Minnesota Golden Gophers Pro Combat

Bmac

I know I am a little late to the party, but I finally finished my first Nike Pro Combat concept. It is for the Minnnesota Golden Gophers. Originally, I planned to go complete throwback for the Gophers, but while working on it I decided it would look better with some modern elements. The jersey is white with classic a striping design and gold numbers outlined in maroon. The pants follow a similar design, with the Goldy head logo on the side. The helmet is white with the M logo, a nod to the team's early helmets.

gophersnpc1.png

This is only my second ever football concept, so if I have missed an important element or messed something up, please let me know so I can learn how to make these correctly before making more. B) C+C please!

**Update posted below**

This is a great start that you have here, especially considering the fact that it's only your second football concept. As far as improvements go, I'd center the 'M' on the collar shield (right now it's much more on the left side), make the stripes on the arm match those on the helmet and pants, and curve the pants stripe so that it follows the cut of the pants.

Engine, Engine, Number Nine, on the New York transit line,

If my train goes off the track, pick it up! Pick it up! Pick it up!

Back on the scene, crispy and clean,

You can try, but then why, 'cause you can't intervene.

We be the outcast, down for the settle. Won't play the rock, won't play the pebble.

I agree with everything koizim had to say minus the matching helmet, sleeve, and pants striping. In certain cases I think that rule of thumb applies well but the sleeve striping you used doesn't work well on pants and helmet (unless of course you're cool with changing the sleeve striping). Also you should reduce the stroke on the numbers. Nice start!

i think if you are doing the pro combat uniform... go crazy with it. Really get creative with your ideas.

_CLEVELANDTHATILOVEIndians.jpg

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

Overall it looks pixelated and very rough around the edges. It can't be that hard to clean up images because we've seen many a good paint concept, and i've seen much cleaner from you, or just get inkscape. The update made the pants look even worse, they curve awkwardly, the widths are messed up, and the red stripe to the left is really messy. The number outline is too thick, and the NOB is far too big, a player with even 7 letters in his name would be problematic. The design with 5 stripes is far more interesting than the design with 3, and I think it's better. The gopher logo isn't really fit for use on a uniform, it's incredibly cartoony and mascot logos belong on fan merchandise in the book store.

Even with the problems, aestetically it's pretty solid, I think the yellow inside the red looks pretty good, and all white usually looks nice, especially when a school usually wears so much maroon and yellow. Still, I think the second option is TOO much yellow. Especially with the yellow numbers.

STILL....Pro combat offers a chance to do something really out of the box with some interesting modern template, and the only thing besides the pants that is modern here is the usual generic shoulder wiring. Come up with something we've never seen before, that's the beauty of pro combat. WVGuin66 is doing a really good job of that in his thread.

A thought (which I think I've seen somewhere on this board):

If you were to do a stripe from the armpit to the side of the collar on each side, and then color in the neck with the color of the armpit stripe, it would look like the Minnesota M (which to the rest of the world looks like an upside-down W). Something like:

/\/\

Packers-2.png

yeah i like the second one with the 3 stripes on the sleeves. it looks a lot more clean.

like i said originally though, if its pro combat... go crazy with it... really think of something over the top.

_CLEVELANDTHATILOVEIndians.jpg

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

Pro combat necessarily doesn't mean "go crazy"....it's about being innovative and clean. You can go crazy, but it has to be relevant and tasteful, (think TCU red stripe on the helmet)...What you've got is exactly that, no need to go wild and put gopher tails on the back of the pants or anything silly....

I think the Gophers did that back in the 90's and only for a few games, because people hated it so much, i'll see if I can dig up a picture...

Edit: Found it, two "M" logos but hideous nonetheless...

ugly-unis-minnesota.jpg

Those are seriously real? They had 6 M's on their uniform.

"The 0-2 pitch... SWING AND A MISS! STRUCK HIM OUT! THE PHILADELPHIA PHILLIES ARE 2008 WORLD CHAMPIONS OF BASEBALL!"

J M yoU wish you had a Duke Dog!

I think the Gophers did that back in the 90's and only for a few games, because people hated it so much, i'll see if I can dig up a picture...

Edit: Found it, two "M" logos but hideous nonetheless...

ugly-unis-minnesota.jpg

I never noticed the shoulder numbers on the backside.

Archived