Black Hawks

MikePho3niX

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know the *AHEM* "traditionalists" won't like it, but I can't think of a single way that the main crest isn't an upgrade from what they have. It keeps all the distinctive features of the Indian-head while bringing the Hawks into the 21st century.

And really, aside from the obvious knee-jerk anti-"pc" reasons, exactly what is there to hold on to from the last 50 years that would justify keeping the current crest? But then this is the same town where the baseball team that just won a World Series a few years ago is a distant second in popularity to the team that hasn't won one in over a century.

The current crest is the best logo in all of sport. Not being traditionalist or anything. It just is a fantastic logo. Changing that to what Mike has made would not be a good move.

I have no issues with Mike's work. I think it's awesome for a concept. One of the better ones.

However, when people start crying for concept logos to replace team's primary marks, especially when they want to replace the pinnacle of sports logos, the only thing that comes to mind is "absurd".

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

I love the current Blackhawks logo, and echo what's been said about it being the best (or rather among the best, I still think Hartford's was better). However, this new logo trumps it. If the Blackhawk head can't be replaced, this should still be their secondary mark.

CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.pngHamilton Eagles- 2012 and 2013 Continental Hockey League Champions! CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.png

2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 CHL East Division Champions!

Niagara Dragoons- 2012 United League and CCSLC World Series Champions!
2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 UL Robinson Division Champions!

Having a Native background i just seemed drawn to the Hawks logo. there is alot of hate yet alot of love for it. I never set out to change a classic. After being around here and Icethetics and Puckdrawn. I know people hate when you mess with classic. I'm happy that you all look at it in a light of a designer and the art of a image, and not just a Fan view! Thanks you!

This is the first logo i made ever that i was totally happy with. It also started my love for making more. I would love to make my own logo and sell them at a price where all people to buy one. That's a dream!, i have a long way to go in that.

As for this the story for this is that i have 1 more set in my hands ( 1 Main, 2 secondary patches) altogether there was 12 sets made in tackle twill and embroidery. A fan of this logo in Chicago loved it and offered to give me what i got at payment if he could make them and give them to friends. I was worried at first but this person was very truthful and and very understanding of my feeling to what was happening. He also asked a few friends of his if it would be good to go into business with me to produce more, and sell them on ebay. Although we both wanted to do it, it was decided with the help of a lawyer friend that it was still too close to the real hawks logo and i could be infringing on there copyright. He did tell me to trademark(I'm in the middle of trying to do that)it so it would be totally mine if the Hawks ever did want to get there hands on it. I don't think that will happen, but you never know. So all i had to do was order the RBK Edge Hawks jersey and get it pressed on.

MikePho3niX.png

WOW! I love this logo! That is awesome that you went even further and had it put on a jersey! Never thought about that... how you go about doing something like that and what was the cost? I would figure if you just had one done it would be pretty pricey.

Mhockeyavatar-1.jpgMRink.jpgMhockeyavatarmaize-1.jpg

I've seen this logo here and there for some time and I really like it, but not necessarily for the Chicago Blackhawks. Rather, this is exactly what the Rockford team should be using. They can be the Blackhawks without using exactly what the parent club uses. Variation on a theme.

I know the *AHEM* "traditionalists" won't like it, but I can't think of a single way that the main crest isn't an upgrade from what they have. It keeps all the distinctive features of the Indian-head while bringing the Hawks into the 21st century. And really, aside from the obvious knee-jerk anti-"pc" reasons, exactly what is there to hold on to from the last 50 years that would justify keeping the current crest?

It was really only 1997-2007 that the Blackhawks were a complete embarrassment to sports. Bad as the dark era was, it wasn't bad enough to scrap what's considered one of the best uniforms around, of which the Indian head is most certainly a part. The history's very good. Hull, Mikita, Esposito, Savard, Larmer, Roenick, Chelios, and Belfour are all great players, with all but Larmer in the Hall or bound for it. As for how it's not an upgrade, I'll submit that it's a little too detailed to look as good from a distance as it does up close. I still like the logo, don't get me wrong, but it isn't better than the Indian head. Also, regarding lawsuits against the Blackhawks for using native imagery:

1) I don't know of any suits in the past

2) I don't know of any forthcoming suits

3) I don't know why and how there would be, because it's not really derogatory. It's just there

4) any attempts would be crushed underfoot like an ant by the formidable WirtzCo empire, which briefly passed legislation that prevented liquor stores from not buying from them.

