"Thumbs Up To Thunder Unis"

rockngoalie1

Being a Sonic fan I will always hate anything OKC does but their unis are especially horrible. The early leak of the Oklahoma Barons was a FAR superior name and uniform. But again, as a Sonic fan, I'm glad they didn't do the Barons thing as that would have hurt even worse to see them in a good uni with a good name. Now at least I can be happy that they have one of the worst looks/names in pro sports.

Barons.jpg

OOF! Those are equally as bad if not more. Looks like something you'd see if instead of the Harlem Globetrotters visiting Gilligan's Island they stopped by the Wild Wild West for a basketball shootout. Horrible.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I started a topic about their unis a few weeks ago and got laughed at. I feel the same way as some do here that the home unis look great even with all the colors and I would'nt change a thing on them they are very unique. The roads do have a few problems one being they do look similar to the Knicks and the other is the font is cluttered atop the numbers. I'm sure in a year or 2 we will see an alt. or a new jersey that fixes these things maybe something similar to what the Hawks have with ATL only it would read OKC.It seems that is what everybody refers to them as on NBA TV, ESPN or TNT.

I wish the Hornets stayed in Oklahoma City and switched to wearing black and yellow, but then we'd have been robbed of the New Orleans Hornets package that everyone loves except me.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

They really aren't bad at all.

"Thunder" is an awful name, and the "Oklahoma City" on the road uniform could be cleaned up a bit, but other that that I like them. Perfect shade of blue.

The Thunder are actually quite good this year, and may make the playoffs. If the playoffs started today, they'd be the eighth seed in the West. If they played in the East, they'd probably be the fifth seed or higher.

I wish the Hornets stayed in Oklahoma City and switched to wearing black and yellow, but then we'd have been robbed of the New Orleans Hornets package that everyone loves except me.

The Hornets were never in Oklahoma City, they were based in Charlotte. (Unless you mean during the '05 season when the Hornets temporarily played a few games in OKC and San Antonio, IIRC, due to damage from Hurricane Katrina.)

The Hornets were never in Oklahoma City, they were based in Charlotte. (Unless you mean during the '05 season when the Hornets temporarily played a few games in OKC and San Antonio, IIRC, due to damage from Hurricane Katrina.)

The Hornets moved a bulk of their operations to Oklahoma City in the aftermath of Katrina and for two seasons played most of their home games in the Ford Center, with a limited number of games in New Orleans once the arena there was repaired (as well as a couple at the PMAC in Baton Rouge and the Lloyd Noble Center in Norman). There were no home games in San Antonio, you're probably thinking of the Saints.

As for the Thunder uniforms, I like the home whites but agree with those that dislike the wordmark treatment on the road blues. I'd prefer placing the "City" below the numbers as it was on the OKC alternate uniform worn by the NO/OKC Hornets.

131804706_4b3d5caf36_o.jpg

i think they can balance the 5 colors as long as they limit it to 4 per uniform. They can have 3 of the 4 colors carry over with the 4th being 1 of the 2 remaining colors.

It comes down to the font they choose, and the design of the stripes. if it is done tastefully, it can really look nice.

_CLEVELANDTHATILOVEIndians.jpg

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

Uh no.

The Hornets were officially called the New Orleans/Oklahoma City Hornets for the 2005-2006 and 2006-2007 seasons. They played 36 home games in OKC in 2005-2006, and 35 in 2006-2007. Hardly a few games.

Uh no.

The Hornets were officially called the New Orleans/Oklahoma City Hornets for the 2005-2006 and 2006-2007 seasons. They played 36 home games in OKC in 2005-2006, and 35 in 2006-2007. Hardly a few games.

Supposedly they would have stayed in OKC but the league thought it would be a public relations nightmare to pick up and leave town so they urged the team ownership to stay and even made the committment publicly to return. I remember reading various rumors that the Saints were thinking of bolting to LA because they couldn't get a new stadium deal in Louisiana and would have used Katrina as a way out. Not sure how true those rumors were but either way I think in the grand scheme of things its good that both teams stayed.

