I'm not taking shots at you, but it looks like you threw this together for the sake of throwing it together. Compared to the Nats concept, this one has no meaning. I like the idea of adding the lion, but you've gotta execute that better you know what I mean?

Also, that font is a no-go. I'd HIGHLY prefer the brilliant cursive script they have now, maybe you can upgrade that into something that fits the style you use in this concept.

I like the idea of the shield and bats logo, but the 'R' for 'Royals' is kind of redundant. I mean, you have royal blue in there and a crown. That, to me, already gets the point across.

I know you can definately do better, just put some more thought into it.

For the most part, I like this set. The Lion logo does need a little bit of work, but I love the secondary logo. That interlocking KC logo looks good, but just not for a team named the Royals. Same goes for the script. When I think of something royal, I think of fancy cursive fonts, not simple rounded block fonts. Also, the numbers clash with the current font. The numbers work well, though, I would consider changing the font as I mentioned earlier. Also, I think there should be a NOB. Besides the Yankees and Red Sox, jerseys just look weird without NOBs.

Twins.pngGoldenGophers.png

You know, there are a lot of elements about this set that I really like, but I feel like it just isn't coming together as a cohesive identity. First, the good: I really like the color choices, and I love both the KC and the R/plate logos. They look very nice (though you may want to fix that section of blue between the back of the K and the C that's a bit wider than all the other blue sections). I also really like the cleanness of the uniforms, the KC on the road jersey, and the style of the alternate (love the cap!).

There are two main issues that bother me with this set. The first is the primary logo. It looks sort of anthropomorphic, like it's a human in lion makeup a la the Cowardly Lion. I think most of this is coming from the eyes (which look very human), the nose (which looks more bulbous than triangular like a lion's), and the lack of whiskers. The other problem I have with the set is that you're apparently using three typefaces. You have the thick angular look from the KC logo, the thinner rounded look from the "Royals" wordmark, and then the serif numbers. I think you'd be better off unifying everything with a single face, or at least faces that are more similar in style.

Very nice start, but if you refine the lion logo and work on the type, this could be killer.

HURRICANES | PANTHERS | WHITE SOX | WOLFPACK

You know, there are a lot of elements about this set that I really like, but I feel like it just isn't coming together as a cohesive identity. First, the good: I really like the color choices, and I love both the KC and the R/plate logos. They look very nice (though you may want to fix that section of blue between the back of the K and the C that's a bit wider than all the other blue sections). I also really like the cleanness of the uniforms, the KC on the road jersey, and the style of the alternate (love the cap!).

There are two main issues that bother me with this set. The first is the primary logo. It looks sort of anthropomorphic, like it's a human in lion makeup a la the Cowardly Lion. I think most of this is coming from the eyes (which look very human), the nose (which looks more bulbous than triangular like a lion's), and the lack of whiskers. The other problem I have with the set is that you're apparently using three typefaces. You have the thick angular look from the KC logo, the thinner rounded look from the "Royals" wordmark, and then the serif numbers. I think you'd be better off unifying everything with a single face, or at least faces that are more similar in style.

Very nice start, but if you refine the lion logo and work on the type, this could be killer.

Very good point on the typefaces. I'm not necessarily against having the cap logo and front script not having the same exact font, mlb teams do it. But you are definitely right about the number font, I'm going to work up something that unifies the set, thickening up the "Royals" mark might also help.

An update to the Lion logo is also on its way.

Thanks for the comments, everyone.

Well now that like 6 of my ancient concepts have been bumped :rolleyes: I figured I might as well post an update.

royals2010_21.gif

Here we have a new lion. The old one is rather goofy looking, so I tried to make it more feline. I don't know if I succeeded.

The numbers on the uniforms are also updated in an attempt to match the script.

Home / Away

Alt / BP

The next concept should be up soon.

