My (Personal) Football League Redesign

CJworks

Once again solid execution. The crow logo is nice by itself but, IMO, I don't think it looks good on the helmet. The pants are my favorite part here, I think it would help if you put a similar striping on the jersey. Maybe like how West Virginia's uniforms are since they have a similar striping on the pants. Besides that I like the colors and font, good work as always!

maehl.png

• Replies 881
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Florida Sharks Update

Up Next: Cleveland Bandits Update

sharkREVO1-2.png

Big changes here. The old primary seemed a little too predictable and seemed like 'an easy way out'. I took the primary to a different level here, with a stylized blue shark leaping in the air in front of the Florida sun. I took a leap with the script as well, this one customized. I went a little further on the shark-fin logo too, this one inspired by the San Jose Sharks' logo.

Uniforms stayed the same pretty much, but I simplified the uniforms to Blue and Yellow. I also added a throwback, inspired by their first uniforms.

Home

sharkhome3.png

Away

sharkaway3.png

Alternate

sharkalternate3.png

Throwback

sharkthrowback.png

Cleveland Bandits Update

Up Next: Dallas Talons Update

banditREVO1-1.png

Again, not much of a change. The only things I really did here were eliminate some colors in the logos and create a cleaner custom font. Primary, Secondary, and Script.

For the uniforms, all I did was eliminate a stroke on the numbers.

Home

bandithome2-2.png

Away

banditaway2-2.png

Alternate

banditalternate2-2.png

Dallas Talons Update

Up Next: #19.19 Topeka Indians, Miami Pirates, New York Lightning, San Diego Wildcats, Chicago Dragons and Los Angeles Aztecs Updates

talonREVO1-2.png

Not much. I made a significant change to the primary logo and helmet, the new primary is the iconic Dallas star (gripped by talons of a bird). Just a personal preference, I never noticed how nice it looked until I actually tried it. Secondary, Script, and Tertiary here.

Home

talonhome2-1.png

Away

talonaway2-1.png

Alternate

talonalternate2-1.png

Well, that's what I've got. The Aztecs, Pirates and Lightning are ready to post, but I'll go ahead and release them when I finish up the Indians, Dragons and Wildcats...

...THEN the long-waited Minnesota Bruins will be up.

How do you guys feel about the updates? Yay or Nay?

the Dallas Talons concept BLEW.

MY.

MIND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Love the logos!! The script. The uniforms. IMO your best concept, which says a lot and then some! Words cannot describe how much I admire your logos in this series. Second favorite designer on here besides Jaha...( and Davidson of course).

(**) (**) (**) (**) (**)

This is a great series. I've been following it, albeit it silently, since the beginning. Now that I've registered I'll be able to add some input. The updates are all positive in my opinion. all were improved, and I'm looking forward to seeing both the rest of the updates, and the rest of the series alike.

As for the team names. For Detroit, perhaps Mustangs? Since Detroit is known as the Motor City, and Mustang is a car. Kind of a play on words, although there was a soccer club named that in the past.

For New Orleans, Spiders or Arachnids maybe? Aren't spiders prevalent in the southern states? I might be wrong, just throwing things out there.

I really really like that new Sharks logo. If you would tell me a full-bodied shark logo would look nice without the tail fin, I'd think it wouldnt work, but here, you did it. Its the style of the shark that I love mostly. It looks great from afar. I like the secondary with just the fin above the water. It's also nice.

The talons gripping the star is better too. You have quite a few bird heads from the profile view in your league, so it's a nice change of pace, beside the fact that it makes more sense for a team named Talons. I really like it.

Is the Crows font by chance the same as the ATL Falcons? It doesnt matter if it is, I was just curious? I do the same thing.

For the divisions, I don't think it matters if some teams are spuradically placed all over, Im sure there's a reason for it. Like you said these teams have some histories, but if that's the case, I think the divisions or conferences shouldnt have geographical names then. Maybe names like Federal or Continental or American would work. if those names are too cliche, Im sure there's other good names for the divisions out there. But again, this is your league so those are just my thoughts, of course, do whatever you feel is best.

But I'm liking the updates. This league is beginning to take shape nicely.