Don't be surprised if the Saints still end up in L.A. As great as things are for them in NOLA now, we here in Seattle are all too familiar with how quickly things can change. All it takes is the Commish to decree it and no amount of support from NOLA will matter.

And yes, the Hornets should still be in OKC and the Sonics in Seattle. Would have been a lot better for the NBA.

Don't be surprised if the Saints still end up in L.A. As great as things are for them in NOLA now, we here in Seattle are all too familiar with how quickly things can change. All it takes is the Commish to decree it and no amount of support from NOLA will matter.

And yes, the Hornets should still be in OKC and the Sonics in Seattle. Would have been a lot better for the NBA.

Not to throw stones at the proverbial hornet's nest (no pun intended), but wasn't the issue with Seattle that they had an outdated arena that the city and state didn't want to put money towards and that their new owner wanted to move them? Besides, it takes much more than the commissioner saying, "Let's relocate this team," for a team to move.

Besides, comparing Seattle and New Orleans is like apples and oranges. The Sonics were playing in the outdated Key Arena and the city and state (and the taxpayers) refused to pay for the necessary upgrades, IIRC. In the case of the Hornets, they had to temporarily relocate because their city was nearly destroyed by a hurricane, which is far from being their own fault. Besides, the agreement was always that they would return to New Orleans as soon as that became a viable option. Now, they and the Saints are playing in state of the art facilities. Saying that the Saints might end up moving is completely illogical, considering that in addition to a rebuilt Superdome they now have a very loyal, very large fanbase. The Hornets are a different story as far as money is concerned, but they aren't in nearly the same situation as the Sonics were.

Engine, Engine, Number Nine, on the New York transit line,

If my train goes off the track, pick it up! Pick it up! Pick it up!

Back on the scene, crispy and clean,

You can try, but then why, 'cause you can't intervene.

We be the outcast, down for the settle. Won't play the rock, won't play the pebble.

Not to throw stones at the proverbial hornet's nest (no pun intended), but wasn't the issue with Seattle that they had an outdated arena that the city and state didn't want to put money towards and that their new owner wanted to move them? Besides, it takes much more than the commissioner saying, "Let's relocate this team," for a team to move.

Besides, comparing Seattle and New Orleans is like apples and oranges. The Sonics were playing in the outdated Key Arena and the city and state (and the taxpayers) refused to pay for the necessary upgrades, IIRC. In the case of the Hornets, they had to temporarily relocate because their city was nearly destroyed by a hurricane, which is far from being their own fault. Besides, the agreement was always that they would return to New Orleans as soon as that became a viable option. Now, they and the Saints are playing in state of the art facilities. Saying that the Saints might end up moving is completely illogical, considering that in addition to a rebuilt Superdome they now have a very loyal, very large fanbase. The Hornets are a different story as far as money is concerned, but they aren't in nearly the same situation as the Sonics were.

Your post was pretty much on point, but the bolded portion doesn't mean jack and never will (and that goes for any team).

No, but a recently signed long-term contract that keeps them here through 2025, a sold-out stadium with 30,000+ on the season-ticket waiting list, an owner that does not want to sell and has a transition plan underway that delivers the franchise to his granddaughter w/out estate taxes, an owner who just got a major rehab/upgrade of his stadium over the next few years, and an owner who bought the local FOX affiliate (that carries 14 out of 16 of his team's regular season games)DO matter. And are all in place. The Saints are in no danger of ending up in L.A. Sorry to bust your potential for schadenfreude.

Why should the Hornets still be in OKC? Because then the Sonics owner wouldn't have sold the team to someone and have them move? That would not have happened. Had it not been an OKC owner who bought the team, the Sonics would either be the Kansas City Tornadoes or maybe the Las Vegas Aces by now, or on their way to becoming so.

Correct, and well put, Koizim.

It is what it is.

I think the whole Katrina mess really did prove that Oklahoma City deserved a NBA team. They really stepped up and supported the Hornets when they new the team was leaving in a season or two. So I'm glad to see that they finally got a team in the form of the Thunder, a team that, by the way, is very much on the way up.

