Portland Cardinals

chickenfish13

Hey guys. So, I got Illustrator for christmas, and have finally done a concept I feel like I can share. It started out in Illustrator, and I finished it off in inkscape.

it's just a random basketball concept ( following what Jaha's doing :P ) for a team called the Portland Cardinals.

I'm not sure I have much to say for it, except I'm not sure about the arrangement, and I wanted to use a bit different of a color scheme. So, let me know what you think.

portlandcardinals.png

Just wondering... Do you mean Portland, OR or Portland, MA?

It's good for an early attempt, although the profile of the cardinal looks quite similar to St. Louis's redbirds. I also think the basketball should be made more prominent, as it's a bit small as it is now. One thing you might want to consider is putting "Portland" above Cardinals, as right now it kind of reads as "Cardinals Portland," which doesn't really make much sense.

Just wondering... Do you mean Portland, OR or Portland, MA?

It's good for an early attempt, although the profile of the cardinal looks quite similar to St. Louis's redbirds. I also think the basketball should be made more prominent, as it's a bit small as it is now. One thing you might want to consider is putting "Portland" above Cardinals, as right now it kind of reads as "Cardinals Portland," which doesn't really make much sense.

i dont think that you have to switch the names around. having the city name under the nickname is done all the time and everyone would know which order to say it in. that being said, there isnt enought contrast between the dark red on black and the highights on the ball and the teal one ont the neak dont really work as it is. i know it will improve though

to me, its not that the colors wont work, it's just the way you have it set up where the dark red touches the black with no barrier that makes it hard to see although it might not hurt to lighten up that red a little anyways. also, as far as the words placement, before i said theres nothing wrong with having the city below the name, but here i change my mind since the C and S in cardinals are bigger, theres a nice slot for the city to be placed in between. not a big deal, just an idea

I think I liked it better when the bird head was connected to the wordmark. I do like the removal of the ball. you could still separate the bird head alone in a partial logo. I like the new colors much better. The beak could be more pointy...well not the beak itself, but the two outlines around the end are curved and you should pointen them. It will also make the beak appear longer. the eye could be meaner. it does look mean but it could look meaner by having the top of the eye concave rather than convex and bent downward.

two other small observations about outlines. the black around your words is a solid shape with no indents or anythings except one spot below the P and O in Portland. You should get rid of that or make the rest of the wordmark outline follow the same indenting. Also, on the yellow outline in that same corner on the bottom left of the C it follows a straight line on the bottom which is fine and good, but then as it curves upward around the bottom left of the see it has a small jag. that should be taken out. Thats not your fault just the type of things you need to keep an eye out for in Illustrator, now that you mentioned you just got it, especially when using that outline method. but yea have fun with illustrator I love it

I think it's a really good start, but you need to look at two issues in particular. First, the outlines. jaha mentioned this, especially about the type. Also, if you're using Illustrator's outline stroke command to do the outlines on the bird, you really need to go back afterward and tweak all the sharp angles, because you've got some points on the outline that don't match the shapes on the image, notably the back of the head (which seems too sharp) and the beak (which doesn't seem sharp enough).

Secondly, I think you need some well-placed highlights (or shadows). Right now, you have one highlight on the beak. But that one seems very arbitrary, like it's just been pasted on top. Think about the shape of the beak and the head, and where highlights and shadows would fall. I think some well-placed details would help make this logo seem less flat.

Keep working at it.

HURRICANES | PANTHERS | WHITE SOX | WOLFPACK

I've actually only based my cardinal off of real pictures of cardinals... sometime I look at other logos, which isn't the best as sometimes it looks like mine is too much like theirs. I honestly can say I only looked at real pics... but it does kind of look like it I guess... his is much better, and like the most known logo around the web :P

nice updates on the highlighting. i wasnt understanding the previous beak highlights. you are really taking people's advice and bettering your logos becaue of it. the outlines seems a bit better as well. if youre still looking for nit picky feedback, i'd say the I and N are too close to eachother. i dont know why when you typed that font it didnt space them better but i'd move them to make more space similar to the other letters. but the updates are much better

Archived