So it's all moot.

But then this is the same town where the baseball team that just won a World Series a few years ago is a distant second in popularity to the team that hasn't won one in over a century.

Why should that change anything? I don't understand you. It's not like the Cubs have a monopoly on dicking their fans over with expensive bad baseball. For significant numbers of people to switch teams just because one won a World Series a few years ago would be a more damning indictment of shameful sports fandom than sticking with the Cubs.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

The current crest is the best logo in all of sport. Not being traditionalist or anything. It just is a fantastic logo. Changing that to what Mike has made would not be a good move.

I have no issues with Mike's work. I think it's awesome for a concept. One of the better ones.

However, when people start crying for concept logos to replace team's primary marks, especially when they want to replace the pinnacle of sports logos, the only thing that comes to mind is "absurd".

I'll grant you that it might be one of the better logos in the NHL, but it's not even the best in its own league. The Hawks logo is way too cartoonish by todays standards. Contrast that with, say, the Red Wings logo which could be submitted for a brand new team despite being 60+ years old or the Avs logo that is one of the VERY few logos from the mid 90s that shows no signs of aging.

It was really only 1997-2007 that the Blackhawks were a complete embarrassment to sports. Bad as the dark era was, it wasn't bad enough to scrap what's considered one of the best uniforms around, of which the Indian head is most certainly a part. The history's very good. Hull, Mikita, Esposito, Savard, Larmer, Roenick, Chelios, and Belfour are all great players, with all but Larmer in the Hall or bound for it.

The Packers teams that wore plain yellow shells produced more HOFers than any other era, that doesn't mean they should go back to wearing them. In fact, one of the reasons Vince Lombardi put a logo on the helmets (opposed to going the Cleveland Brown route) is because, regardless of the tradition that had been established, the team and organization as a whole had been in complete disarray for the past decade when he arrived and he (correctly) felt they needed to separate themselves from that. A lot of this could just as easily describe the Hawks in 2010, no?

Why should that change anything? I don't understand you. It's not like the Cubs have a monopoly on dicking their fans over with expensive bad baseball. For significant numbers of people to switch teams just because one won a World Series a few years ago would be a more damning indictment of shameful sports fandom than sticking with the Cubs.

The Cubs may not have a monopoly, but it'd be pretty damn hard to argue they're not the most egregious offenders. Every other team in the top 3 markets has won a pennant in the last 25 years. This despite having the most loyal fans out of those six clubs and possibly all of baseball. There's not too many situations where I wouldn't agree with the point you're making, but given what the Cubs organization has put its fans through, I have to say they'd be more than justified.

You're just butthurt that there are Cubs fans schlepping up the tollway to see them in Milwaukee. You can't wish them away.

The Packers teams that wore plain yellow shells produced more HOFers than any other era, that doesn't mean they should go back to wearing them. In fact, one of the reasons Vince Lombardi put a logo on the helmets (opposed to going the Cleveland Brown route) is because, regardless of the tradition that had been established, the team and organization as a whole had been in complete disarray for the past decade when he arrived and he (correctly) felt they needed to separate themselves from that. A lot of this could just as easily describe the Hawks in 2010, no?

Perhaps, but they obviously don't feel that the bad has poisoned the good to the extent that they have to start all over again. Here in 2010, after two and a half years of aggressively and extensively marketing the team with the Indian head to be seen everywhere, it's too late to replace the logo, which is still beloved by the Wirtz family. (I think a relative designed it?) Besides, I don't think Original Six teams can make significant changes to logos and color schemes, anyway.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Being from Chicago and a life long hawk fan. I agree that their current logo is the best. I have seen this logo going around the city the last couple of years and it gets positive approval from people when they see it. I have seen it on t-shirts and hats around the city. I love it and was wondering who exactly came up with it. If it is you Mike well done!! Though I am oppose to changing the current one if they did have to change this should be the one!! Mike where can I buy a t-shirt or hat with this logo?

donm.gif

Gordon-Tech-Rams.png

Archived