In a perfect world OKC could have gotten a team without robbing Seattle of the Sonics, but hey, that's how it works sometimes. Just like it was with the Jets, Nords, and Whalers in the NHL, it was a shame to lose the Sonics, but really the blame for all four moving falls on the cities for failing to provide adequate facilities.

Oh yeah, subpar logo aside, I love the Thunder's uniform set :D

There are a lot of untruths being lobbied around, many perpetuated by false NBA and Thunder ownership reports but here is what we know:

The Sonics had a long storied history, plenty of major corporate sponsorship in the region, huge very loyal fan base and an arena that IS second to none in terms of actual fan/viewing experience (Stern himself said so).

The fact that the team was stolen from the region should be a warning to fans everywhere that it doesn't matter how much history or how much support a team has, they can be taken on a whim and a vendetta. Very sad and oh too true.

OK, that sounds like more of a conspiracy theory based on the fact that you are very emotional over the loss of your team (as you should be). But saying that a multi-billion dollar sports league forged legal documents in a lawsuit with a major metropolitan city is just silly. Also, I'd love to anyone (who isn't a Sonics fan) who would say that Key Arena stacks up to the NBA's newer arenas. Face facts: the Sonics moved because Seattle was too damn cheap to build them a new arena, but now that they're gone, many fans are blaming the NBA.

Engine, Engine, Number Nine, on the New York transit line,

If my train goes off the track, pick it up! Pick it up! Pick it up!

Back on the scene, crispy and clean,

You can try, but then why, 'cause you can't intervene.

We be the outcast, down for the settle. Won't play the rock, won't play the pebble.

OK, that sounds like more of a conspiracy theory based on the fact that you are very emotional over the loss of your team (as you should be). But saying that a multi-billion dollar sports league forged legal documents in a lawsuit with a major metropolitan city is just silly. Also, I'd love to anyone (who isn't a Sonics fan) who would say that Key Arena stacks up to the NBA's newer arenas. Face facts: the Sonics moved because Seattle was too damn cheap to build them a new arena, but now that they're gone, many fans are blaming the NBA.

No, not that crazy of a conspiracy theory (even though I love a good conspiracy). A more realistic one where Stern felt slighted and made it VERY easy for the new owners to (1) buy the team, and (2) move the team. Telling other league owners to they "should" go along with it even though leaving Seattle for OKC made no business sense for the league whatsoever. If not for his personal feelings, a good leader would have stepped in and orchestrated the purchase by one of the other local buyers that were interested instead of a group that was certain to move the team.

And the Key Arena IS a top viewing venue... perfect sight lines, close to the action, even the highest nose bleed seat is great. The main problem was that the team didn't get to cash in on parking and concession revenue (all very fixable). That is why the city didn't want to build a new arena, the existing one was and still is perfect for viewing a game.

This.

I get that you're upset hawk, but if the Key Arena is fine as is why would the NBA force the move? Seattle is a larger market then Oklahoma City. So why would the NBA trade the former for the latter unless they had to (an out-of-date arena for example)?

I'm sorry, but generally speaking I don't put much stock in conspiracy theories, and from you it seems like Seattle is the single most screwed over city in pro sports history. First Super Bowl XL, now this. What's next, that MLB rigged the 2001 ALCS?

This.

I get that you're upset hawk, but if the Key Arena is fine as is why would the NBA force the move? Seattle is a larger market then Oklahoma City. So why would the NBA trade the former for the latter unless they had to (an out-of-date arena for example)?

I'm sorry, but generally speaking I don't put much stock in conspiracy theories, and from you it seems like Seattle is the single most screwed over team in pro sports history. First Super Bowl XL, now this. What's next, that MLB rigged the 2001 ALCS?

Not the single most but right up there with the Baltimore Colts and original Cleveland Browns. And, you said it, the Seattle market is much more desirable than OKC. Makes no sense why all the league owners, save for Paul Allen, voted for the sale and the move. Simple, they were told to by Stern. Plain and simple.

Archived