My (Personal) Football League Redesign

CJworks

Very nice update. Glad to see this series back. I like this wordmark because it's not enclosed in a box. It makes it seem more NFL-ish that way. And the triangular shapes are genious on the jerseys/helmet, especially because they look like the actual woven blankets and clothes of Native Americans. On the primary logo's grayish outline, I dont think it needs to cut in below his chin. It makes it look like a highlight rather than a lowlight, when the neck is usually very shaded. It makes his neck look slightly long. That's nitpicky though since this is mostly very well-done.

• Replies 881
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow. Your work looks so much better on that template. (No offense mbannon)

I don't know why I would take offense...I didn't make the template he was using before.

lol oops the template he was using is similar to yours.

2ry0jsl.jpg

Fast. Hard. Finish.

Wow. Your work looks so much better on that template. (No offense mbannon)

I don't know why I would take offense...I didn't make the template he was using before.

lol oops the template he was using is similar to yours.

Yeah, I took that template and made a Pro Combat cut out of it, which is probably what you're thinking of. But I think everyone has moved on from that...andrewharrignton's is WAY better.

Well I updated the Indians set (check in the original post) with the suggestions that you guys had. Tell me what you think.

#20 Minnesota Bruins

Up Next: #21 Austin Lonestars

minnesota_bruins-1.png

The entire direction that I went with for the Bruins changed so many times during the sketch process that it's not even funny. Trying to balance two bear-related-wilderness-themed teams like the Montana Grizzlies and the Minnesota Bruins was tough, but I feel like I managed to differentiate them enough from each other while still maintaining the general idea of both identities. While the bear profile was taken, I couldn't resist with the idea of a stylized bear head on a dark helmet shell, the whole idea seemed really intimidating for a football team. So I took the wilderness theme and incorperated it into each mark, with claw scratches used throughout the uniform. The idea for the secondary wa s to create an "M" logo created in the negative space of outdoors-y elements. I'm not completely sure if it works for you guys, but I like it enough to use it in the secondary wordmark.

A little background on the whole Bruins "franchise" though (remember, these are all make-believe teams that I've drawn up a good 6 or 7 years ago and played with all 32 of these teams in the Madden Franchis Mode): they started off as the Brooklyn Bulldogs for a season, then became the Brooklyn Bruins. The whole idea for the Bruins set was a mirror of the NFL's Baltimore Ravens; both teams had a concrete defense, especially in the secondary. I used purple and black for a good 4 seasons (the first season's uniform is the one I used as a throwback, which was their most successful season in it's 6 years), until they started looking more and more like the Ravens with the addition of gold in the set. In '09, the entire franchise was in the dumps, and I decided to completely rebrand up their identity and finally give them an original look, rather than piggy-backing the Ravens.

Not much else to say here, other than the number font and wordmark are a custom inspiration of the NBA's Atlanta Hawks.

Home

bruins_home.png

Away

bruins_away.png

Alternate

bruins_alternate.png

Throwback

bruins_throwback.png

Well, there ya have it. I guess the question is this: yay or nay?

I really like both the logos and uniforms. One criticism I have, is with the primary with wordmark; I feel that with the logo going down and away, leaves a lot of open space, giving it an awkward feel.

Seeing this come back made me realize that I forgot to send you the bat. I brought it up from the basement, but I'll get that out to you right away. Sorry!

RockiesSig.png

I really like both the logos and uniforms. One criticism I have, is with the primary with wordmark; I feel that with the logo going down and away, leaves a lot of open space, giving it an awkward feel.

Seeing this come back made me realize that I forgot to send you the bat. I brought it up from the basement, but I'll get that out to you right away. Sorry!

Yeah, I only made the primary with wordmark the bear beacuase I felt the secondary wordmark didn't do the name any justice, but maybe it would work better.

Oh, and no problem. I kinda forgot about it too, but I'll be looking forward to recieving it in the mail!

Finally a new team rather than yet another update of an old team. Which, don't get me wrong, are always huge improvements. I've just been anxious to see your new teams. And boy is it awesome. Great color scheme and uniforms. That primary is amazing. I love the subtle trees in there. While I think the secondary is neat, I'm not sure that it's as great as the rest of the presentation.

Can't wait to see what else you have coming up.

Untitled.png

Love the colors, crisp lines and the use of the nature elements, but the Bruin looks more like a wolf or coyote to me than a bear. The ears are pointy instead of round, the face also is very angled instead of round with a protruding snout. Not sure if it works as a bear, but it is a great logo in general. Perhaps if it were the Predators, Prowlers or something where the species is unspecified it would not be an issue.

I say the "bruin head" logo looks more like a mountain lion than a bear. The alternate logos and the uniforms on the other hand look good nonetheless.

YOZXkBG.png?1

I actually see a bear in there, I can see the cat cases because it's a angular as opposed to being round like how a bear really is, but I think it's a cool way to see a bear portrayed, in sports right now bear logos are generally head on.

The only thing for me is this is pretty much the Minnesota Wild football version. It isn't really a problem and it's not like their exact copies, just the way you have the trees in the bear head and things like that. But yours differentiates a lot, I just thought of it as soon as I saw the concept.

Also, I really like the colors, it's something different and I think they look really nice together.

Overall solid work, I wouldn't change anything really.

edit

ok so i looked at it again and really it's not similar to the Wild, it was just what i noticed.

This is really good, but I have two tweaks to suggest:

1. The primary logo is really awkward - the bear looks like it's dangling from the script. I'd integrate it into the script better by rotating it to fit into the bottom curve.

2. The light green color is different enough to contrast against the dark green but not different enough to merit an alternate uniform. I just don't think it would look different enough on the field to matter (same problem the Patriots had between their whites and silvers). Maybe try a yellow alternate instead.

Otherwise, well done. The rendering here is excellent. This is one of the best series ever - keep up the good work!

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Yeah, I like the perspective of the bear; everything down to the last detail is great, but the shape of the bear needs a little more work to make it look more like a bruin. Very nice start, though! This is perfect down to every last detail. I can see you worked very hard on this.

25yzwqg.png

The Bruins look pretty sweet. The logos are great, and I LOVE that color scheme. I really like the uniform design as well. My only suggestions for improvement would be to make the Other/Tertiary logo the "Primary" and use the secondary logo on the sleeves rather than on the back above the NOB.

I really like the primary logo and the unique colors. I only see a bear and dont see a cat as others have said. the snout is distimctly a bear's. the pointy ear makes sense too since it's just a little flare to a bear that streaking quickly across. So I get it.

Someone above said to incorporate the bear and the wordmark more to make it a more complete logo, and I would agree if this was not a football logo, but since it is football, I would keep them separate. I assume your trying to make NFL-esque logos and not low level arean football logos, and no NFL team's primary logo consists of a huge wordmark (other than the Eagles sometimes off the top of my head).

I think the bear head looks nice on the helmet and if you change it too much, it will lose its aggressive feel. I like the way BRUINS appears on the jerseys without all the outlines. Everything looks really nice when placed on the jerseys.

Archived