Overall, these are pretty good updates. Everything seems to be an improvement, and as jaha said, the league is taking shape nicely. I especially like the re-focusing of the Talons logo and helmet on the actual talons instead of just being another bird head logo.

A couple of things about two of the logos bother me, though. First, a lot of the forms in the Crows primary/helmet logo seem kinda arbitrary. All the jagged, lightning-bolt-esque forms don't really seem to define any shapes on the bird; they just seem to be there to fill space and look "intense." Also, the bottom edge of the logo (where it's truncated) seems arbitrary. I know from experience that the logo has to end somewhere, and sometimes it is a bit arbitrary where that edge needs to be formed, but the waveform/sharp angle comment looks particularly odd. I wish I could be more specific than that or offer more detailed suggestions, but in general it just seems like this logo needs refinement and a better overall style.

Second, I really like the new look and style of the Sharks logo. It's dynamic, aggressive, and has a lot of motion going on, with a distinct motif in the way you're using repeating elements. (Note: this sort of solid style is part of what's missing from the Crows logo.) But while I like that it's heavily stylized, with the back end of the shark simply tapering into sharp points, I don't see the shark as jumping out of the water per se. If that's important to you, then I think you need to go back and find a way to show us something to represent the water, because right now, he's just floating in front of the sun. That said, I don't know that you need to make a change: if you hadn't told us that jumping out of the water in front of the sun was the intended scene, I would have just seen a nice shark logo set above a yellow circle, which is fine. Other than that, I'd say lose the tiny little dark blue notch at the back of the dorsal fin. Personally, it's distracting to my eye.

But still, very solid stuff here. Between you and jaha, we've got a couple of very nice fantasy leagues going on here, and I continue to look forward to both of them.

HURRICANES | PANTHERS | WHITE SOX | WOLFPACK

Before anyone goes on about how awful the team alignment is, I probably won't be changing it because this is how it has been since 2006, and the fact that some teams are jumbled up makes it unique in its own way.

UFLteamsanddivisions.png

I love everything, but the divisions don't make a lot of sense. Here's my version, for what it's worth.

32%20team%20league.PNG

Edit: maybe someone could extract this post and put it in the Pointless Realignment Thread?

Before anyone goes on about how awful the team alignment is, I probably won't be changing it because this is how it has been since 2006, and the fact that some teams are jumbled up makes it unique in its own way.

UFLteamsanddivisions.png

I love everything, but the divisions don't make a lot of sense. Here's my version, for what it's worth.

32%20team%20league.PNG

Edit: maybe someone could extract this post and put it in the Pointless Realignment Thread?

@Magnus: I think your idea sounds good. Only differences are as follows:

• rename the Atlantic Division, the Southeastern Division
  • rename the Southwestern Division, the Mountain Division
  • rename the Southern Division, the Southwestern Division?

@CJWorks: About the Washington Knights, weren't they going to be based in Washington, D.C.? Or did you/were you going to move them to Seattle, Washington? If it's the latter, I would call them the Seattle Knights.

But anyway, I love the updated sets for Vegas, Charlotte, Florida (possibly based in Tampa Bay), Dallas, and Cleveland.

And as for the 2 teams currently without a nickname:

Detroit:

• Mustangs (a reference to the Ford Mustang muscle car; also a reference to the city's automobile industry)
  • Mastodons (named for the state fossil of Michigan)
  • Stags (named for the White-tailed deer, the state game animal of Michigan)
  • Firebirds (another name referring to Detroit's automaking history; named for the Firebird muscle car built by the now-defunct Pontiac division of General Motors)

New Orleans:

• Pelicans (the Brown Pelican is the state bird of Louisiana)
  • Gators (Alligators are commonly found in the swamps of Louisiana; also, the American Alligator is the state reptile of Louisiana)
  • Dukes (New Orleans was founded in 1718 and named for Philippe II, Duke of Orleans, who was a Regent of France at the time)
  • Drillers (reference to the city's strong ties to the oil production industry)
  • Roughnecks (another name referring to the city's oil production industry)
  • Mudbugs (Mudbugs -- also known as crawfish, crayfish, or crawdads -- are commonly found in Louisiana; also, the state of Louisiana supplies 98% of the mudbugs harvested in the U.S.)