It's so close IMO. The R logo is top notch, I'd emphasize the crown a bit more just because I love it that much. The lion's face is dragging it down though. I don't like this update at all. It's his eyes, mouth, and the forks that are supposed to be...whiskers? on his cheek. I'm not really sure how to change them, I'd say just start from scratch, and look at how other regal lions are portrayed.

spacer.png

erikas | go birds | dribbble 

It's almost there. The new lion is certainly an improvement, much more leonine. The nose is MUCH better and I like the effort to get some whiskers in there. A few areas I think need tweaking: I'd keep the blue areas from the whiskers from descending all the way down the face like that. It makes him look like he's got a fu manchu mustache. Also, I'd lose the strokes under the eyes (makes him look haggard and tired) and fix the pupils so he's looking down instead of up at the heavens.

This is very close.

With the lion, I think the perspective is what's causing the problem. Both of the logos make the lion look like he's a jolly fellow saying 'hey' to those of us looking at him. As dgnmrwrw said, he now looks like he's got a fu manchu. Nothing about how the lion looks right now other than the crown really makes him 'royal.' With the first idea you had, the lion looked like it was roaring. This one looks like he's bored. Try blowing this lion up completely and go with a closed-mouth lion. Maybe look at it from below a little to give the lion a more regal appearance?

I like the R and bats logo. However I don't like how the point on the blue stroke on the R makes the bottom left of the logo look like a broken bat. I also realize that's hard to help because that's just how the stroke is.

One more gripe: I don't like the way the gold outline is shifted a little and thicker in some places than others to try and give a '3D' effect to the logos and numbers. It'd be OK if the stroke between the gold and the logo wasn't white. So I guess that's more of a presentation thing than an actual problem. On white, it just looks like one of those bad print jobs where one color was printed in the correct place and then the next color which was obviously supposed to be an outline was printed so that it was off just enough to be annoying to the eye. Does that make sense? If the background were grey and the white stroke were kept white, it would A-OK.

Things I like: the design of the uniform. It's very clean and simple and appealing. The word/lettermarks are a bit too chunky for my taste, but that's simply because I prefer old-school script-style stuff on baseball uniforms.

Don't chuck the Royals-with-a-crown-over-it idea! That looks great as a non-uniform wordmark!

i think the Lion logo is mint. I think if its the Royals, the font needs to be a bit more fancy and not so squared off. On the R logo, you have the crown off to the side... i think it would look cool if you made the crown on the lion off to the side too.

as for the KC logo... again, it feels to boxy and square. i think it should be more wavy and fancy.

i think you got a nice concept going so far... keep it coming.

_CLEVELANDTHATILOVEIndians.jpg

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

royalsoptions.gif

A few lion options, two versions of the whisker region, and then I took away the outline on the bottom two, just for comparisons sake to see if it might look better. You'll also notice an update to the eye region.

I personally love the Lion face logo, especially with the gold trim around it! I don?t think all animal logos need to come a crossed like a beast that?s ready to tear someone?s head off!

Utah_Jazz_2010-11_Identity_Signa-2.jpg

I'm not really feeling this one, Elliot. I think you've got a heck of a start, but I keep seeing a laughing puppy, rather than a lion.

- The overall shape could be more defined. The sets on the right are on the right path.

- Perhaps close the mouth, to give more of a regal look, than a menacing one.

- The eye could be less like that of a human

- I'd either lose the gold trim, or simplify it, so it's an outline, rather than filling in the space within the mane.

For reference:

lionsmall.jpg

I agree with others that the lion is still in need of work. I'm not a fan of the versions with dots, because without the whiskers to accompany them, they look like freckles to me which adds to the whole "too human"/"too cutesy" problem. I think you need whiskers, they just need to be implemented better than they currently are in the "fu manchu" logo. I think you've improved the eyes, but they still look a bit too humanoid and I still think it's awkward to have him looking upward. Also, I just noticed that there are no ears. I think if you included some lion ears in front of the mane, that would help.

yeah i can see the "laughing puppy" idea. Maybe just have the mouth closed toward the center, and then widening towards the side, like he is growling. maybe just show 2 teeth per side of mouth. Might give it a more intense look.

_CLEVELANDTHATILOVEIndians.jpg

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

Archived