Jacksonville Hammerheads

jaha32

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe I'm missing something because everyone else seems to love it, but I'm just not seeing it. To me this isn't even in the same echelon as your other work, Looks like a doodle compared to your Conquistadors and Bees logos.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

The top left is the one. I am a little dissapointed, though, that the orange 'sun' affect you intended on having in the circle is eliminated now that you've messed with the shark ans 'Jacksonville' font. I think it was a great touch.

Is it because less of the inner orange circle is visible? Is that what you mean? I think as I thickened the blue outline on the shark and then the ball was taken out, then put back in, the orange got covered a bit more.

And Andrew, I honestly thought this was a little better than the original sketch/doodle I drew before eyeballing it into Illustrator that is sitting in a crumpled up paper ball next to my trash can, but maybe it's not. Just kidding..sort of. ;) But I guess if it means you dont hate the Bees or Conquistadors logos, I'll take that much.

I was thinking of a secondary logo using the letters "JAX" and some shark fin somewhere next or at least once the primary is finished.

Actually no. It's because the outlines are thicked and the shark now looks 'alive', and the shark fits so well into the circle it looks more complete. (maybe thin the outline of the circle more?)

Anyways, I always thought it'd be cool for a basketball concept where a ball has a shark fin. Just an idea.

Maybe I'm missing something because everyone else seems to love it, but I'm just not seeing it. To me this isn't even in the same echelon as your other work, Looks like a doodle compared to your Conquistadors and Bees logos.

The Conquistadors and Bees were more polished, that true. But this is still quite good. There's a weird spot where the dorsal fin meets the circle. I think there should be more overlap there. I also prefer it with the ball, especially because the fins look better in that version. It certainly is coming along.

I just posted that Claws logo, but wasnt feeling inspired by it so I finished up this logo instead. I always wanted to do a shark logo. There are plenty of already existing shark logos out there and this one isnt too different from some of them in certain ways, but I wasnt sure which one is better, the one with the orange circle (maybe acting as the sun) or the gray? Also, once this primary is good to go I will do a court most likely and maybe a secondary. Which color backdrop do you prefer?

hammerheads.gif

looks very much like this logo:

32ab166031fe5c94856da9104056dd60.300.jpg

Davison, I agree that it definitely looks like that logo since the shark and the wordmark and even outer circle with the city is basically the same idea as that. That's why when I originally posted it I even mentioned how it's not that much different than other shark logos out there, except I would say that Corpus Christi logo is better.

Anyways, I wasnt feeling really liking how it turned out, and others pointed out how it could still use some work, so I was just about to post a new direction Im headed with it before I saw Davison's post. Here is just the hammerhead alone. I want to figure out a way to get other elements in there, although this might work as a football logo or hockey as it is now, but Im going to see what else I can come up with. I changed the colors too since I felt the last set of colors were making it more cartoony for some reason, although I am open to other color options if anyone thinks another is better. I changed the fins and other things hoping to make it better. One version has blur streaks ,which Im not sure if it is better with or without. If they are good with it I will maybe work on the streaks some more. I think this is getting better. Is it?

hammerheads-4.gif

Davison, I agree that it definitely looks like that logo since the shark and the wordmark and even outer circle with the city is basically the same idea as that. That's why when I originally posted it I even mentioned how it's not that much different than other shark logos out there, except I would say that Corpus Christi logo is better.

Anyways, I wasnt feeling really liking how it turned out, and others pointed out how it could still use some work, so I was just about to post a new direction Im headed with it before I saw Davison's post. Here is just the hammerhead alone. I want to figure out a way to get other elements in there, although this might work as a football logo or hockey as it is now, but Im going to see what else I can come up with. I changed the colors too since I felt the last set of colors were making it more cartoony for some reason, although I am open to other color options if anyone thinks another is better. I changed the fins and other things hoping to make it better. One version has blur streaks ,which Im not sure if it is better with or without. If they are good with it I will maybe work on the streaks some more. I think this is getting better. Is it?

hammerheads-4.gif

I thought this when I saw the first version and even seeing it now after a series of changes I still think it needs work in the eye area.

You've spent what appears to be a great deal of time and effort refining various other areas of the logo but each and every time the eye remains the same indistinct shape, with no real detail. As a result the eye conveys no real emotion and as a result I feel the whole piece feels a little flat and lacks life. I think the simple addition of "whites", or a pupil to the eye could solve this in one fell swoop, it would give the shark more aim and direction as we'd be able to tell where he's looking more easily and it would allow you to convey more emotion in it's face. I know factually sharks don't have whites to their eyes, but this is a mascot based logo and sometimes certain artistic licenses need to be taken in order to get the most out a subject matter and I think this is one of those times.

9erssteve

9ersstevesig.png

I wanted to get this back to the first page because I think this logo is fantastic. The new reddish shark works really well. I like it because it's so unexpected. I like the logo with and without the streaks equally. The streaks give a nice sense of motion even though the shark isn't necessarily moving in that direction. Andrew said this isn't up to par with your other work, I disagree. Your other stuff is great but there's a sleek simplicity to this logo. It's a well thought out collection of big, interesting shapes. Very professional. The revised fins are a lot better than the previous ones.

Thanks for keeping us inspired.

bobschultz6

' class="bbc_url">@

bobschultz6

These new updates look alot more sleeker and interesting than the others. The shark flows more naturally, I think, from head to tail. I see that you added thicker outlines, and now it looks alot more lively and alert. The blur streaks are okay but they're not necessary. I am a little bummed though that you changed the colors! They looked perfect before, You shouldn't have changed them.

Anyways, excellent work once again

I made some changes again and have a few different color combos here. I cant seem to decide on colors if you havent noticed. I added the eyeball, so thanks 9ersstever for that. Also I changed the tail and back portion of the body to give it more motion, at least I think it has more motion now. Any preferences on colors?

hammerheads-5.gif

i REALLY liked the updated ones with the red shark and black and grey..... this latest update...not so much... with the tail color not connected to the shark, it looks like a crab claw more than a tail.

and not a fan of the "eyeball" look

personally, id go back to that red shark and work from there with the ball/wordmark

to me, that red shark one is perfect...i know some people don't like the "eyeball-less" look, but i like it...makes the character look look more menacing and less "cartoon"

still not a fan of the font for hammerheads

footer_helmet.gif

Got rid of the eyeball. I decided to go with the red shark although some seemed to like the blue one also. It was growing on me over the blue and 1stDown and Undead reinorced it with their feedback. Some changes on the ball highlights/lowlights as well. And again, another color option with that bronze-like color (I dont even know what you'd call it). Im not trying to be so indecisive on colors but with each update on the shapes I figure it cant hurt to throw another color option out there. I didnt change the font although 1stDown isn't a fan of it simply because I dont know specifically what direction to go with it (I dont always have an eye for these things) and some seemed to be ok with it. And again, does anyone like the newest color option (there needs to be a third color other than just red and black because the ball doesnt look good as red or gray) or stick with the blue/black/red?

Thanks for all your guys' help so far too.

hammerheads-6.gif

Archived