My (Personal) Football League Redesign

CJworks

I love the logos but I'd switch the logos to where the talon gripping the star would be primary (after all the name of the team is the "Talons").

I agree that the green needs to have some presence in the primary and road uniforms, because it does tend to come out of nowhere in the alternate.

7824_large.jpg

• Replies 881
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been away for a few days, and missed a lot.

On the Pirates, I like the concept behind the logo, but I think the execution needs a bit of work. Parts of it are done with jagged straight lines, while others have smooth curves. Basically, there's a disconnect between the head and the sword, and I honestly think the sword is making the logo suffer. It's a bit too jagged, and the handle is pretty poorly rendered. I think what would be best for this concept is to leave the crossed swords as an alternate logo on the jersey, but for the helmet just have the skull. If you went back and addressed a few areas on the skull, like the nose, cheeks, and eyes, I think you'd have a good helmet logo. Right now, it just feels really clunky. I do, however, love the Pirates' color scheme. Like others have said, I think you'd be better served to show off those colors more in the uniforms.

For the Talons, I have no complaints whatsoever about the logos. The bird head is very good, and the talon-star is superb. My suggestion here (as with the Pirates) is to work some more color into the uniforms. And, as others have mentioned, it looks like you may be starting to fall back into a routine when it comes to the uniforms designs, especially on the pants. Take your time and develop something unique and appropriate for each individual team.

HURRICANES | PANTHERS | WHITE SOX | WOLFPACK

the third jersey is definitely the best

Posted Yesterday, 22:00

the logo is very nice... but not sure about the third uniform. it seems like it came out of no where. it reminds me of the Seahawks uniforms. The first two were very conservative with the white gray and blue... then out of no where the green shows up with blue pants. It may work better, but there is nearly no green in the other 2 uniforms.

a silver jersey with blue pants might work as well.

Posted Yesterday, 22:14

I like the thirds, so much so that I think that it should be the home jersey rather than the one that has been done. The bright green makes it stand out. There are very few teams that wear green. The logo is pretty cool, it is certainly not what I expected. I was expecting a claw.

Limerick

First off, thanks for all the comments.

Well, it looks like I'm getting mixed feelings about the third uniform. Personally I like it (otherwise I wouldn't have made it). I do agree with Chuck and kbaker that I could have incorperate green into the home and aways better. I'll see what I can do with the upcoming update.

Posted Today, 01:22

I agree with the others who say that you need some green in the Talons road/home. Also the secondary logo is getting lost on the pants.

Jack, originally, I didn't have the start logo on the pants, but I added it cause I liked it so much. I'll work on moving it around some.

Posted Today, 02:01

I think its great what you are doing here with organizing a whole league. I used to do this all the time as a kid. spent my time making up identities and logos and jerseys for teams. having drafts with my brothers and friends and then trades (kind of fantasy football/basketball before its time) and making schedules, then going out in the backyard and playing the games. I had no idea others were/are doing the same thing. plus your teams are much better than mine were in many ways.

I think the pirates one would look better if the logo was flipped on the helmets as someone already mentioned but nice work overall. the talons one was also a surprise to me since i was expecting a claw and looking to see how much better your would be than the tulsa talons. the head still works as a primary but your secondary with the claw and star is very nice. i would like to see that logo on the sleeves over the head since its already on the helmet. nice creativity overall!

Haha that's awesome jaha! I also have basketball and baseball teams, aswell.

As for the Pirates, I was trying to go for a 'Vikings' affect. I liked the way they used the horn on the helmet and I tried to imitate it with the sword.

I've been away for a few days, and missed a lot.

On the Pirates, I like the concept behind the logo, but I think the execution needs a bit of work. Parts of it are done with jagged straight lines, while others have smooth curves. Basically, there's a disconnect between the head and the sword, and I honestly think the sword is making the logo suffer. It's a bit too jagged, and the handle is pretty poorly rendered. I think what would be best for this concept is to leave the crossed swords as an alternate logo on the jersey, but for the helmet just have the skull. If you went back and addressed a few areas on the skull, like the nose, cheeks, and eyes, I think you'd have a good helmet logo. Right now, it just feels really clunky. I do, however, love the Pirates' color scheme. Like others have said, I think you'd be better served to show off those colors more in the uniforms.

For the Talons, I have no complaints whatsoever about the logos. The bird head is very good, and the talon-star is superb. My suggestion here (as with the Pirates) is to work some more color into the uniforms. And, as others have mentioned, it looks like you may be starting to fall back into a routine when it comes to the uniforms designs, especially on the pants. Take your time and develop something unique and appropriate for each individual team.