YOZXkBG.png?1

I think your idea sounds good. Only differences are as follows:

Renamed the Atlantic the Southeast. I still like the Southwest Division as 3/4 teams are in what

I judge to be Southwestern states. Renamed the division with all the Texas teams in it the Texan

Division. Renamed the Pacific the California Division.

32-team%20league.PNG

I think your idea sounds good. Only differences are as follows:

Renamed the Atlantic the Southeast. I still like the Southwest Division as 3/4 teams are in what

I judge to be Southwestern states. Renamed the division with all the Texas teams in it the Texan

Division. Renamed the Pacific the California Division.

32-team%20league.PNG

This.

25yzwqg.png

Detroit:

• Mustangs (a reference to the Ford Mustang muscle car; also a reference to the city's automobile industry)
  • Firebirds (another name referring to Detroit's automaking history; named for the Firebird muscle car built by the now-defunct Pontiac division of General Motors)

New Orleans:
  • Gators (Alligators are commonly found in the swamps of Louisiana; also, the American Alligator is the state reptile of Louisiana)
  • Dukes (New Orleans was founded in 1718 and named for Philippe II, Duke of Orleans, who was a Regent of France at the time)
  • Mudbugs (Mudbugs -- also known as crawfish, crayfish, or crawdads -- are commonly found in Louisiana; also, the state of Louisiana supplies 98% of the mudbugs harvested in the U.S.)

Detroit Mustangs and NOLA Gators.

Detroit:

New Orleans:

Detroit Mustangs and NOLA Gators.

For Detroit:

I can see both the Mustangs and Firebirds (both are nameplates of cars which Detroit is known for)

I also suggest the Tarantulas (its sounds good with the city's name, eventhough it has nothing to do with the city)

New Orleans:

Pelicans, Gators, Dukes - I like these suggestions

Jokers, Jesters, Harlequins - Because of the Big Easy's famed Mardi Gras

I can't see Roughnecks, Drillers or Mudbugs

I also could see a logo and a nickname that involves or is used with a cresent because a cresent is a symbol widely used throughout the city. But nothing that is in reference for Muslims. In which this symbol could get highly criticized for.

really enjoy this thread? i appreciate the thought and research behind all of the work?the throwback idea of including your initial ideas from the past is great... I have sketchbooks of ideas in the same vain?. I've posted some of the updated ideas a while back on the boards here but never as extensively as you have? great work!

sports_sig_by_PWG44.jpg

Heres some more:

Detroit:

Dreadnaughts

Turbos (defunct National Lacrosse League nickname)

Express (defunct NASL nickname)

New Orleans:

Oilers:

Some team color combo suggestions for teams not done yet:

Arizona Cobras: Purple,White & Lime Green

Longhorns: Copper,White & Dark Brown

Lonestars: Red, White & Blue (colors of the Texas state flag- enough said)

Emperors: Wine/Burgundy, White, Hunter Green & Columbia Blue

Bruins: Pewter, White & Black

Rivermen: Navy, Orange, White & Kelly Green

Desperados: Brick Red, Sand, White & Hunter Green

Outlaws: Burgundy, White, & Old Gold

And try this one for the Rage:

Black, White, Lime Green & Hot Pink (trim color)

San Diego Wildcats Update

Up Next: New York Lightning Update

wildcatREVO1-2.png

Nothing too drastic here, but I did focus on tweaking the wildcat a whole lot. I went with something more realistic and intimidating, two aspects that you guys asked me to look into. The new primary is here, new secondary (an SD monogram with wave detail) here, new script here.

Home

wildcathome3.png

Away

wildcataway3.png

Alternate

wildcatalternate3.png

New York Lightning Update

Up Next: Los Angeles Aztecs Update

lightningREVO1-2.png

Again, nothing much here. The primary is now an updated NY monogram, the secondary is the Zeus logo, and the new script is here to match the new primary.

The uniforms went through an overhaul. Much simpler look this time around, I tried to make it a little more professional.

Home

lightninghome3-1.png

Away

lightningaway3-1.png

Alternate Home

lightningalternate3-1.png

Archived