Blue-Jay Logo.

Spammy

Hey all. In my last topic, some one told me to research and draw from that, so I did, I also heard to try putting it at an angle. so I started working on somthing, and now I need some help. Here it is. C+c Please. And please, before you say " it needs eyes!!@11" remember this is a work in progress and i havent came around to it yet.

path3363-1.png

It needs eyes!!!11!! Kidding, although I think you should still expand on your other idea and next time maybe post in the same thread so we can see the progression, this is MILES better than your eagle logo already. The shape looks pretty good, the thicker black outline to the right ends up giving it some character, and the way it is positioned, tilted upward, is a cool perspective. There seems to be too much empty blue space though, it will look better once you add the eye, but also put some white and black detail around the eye to fill up the space. Take the next step though, this is a good start and hopefully you nail the eye.

You've got a pretty good start here, Spamuel. I like the angle you're working with...it gives kind of a "regal" posture. I think once you've got some detail and clean up some areas, you've got something going here.

A few nitpicks:

- Round off the top of the white part under the beak to flow with the outline.

- Some of the corners on the outline are flattened out, rather than coming to a point.

- Smooth the right side of the blue to flow more naturally, rather than coming to a point as it does now.

Like I said, you've got a good start. The only way to really tell how it's going to work is to see it with some detail, but right now, i think the angle will work.

The way you have the colors is not really representative of the plumage of a Blue Jay.

1463888277_e3f4ac1356.jpg

Most of the face/neck is white or gray. You should expand the white area under the beak to most of the head except the crest and the back of the head. There should be more black, too, as a border to the white.

The shape of the head is pretty accurate, however.

Spammy, you should really try to get something done before you post. All of your concepts so far have started as basic outlines and things like that. You should really come up with a complete logo before posting. As of now it's like we're holding your hand through your whole concept. Try some logos for practice, and master the skills needed to create a full logo on your own, then ask for C&C just to make final adjustments.

30vja50.png

GIANTS_REDSOX_CELTICS_LIGHTNING_BULLS

Spammy, you should really try to get something done before you post. All of your concepts so far have started as basic outlines and things like that. You should really come up with a complete logo before posting. As of now it's like we're holding your hand through your whole concept. Try some logos for practice, and master the skills needed to create a full logo on your own, then ask for C&C just to make final adjustments.

I actually don't see anything wrong with doing this. I don't think anybody's "holding his hand", he obviously wanted some critiques about the shape and angle of the logo and I don't see anything wrong with that. It's great that Spammy is showing that he uses people's help to make his designs better. If he rushes with a logo, only to post it here and have people tell him its a bad shape, then why waste that time? I'd rather get help from the start than have to redo it all over again.

14622089383_66ed2643e0_o.jpg14415375480_b33010b5ce_o.jpg14602016315_3e9fe74148_o.jpg

I actually don't see anything wrong with doing this. I don't think anybody's "holding his hand", he obviously wanted some critiques about the shape and angle of the logo and I don't see anything wrong with that. It's great that Spammy is showing that he uses people's help to make his designs better. If he rushes with a logo, only to post it here and have people tell him its a bad shape, then why waste that time? I'd rather get help from the start than have to redo it all over again.

I agree with you CAB. He's obviously trying to get help as he goes along. It's not worth making a logo only to be criticized about something that happened along the way.

Let's take a step back here. You've already made a mistake. The light source you have right now is coming from above the hairs on his head I believe. Now, If you have highlights on the beak and chest, you've gotta have highlights on the head. Right now, you have random white space in the middle of his head. I know you're trying to imitate the blue jay but there's ways you could do that while still following the pattern of the highlights.

As of now, I'd get rid of the eye and white area and try adding highlights, shading or whatever you need to the head. Then, I'd try putting the patterns of the blue jay in, specifically around the beak area. ell go from there.

1. nothing wrong with posting "in progress" concepts as long as the feedback is used to further develop the logo.

2. that bird needs a lot of work. For one thing, blue jays need lines going through their eyes. Look at the ref picture you posted. I get the concept of "artistic license", but you need to make it look at least a little bit more like a real jay.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

The beak is at the wrong angle and no matter how good your shading and coloring is and the rest of this logo, it will always look very much awkward. Angle it down at, I don't know, a 35 degree or so angle.

Young spammy, I would suggest to NEVer say or suggest that you have a final update, unless you are ABSOLUTELY sure you are finished. There is always room for improvement, and in your case there is a lot of room, so let us judge whether it is final, like I suggested in your last logo.

1. nothing wrong with posting "in progress" concepts as long as the feedback is used to further develop the logo.

2. that bird needs a lot of work. For one thing, blue jays need lines going through their eyes. Look at the ref picture you posted. I get the concept of "artistic license", but you need to make it look at least a little bit more like a real jay.

But i agree with bbtv, in progress concepts are positive experiences and are cool to see. BUT, you probably won't finish in a day, good logo development takes much longer, so don't be so quick to think you have reached the highest point.

i am confused at to whether that bottom area of white and gray is the lower beak and his mouth is very very wide open or it's some kind of beard. also, and this is getting ahead of the other work that this still needs, but the black outline doesnt come to a nice point in the beak, the bottom, or the one 'mohawk' spike, and i think it should once you get it all worked out.

youre still just drawing random shapes with no regard for the anatomical structure of the animal youre drawing.

your render is fine, but the eye sits well above the line of the beak, the white under it doesnt continue around the

rest of the face, there are key features like the line through the eyes missing.

you could make this into a nice enough logo man, but this is the same old problem. you have made no reference to the picture.

its also very hard to give feedback on something half finished. id at least take a shot at completing it to some level of your own satisfaction before posting again.

Archived