Well, I was going for a 'rugged and aged' look for the Pirates. Reading this comment, I'm starting to get the feeling that I didn't execute it very well :P .

Thanks again for the commnets guys, updates will come later today

Your Talons logo looks a lot better... :D

As for the uniforms, they just don't seem quite right. You have done some good things, but the colors look like the Seahawks are wearing throwback helmets and pants with their modern electro green.

I also have noticed you are kind of conservative with the piping and stuff. You already recycled a pants design once. The design you used on these pants are...well...popular with people doing concepts.

Tons of people get that pants stripe idea from the Ravens and Titans b/c it makes so much sense (matches up with the helmet stripe)...and it is original and would look GREAT.

But, I've seen that pants design show up time and time again on these boards from people. Also, your jersey styles and clean and sharp looking. but dont be afraid to really mix things up. Try some outrageous designs for some.

Thanks for the feedback, Brave-Bird. I'll look into it.

Updated the Talons:

-dropped tha star from the pants; added to upper-back

-changed the inner color behind the NFL logo on the collar green for all but the alt.

-Fixed the small defects to the primary.

-fixed the 'N' in the script.

The primary, the one I had the most trouble on, is a white hawk on a blue outline, which turned out to be one of the sickest logos I've made on Inkscape. The secondary, one that I hope insn't controvercial, is the ol' Dallas star being gripped by the claws of a hawk, also very awesome :D .

I hate to rain on your back-patting parade, but let us do the praising. I can see from your signature and addressing every logo as "my best" or "my favorite" that you're a fan of your own work, but don't get cocky.

This concept, however, is easily the best one of the series. This, and the aztecs one, are both pretty good. Still, the first 6 or so concepts in the thread are pretty weak. Two things jump out at me.

First, all the logos look similar: not very intimidating animals with similar poses, expressions, line widths, etc. They all have pretty much the same style. Which, since you are the sole designer, is understandable, but it is avoidable. When you embark on a long league project such as this, it's easy to get stuck in a rut with similar looking elements. I think you've done a better job in mixing up the last 3 or so concepts. But when I look at the first 6 helmets in your signature, I can't help but notice the overall similarities. To counter this, just try experimenting with different design techniques.

Second, many of the secondary, lettermark logos are incredibly weak. Secondaries should not just consist of letters interacting in some way. This isn't baseball. Secondary logos provide a way to build off the primary in a clever manner. They always add something to expand the overall brand, because the secondary is often used on merchandise and small mediums where the primary would not be appropriate. Many of your secondaries seem to be weak and bland compared to the primaries. Some are good, like the knights, that's a good expansion of the primary. But cleveland and san diego both have really weak secondaries. Speaking of cleveland, that script needs a lot of work, it's messy.

Overall the way to solve these problems is just take your time and make sure every concept is independent of one another. You've been doing a better job of that lately. Also, ask yourself before you decide you are done: "is this really the most complete and well thought-out concept?" I'd much rather see you take your time and work up some decent secondaries and wordmarks than just keep spitting out these concepts. Let's see, you've posted 9 concepts in a little less than 2 weeks, and these are completely original logos....that seems like you aren't taking your time to me. I'm not trying to compare but I've been working on one MLB concept that entire time, just to give you an idea of how long some concepts take, especially when they fall into the "rebrand" or "completely original" category.

You've obviously got loads of creativity and it looks like you are just starting to really get into making logos, and you've done an admirable job so far, but just take your time on these concepts and the improved product will reflect the effort.

I understand ya, elliot. I get excited about my own work sometimes, primarily because of the fact that I haven't made my work look so clean before.

First of all, thanks for the comments as a whole. I can see how they could be similar, and I could go back on those and work with them a little. This is my first concept on Inkscape and pretty much designing as a whole, and this is entirely a learning process for me.

The secondaries are pretty weak, and I caught on with the past few and put more thought into them. I was simply tracing the logos that I had already made on paper with Inkscape, that's the reason they didn't take as long. The teams towards the bottom are teams I don't have logos for, so those will take some time.

I will eventually go back and rethink some of the concepts that I fit aren't grade-A for my potential after these next few updates, primarily some primaries, secondaries, and scripts. I appreciate the feedback, and if you wouldn't have pointed it out for me I probably would've caught on to these not-so-good trends.

I hate to rain on your back-patting parade, but let us do the praising. I can see from your signature and addressing every logo as "my best" or "my favorite" that you're a fan of your own work, but don't get cocky.

