Early Hartford Whaler Logo Designs

Brass

Figured you guys would enjoy this almost as much as I did!

http://beaucolburn.com/post/314900107/design-sketches-of-the-hartford-whalers-logo

If you click on the picture, it'll take you to a Flickr account, which has more pictures, as well as full text from the article these sketches were taken from. Enjoy!

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That is the first time I've ever noticed the H in the logo. i feel like a complete retard.

Don't feel that way. Its one of those brilliant little nuances that are built into the logo in such a way that its easy to miss. Kind of like the arrow in the FedEx logo. I bet there are more people out there that had the same feeling you did but are too embarrased to admit it.

There was a fantastic thread some time a while ago with all sorts of logos with subtle nuances to them. I had the same feeling you did when I looked at the original Atlanta Falcons logo and didn't realize that it formed an 'F'.

That is the first time I've ever noticed the H in the logo. i feel like a complete retard.

Don't feel that way. Its one of those brilliant little nuances that are built into the logo in such a way that its easy to miss. Kind of like the arrow in the FedEx logo. I bet there are more people out there that had the same feeling you did but are too embarrased to admit it.

There was a fantastic thread some time a while ago with all sorts of logos with subtle nuances to them. I had the same feeling you did when I looked at the original Atlanta Falcons logo and didn't realize that it formed an 'F'.

I can see not noticing the arrow in the FedEx logo but the H should have been a little more obvious. Oh well.

I can see not noticing the arrow in the FedEx logo but the H should have been a little more obvious. Oh well.

You are only saying that because you see it. I don't think many items (including the Whaler 'H') that are formed from negative space is always that obvious.

:)

The H is pretty obvious.

It's also one of my favorite logos of all time (back when it was just the W and tail against a background, not when it was placed into a silver background and turned into a "patch".

I don't really have a favorite logo of all time, just because there are simply too many of them to choose from (and different categories, and some are meant for different applications, etc.), but by any measure, the HW is in my top tier, which probably consists of only a handfull of logos. IMO, it's as close to perfect as a major-league logo can get. There's only a few other logos I can say that about.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

It's also one of my favorite logos of all time (back when it was just the W and tail against a background, not when it was placed into a silver background and turned into a "patch".

Agree, something really special was lost when they did that. The elegant simplicity was damaged. Not fatally, but enough.

the greatest crime perpetrated against the Whaler's logo was when it was put on a navy uniform. It belongs on a green uniform IMO. I agree with Mockba's comment regarding the single entity. I just hated the huge emphasis on navy and grey.

I actually think it was enhanced greatly by becoming a single entity.

THIS. ^

As much as I once loved that logo, I'm less into it these days. Today it would probably be considered a fabulous shoulder patch. But very few would be in favor of seeing it as the crest of a uniform. I mean if it were new and we hadn't seen it before.

That said, that's true of many great hockey logos I think. The Devils, Flames, Flyers, and Blues probably all fall into that category. Then there's other logos we consider great, like the Canadiens and Bruins, that we probably wouldn't even like as shoulder logos if they were new today.

So maybe I should love it the same as I always did.

the greatest crime perpetrated against the Whaler's logo was when it was put on a navy uniform.

On the other hand, I completely disagree with this comment. I found the Whalers' navy blue uniforms to be a major improvement over the green uniforms. Frankly, Hartford's uniforms from the 1992-93 through 1996-97 seasons strike me as being amongst the best sets in the history of the NHL. By comparison, I found the green unis to be "meh".

since we're talking about it, I'll agree that these

keithprimeau2.jpg

were so much better than these

francis.jpg

and I love the Whalers logo as evidenced by its inclusion in the favorite logos section of my profile.

PvO6ZWJ.png

I agree with the single entity Whalers logo (though the comparisons to a toilet seat and the ensuing connotations are not unfounded). The H is just as evident with the silver background, without having an inferior "road version" muddling up the package. I'll also take the navy blue over the pea green. It's not that I dislike green, but that particular shade of green from head to toe wasn't ideal. Ah, Whalers. Awesome logo, a wacky theme song. Man, we had a nice little regional circuit going, didn't we.

As for how these logos would fare had they been introduced today, it's hard to say. I don't see why not. I think the doodle test is still a good way to judge logos. That's why everyone loves the Houston Texans so much.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived