Andre Dawson Elected to HOF; Alomar Falls Short...

CDixonDesign

Apparently there were plenty of snubbed writers who won't vote for a guy on the first year, Alomar falls 1.3% short....Also, just noting, 5 ballots were sent in completely blank...

Congrats to Dawson for getting in however....

Here's the voting breakdown: Name, # of Votes, % of Votes

Player Votes Pct.

Andre Dawson 420 77.9

Bert Blyleven 400 74.2

Roberto Alomar 397 73.7

Jack Morris 282 52.3

Barry Larkin 278 51.6

Lee Smith 255 47.3

Edgar Martinez 195 36.2

Tim Raines 164 30.4

Mark McGwire 128 23.7

Alan Trammell 121 22.4

Fred McGriff 116 21.5

Don Mattingly 87 16.1

Dave Parker 82 15.2

Dale Murphy 63 11.7

Harold Baines 33 6.1

Andres Galarraga 22 4.1

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think Dawson and Blyleven should have gotten in. I am torn however on the first ballot voting. I agree with the statement that if you are a Hall of Famer, you are a Hall of Famer, regardless of year. That being said, i do think there is some sort of justification for not putting in someone on the first ballot unless they are truly a special player.

I am completely against the people who will NOT vote for someone the first year the are eligible though.

Normally i am against people who degrade themselves and the game like how Alomar spit in the face of the umpire... however, i understand we are all human, we all make mistakes. He will get into the Hall, and he deserves it, being one of the top 3 second basemen of all time.

now lets just get Pete Rose in the Hall finally!

_CLEVELANDTHATILOVEIndians.jpg

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

I think Dawson and Blyleven should have gotten in. I am torn however on the first ballot voting. I agree with the statement that if you are a Hall of Famer, you are a Hall of Famer, regardless of year. That being said, i do think there is some sort of justification for not putting in someone on the first ballot unless they are truly a special player.

I am completely against the people who will NOT vote for someone the first year the are eligible though.

Normally i am against people who degrade themselves and the game like how Alomar spit in the face of the umpire... however, i understand we are all human, we all make mistakes. He will get into the Hall, and he deserves it, being one of the top 3 second basemen of all time.

now lets just get Pete Rose in the Hall finally!

It's never going to happen. Nor should it.

BB52Big.jpg

IMO, it's a travesty that Alomar didn't get in. He's a career .300 hitter, has over 2,700 hits, is a 12-time All-Star, was arguably the best player on two championship teams, won 10 Gold Gloves, and 4 Silver Sluggers. I mean, c'mon, the guy is one of the five best second basemen of all time and has significantly better numbers than Joe Morgan, who got in on the first ballot. However, I do think that the voting committee got it right by putting the Hawk in the Hall.

Engine, Engine, Number Nine, on the New York transit line,

If my train goes off the track, pick it up! Pick it up! Pick it up!

Back on the scene, crispy and clean,

You can try, but then why, 'cause you can't intervene.

We be the outcast, down for the settle. Won't play the rock, won't play the pebble.

I agree with what you guys say but... its the Hall of Fame... it should be about what he did on the field. He has the most hits, EVER, by a long shot. I met him in Las Vegas at a tournament and he was a real a-hole... but i still think he deserves a spot there.

I hope he gets in before he dies. This may be a bit too deep, but i remember a line from some movie... and it went something like "One deed is not enough to save a man from a lifetime of wrong doing... but one wrong action is enough to condemn a man, even with a life lived the correct way."

_CLEVELANDTHATILOVEIndians.jpg

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

Every year I hope that some of these guys get justice and every year I am furious that the writers are the ones that decide the fate of people like Alomar and Dawson. I am happy Dawson got it. I loved watching him and he is deserving (in my mind)

I know I have campaigned tirelessly for McGriff to get better consideration than he has gotten, but I did that just KNOWING that Alomar and Larkin were gonna get in. The vote simply needs to be out of the hands of the writers.

I have said it on another thread, but the reasons behind not voting for a certain player is ridiculous. The HOF vote should not be used to settle old scores or send messages. And voters who simply don't vote should never have the right to vote again. There is no accountability. Either the vote should be made public so the writers will be forced to explain the reasoning, or they should be stripped of the right all together.

Someone didn't vote for Ted Williams because he pissed him off one day.

Someone didn't vote for Hank Aaron because he is black.

Someone didn't vote for Ricky Henderson because he was cocky.

And someone in this group of writers is not going to vote for Maddux, Ichiro, Griffey, or Johnson. It's a damn shame.

(CDD, Sorry I ranted on your thread. :))

I agree with what you guys say but... its the Hall of Fame... it should be about what he did on the field. He has the most hits, EVER, by a long shot. I met him in Las Vegas at a tournament and he was a real a-hole... but i still think he deserves a spot there.

Rose also broke baseball's most unbreakable rule while "on the field." He was managing The Reds while he was betting on The Reds. With that knowledge we have to question the integrity of every move he ever made not only as a manager but as a player too. You don't get to :censored: up the way Rose did and still get into The Hall. The rules are very clear on this and if you bend them for Pete then you have to bend them for everyone. What he did damaged the integrity of the game itself. That's a pretty big deal. And yeah, it's The Hall Of Fame. All the more reason Pete Rose should not be inducted. To do so is a tacit endorsement of his behavior. It simply cannot happen.

If that's not enough for you then read the following post again...

Rose knew the score, and made his choice. He's the one who kept himself out of the Hall.

BB52Big.jpg

Good I am glad Alomar fell short.

I feel sorry for Blyleven its his last year on the ballot.

Jack Morris, Barry Larkin and Tim Raines deserve allot more consideration, all three are Hall of Famers in my book.

as for Pete Rose I said it before I'll say it again, he's been punished enough let him in and Shoeless Joe too.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Jack Morris, Barry Larkin and Tim Raines deserve allot more consideration, all three are Hall of Famers in my book.

as for Pete Rose I said it before I'll say it again, he's been punished enough let him in and Shoeless Joe too.

Why is that? The guy was easily the best at his position for a long time. He was the only serious no-brainer I saw on the list this year. You need to judge his career as a whole, not just when he was making you miserable while he played for The Mets.

BB52Big.jpg

I have said it on another thread, but the reasons behind not voting for a certain player is ridiculous. The HOF vote should not be used to settle old scores or send messages. And voters who simply don't vote should never have the right to vote again. There is no accountability. Either the vote should be made public so the writers will be forced to explain the reasoning, or they should be stripped of the right all together.

Someone didn't vote for Ted Williams because he pissed him off one day.

Someone didn't vote for Hank Aaron because he is black.

Someone didn't vote for Ricky Henderson because he was cocky.

And someone in this group of writers is not going to vote for Maddux, Ichiro, Griffey, or Johnson. It's a damn shame.

(CDD, Sorry I ranted on your thread. :))

Agreed 100%. I'd love to see the 6% that didn't vote for Rickey's induction into the hall & their reasons as to why. Same with Hank & Ted. I mean, I can understand why some people don't get voted into the hall or if it takes them a long time to get in like Blyleven (who it seems will FINALLY get in by this time next year), but when it comes to guys like Alomar (who should be gettin his swerve on right now celebrating his induction into the Hall), it's crazy. I said it before, the two involved parties already agreed to forget it & let the whole thing go, but the writers saw fit to send him a message. Ridiculous, but as long as this generation of baseball writers are in charge, that's how it's gonna be. Just got to get used to it, I guess.

That being said, you can go to the hot stove thread for my thoughts on Dawson. I'm very excited that he got in.

Why is that? The guy was easily the best at his position for a long time. He was the only serious no-brainer I saw on the list this year. You need to judge his career as a whole, not just when he was making you miserable while he played for The Mets.

Does years in New York will forever taint him in my book. If he gets in the Hall it will be on be on my vote

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Who are you, The Patron Saint of Lost Causes? Pete Rose, Shoeless Joe, Cleveland sports???

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Does years in New York will forever taint him in my book. If he gets in the Hall it will be on be on my vote

The quote might be short, but certainly head-scratching worthy... :wacko:

I saw, I came, I left.

Archived