My (Personal) Football League Redesign

CJworks

I like the helmets better now without that stripe. At first I honestly wasnt in love with the antlers on the helmet, but now that I see it again, it looks very cool and somewhat intimidating with all the black. Im a fan of the jerseys and numbers as well. And the deer theme of course works perfect for any Wisconsin team.

I second that.

YOZXkBG.png?1

• Replies 881
  • Created
  • Last Reply

#27 San Jose Outlaws

Up Next: #28 New Orleans Claws

san_jose_outlaws.png

This is as simple as it gets for the last 5 teams, and the team deserves the simplicity. Throughout its 6 year history, and being one of the 8 franchises still around, I've kept it relatively close to home. Having always had a royal blue color in their color scheme, I stayed true to the San Jose Outlaws' history. Being created in 2005, the Outlaws debuted a "vaguely stylized bandit, with a highwayman mask and barbed wire detail at the top",and the colors were royal blue, athletic gold, and red. A year later, the team rebranded in '06, featuring a simple "SJ in red on a white shell", with blue uniforms. This time around, they featured a royal blue and red color scheme, while dropping the athletic gold for gray. In '07, the team dropped gray completely from the scheme, leaving them with red and royal. The SJ logo was kept, however, and featured NY Football Giants style uniforms. Yet again, their (my :rolleyes:) indecisiveness took ahold and went with a new primary in '07 featuring a blue "SJ logo with a cowboy hat, reminiscent of the Austin Lonestars first logo". During that same year, they attempted to rebrand their first outlaw logo with a royal, gray, tan, and red color scheme. That only lasted a few months before they finally decided to stick with the original SJ logo full time in '08, which was featured on their uniforms. In '09, a slight uniform chnage was brought upon: SJ uner the collar, barbed wire on the sleeves, and Giants-esque uniforms (home, away).

THIS time around, the SJ logo stays...but in a modified "outlaw" context (I actually had two drafts of this, this is the first one). Royal blue sticks, but red was replaced with the old athletic gold, which was more derivitive from San Jose's city flag. I let the defunct since '08 outlaw heads stay defunct, so there is no "true" secondary logo. The whole typeface (lettering, numbers) are all a custom version of the MLB block font.

The uniforms are similar to the 2009 version, except the fact that I brought the shoulder numbers onto the sleeves. The throwback is a resurrection of the set with the first "SJ" logo back in '06.

outlaws_home2.png

outlaws_away2-1.png

outlaws_throwback.png

There it is. Didn't mean to write a novel, but rather to explain my reasoning for the rather simple set.

I'd love to hear some comments!

I like the simple design, and understand your reasoning behind it.

However, I feel that simple designs work best with more classic identities, and these logos are very modern (like much of your work).

I love when you post designs you drew when you were younger, because it reminds me of my drawings i use to make when I was like 11.

I even used to make full football and baseball leagues.

But I never kept the papers, and I wish I would have. :(

2043050vl19qK6.gif

I like the simple design, and understand your reasoning behind it.

However, I feel that simple designs work best with more classic identities, and these logos are very modern (like much of your work).

I love when you post designs you drew when you were younger, because it reminds me of my drawings i use to make when I was like 11.

I even used to make full football and baseball leagues.

But I never kept the papers, and I wish I would have. :(

I used to do this too. Something that drew me to this series in the first place was the history. I didn't keep mine either.

Anyway, as far as the concept goes, I'm a fan of the color scheme. It's almost exactly the same as my HS, and I loved our uniforms. Only thing I'd be curious to see is a little more of the athletic gold, but it could be just me.

San Jose looks great, but I would just add a yellow outline to the numbers.

I agree with north dakota

Philadelphia Eagles/Washington Nationals/Golden State Warriors/Oklahoma City Thunder/St. Louis Blues/Nashville Predators/Syracuse Orange

I think the Rage are very well done. I like the logo and think the antlers look pretty good. I don't think the R logo is all that great, but the primary and tertiary are pretty good.

spacer.png  5-time Defending NL East Champions spacer.png 

The logo and wordmark for San Jose look great, and I like the simplistic uniforms. My only suggestions would be to add a yellow outline to the numbers, as mentioned above, and to make all the barbed wire yellow for consistency.