I could tell who wrote this even if there was no username attached. Classic elliott ^_^

CJ, I haven't checked in in a while but I can see you are really getting the hang of Inkscape - I love to see creative barriers taken down! Congrats, this is pretty great stuff. I agree with elliott's analysis but for basically your first series I wouldn't worry about it, practice will improve you greatly, and it even already has.

One thing you might want to watch out for is it looks like there is white residue from you masking logos onto helmets and jerseys. It doesn't appear with the latest one, but with any other post in this series where there is an image of the helmet or jersey or both, and click Reply. Don't change anything, and preview it so you can see it against the green quoted background. You will see what I mean. (They will look like this, with white almost arch-like shapes) I'm not sure exactly what is causing this but I'm sure it is something to do with your masks. I hope the absence of this stuff on the Dallas concept means you have figured it out (and if it was mentioned earlier in the thread, I'm sorry, I haven't read it all), but just in case I thought I would let you know.

Keep it up, you are on the right track for sure!

Yea I saw that too. I think it has something todo with the backgrounds of the inserted images or what not. I figured it out anyways, so that problem should be solved.

Currently I'm working on refining some of my logos and taking the comments and suggestions into consideration more, if anyone's wondering. So no, the thread is not dead. :D

I dont have much to say right now, maybe later Ill go through and give more CC. But I just have to say This is AWESOME you are doing this. I love that Talons logo. You were really creative as a kid, and its awesome you are using that later in life and expanding on your ideas. And its really evident how much better you get each time you release a logo. They keep getting better and better.

Amazing job dude

New Orelans Spirits

New Orleans Phoenixes

New Orleans Neptunes

Detroit Mustangs

Detroit Firebirds

Detroit Spirits (assuming you don't use Spirits for New Orleans... google "Spirit of Detroit" for the namesake statue)

Milwaukee Outlaws (Harley/Biker theme)

Milwaukee Breakers

Milwaukee Muskies

Milwaukee Icemen

New York Nighthawks

New York Gothams

New York Bombers (only works if team is in The Bronx)

Tennessee Blues

Tennessee Kings (I'd prefer an identity that could refer to BB King as much as Elvis)

Tennessee Jammers

I'm really enjoying this series BTW

New Orleans Gators (Alligators are commonly found in the swamps of Louisiana; also, the American Alligator is the state reptile of Louisiana)

New Orleans Pelicans (the Brown Pelican is the state bird of Louisiana)

New Orleans Mudbugs (the Mudbug, or Crawfish, is the state crustacean of Louisiana)

New Orleans Roughnecks (reference to the city's strong ties to the oil production industry)

New Orleans Drillers (another reference to the city's strong ties to the oil production industry)

Detroit Mustangs (named after the Ford Mustang sports car)

Detroit Fury (named after former Arena Football team)

Detroit Drive (named after former Arena Football team; also references the city's long history as a major center of the automobile industry)

Milwaukee Wild Hogs (refers to the Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Company, whose headquarters is located in Milwaukee)

Milwaukee Cruisers (another reference to Harley-Davidson)

Milwaukee Explorers (city was founded in 1818 by three explorers -- Solomon Juneau, Byron Kilbourn, and George H. Walker)

New York Americans (named after a former NHL team of the same name)

New York Empire/Emperors (the state of New York is often referred to as "The Emipre State")

New York Shamrocks/Irishmen (New York City has a large Irish American community)

New York Dutchmen (New York City was founded by the Dutch in 1624 as New Amsterdam)

Tennessee Hornets (the Honeybee is one of the state insects of Tennessee)

YOZXkBG.png?1

**UPDATE**

So, I've spent this last week tampering with these logos and trying to take them to the next level. I've updated the Sharks and Bandits so far, more to come:

New Sharks primary // New Sharks secondary // New Sharks script // New Sharks Helmet // New Sharks homes // New Sharks aways // New Sharks Alts

New Bandits primary // New Bandits script // New Bandits helmet // New Bandits home // New Bandits away // New Bandits alt.

UNBELIEVABLE improvement on the logos and scripts! Both the scripts went from 'meh' to 'damn!' quickly

sigpurp.png

---Owner of the NHA's Philadelphia Quakers, the UBA's Chicago Skyliners, and the CFA's Portland Beavers (2010 CFA2 Champions)---

Both updates are major improvements. I especially like the new shark logo. Much fiercer. I also really like the new colors on the Bandits. A while back, I actually did a football concept for a team nicknamed the Bandits and used black, orange, and gold. Great minds, eh?

HURRICANES | PANTHERS | WHITE SOX | WOLFPACK

Archived