And I too love when you show your old drawings, as I did the same thing. I would do league expansions and design logos, unis, and even stadiums. AND I kept everything!

I think what would look really neat on the San Jose logos would be replacing the yellow drop shadow with the barb wire pattern on the jerseys. You could keep everything else the same and keep the simple look, while still getting an outlaw-like feel with the barb wire. I dunno, it could look bad but I think it's worth a shot.

14622089383_66ed2643e0_o.jpg14415375480_b33010b5ce_o.jpg14602016315_3e9fe74148_o.jpg

@missouri: I see what you mean about the "modern logos" matching "modern uniforms", but my logic is that it's either keep all of the logos in the league in the same relative style or mix up the uniforms a bit. Plus, it felt right to have simple uniform due to the team's "history".

@gold outlines on the numbers: I'll consider this, but I always thought athletic gold outlines sort of saturate the numbers a little too much and they end up blending together from far away (see Kansas City Chiefs' home). They never had outlines anyways, but I'll give it a shot. I was going for a crisp clean look.

@CAB: I'll try it out, it sounds like a good idea. I'm just not sure if they'd come off as shadowing right away.

I'll see if I can get an update soon, tomorrow's my last day before school starts up again. As soon as I finish the rebranding of each team, I may try out some wallpapers, stadium designs, league realignments, and uniform as well

as logo histories. After that, a new series that'll be sure to get the attention of some of you. ;)

Stay tuned!

San Jose Outlaws uniforms could use a little more yellow; but overall, I still like how you went with the simplistic/not too "over-the-top" route for this team. That sure makes an interesting concept in my book.

YOZXkBG.png?1

Have you consdered placing an oval behind the SJ logo? Obviously this is fine with just the SJ, maybe too plain for some, but if you added a simple oval like the Packers, Niners, or Jets, maybe a little more modern, it would add that one extra element that makes this really good. I always think nothing says classy "football logo" like have that oval.

I would consider changing the stripe on the shoulder on the Road to yellow. But other than that pretty good. Mabye what jaha32 said could make it look better but I like it the way it is now as well.

bjays.jpg

859b2e1d-225e-4e60-9651-2aebe5e67109_zps4fd9e69d.jpg

Active Teams

Winnipeg Blue Bombers (1-2, T-1st, East Div.)

Toronto Blue Jays (45-49, 5th in AL East Div. 8.5 GB of wildcard spot)

Thanks for the comments guys. Ultimately, I decided against any uniform chanegs. I didn't really like how the yellow looked on the jersey, so I kept it minimal (like in the logo).

I tried out some of the suggestions jaha and CAB had, but I ended up keeping the logos the same as well.

New Orleans will be up within the next two days.

#28 New Orleans Claws

Up Next: #29 Houston Longhorns

new_orleans_claws.png

This one was fairly simple. I went with the name "Claws" because of the abundance of crayfish and lobster in the area, and the fact that they've really made it an art down there. A red and burghandy color scheme has always been part of the franchise's history (as well as white helmets and shoulder yokes), so that stays. I knew I wanted a fleur-de-lis somewhere in the package, just because it doesn't feel like Louisiana without the French culture. The primary I used is basically based off "fleur-de-fish" art seen here, here, here, and here. It seemed like a strong part of the city of New Orleans' culture, so I tried to incorperate it in the set. The primary is, in fact, my version of the fleur-de-fish, done stylistically. I used the "Claws" nickname in the secondary, accompanying an interlocking NO. The fonts and wordmarks are all custom here, as well.

I tried to be unique with the uniforms...the first thing I think of when I think of New Orleans sports is the fleur-de-lis and pinstripes, and I kept them both here.

claws_home.png

claws_away.png

claws_alternate.png

Four teams left, let me know what you think.

Archived