Thrift Store Gems '10

Don

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've got another one, no pictures yet:

A 2006 Team Canada white jersey

Crested "Craig" 06 with a "U" instead of an "A" and a very nice looking patch for a wedding party.

All the cresting is sewn on (no adhesive, I'm torn on keeping the patches) and looking top notch. The wedding patch is fully embroidered. It must have cost them a fortune to get a full set for the wedding party. Mine for $10

Found a sweet Toffs 1976 Manchester City shirt in my local Oxfam (British charity shop chain) yesterday for £6. It's a little too big for me, but a nice find nonetheless. I'd been after one of those for a while.

Heading down to London next week, ostensibly to check out my favourite vintage clothes shop. They always have a ton of sports jerseys & apparel in, I'm hoping for a good haul.

I went to the National Sports Collectors Convention in Baltimore yesterday. I got some pretty good deals:

Blanks Chicago Cubs Road jersey for $15

Baltimore Colts pennant for $5

1997 Ken Griffey Jr. pennant for $2.50

Big Daddy V autograph for $5 (for my brother who is a big wrestling fan)

It was a really cool event and they had tons of cool stuff. I thought it would mostly be crazy expensive stuff (there was a guitar signed by Paris Hilton for $200), but there was also alot of cool little things. Next year's show is in Chicago, I would highly recommend this event to anyone in that area.

I bought the Cubs jersey from a guy based in New Jersey. He had alot of good deals (mostly baseball jerseys, but some other stuff). He gave me his card, so I may post his info if anyone in that area is interested. I'll definitly check him out if I ever go to New Jersey.

Really? Back in the '90s, I'll grant you that they drafted well, and most of that homegrown talent you're bragging about is from that era. But now, the Yankees' attitude is strictly "we've got a hole at x position? Well, we'd better buy up the best player in the league at that position right now, or make a bogus trade to get him." Then they wonder why there seems to be chemistry problems every year and they don't win championships as often as they used to. You can put together all the biggest stars on one team, but that doesn't guarantee team chemistry.

* 65 Phil Hughes

* 40 Dustin Moseley

* 62 Joba Chamberlain

* 29 Francisco Cervelli

* 20 Jorge Posada

* 24 Robinson Canó

* 2 Derek Jeter

* 19 Ramiro Peña

* 11 Brett Gardner

* 38 Marcus Thames

* 64 Andrew Brackman

* 68 Wilkin De La Rosa

* 46 Andy Pettitte

* 74 Héctor Noesi

* 41 Iván Nova

* 76 Reegie Corona

* 53 Juan Miranda

* 94 Eduardo Núñez

* 27 Colin Curtis

* 22 Chad Huffman

* 26 Kevin Russo

* 91 Alfredo Aceves

* 36 Nick Johnson

23 players, all home grown, only four of whom are holdovers from the 90's championship era

Ahh you're killin me dude. As a Yankee fan I have to hide my face with this defense. I don't disagree with you one bit, considering most of our significant players are home-grown. But Mosely just joined the organization this year prior to spring training, Huffman was claimed off waivers from San Diego early in the season, and Alfredo was signed out of the Mexican league. Some of the guys you named aren't even on the 40 man roster, and in all fairness shouldn't be used in this debate. You know how many prospects I can recall off the top of my head from the last 10 or so years who were supposed to be can't-miss stars? They have to prove it before you consider them the pride of your player development program.

I live in Calgary, AB... At the local Value Village, hey have started separating the jerseys from the other athletic wear. On the jersey rack (the only rack I shop) Iwas able to purchase NFL Authentic Alternate jerseys of the Saints (Bush 25) and Dallas Cowboys (Romo 9)... New with tags. And A slightly used "1991 Mitchell & Ness" Favre Falcons jersey... It was 6.99 for the Favre. 10 bucks for Bush and 8 bucks for Romo. (Canadian Money) But, if it were a ratty old NHL hockey jersey in 4 pieces barely fitting on the rack... That'll be 70 dollars.

Pictures to follow...

Commissioner, V League

http://vleague.vetsson.net

Damn!

Save the good deals for me I'll be at that AJ-Wright on the 20th.

That was the only Devil Rays hat I saw, but there were also a couple Rockies hats with the World Series logo on the side. One hat was purple and a couple others were black.

Bloodhound.gif

felix_thinking_zps5e4863e9.gif?t=1380931

Not that it matters at the price, but just wondering, are most of these finds in good shape? No stains, tears, or anything? Not smelly?

Maybe I need to start checking around my area, although I doubt I'll find any Pittsburgh stuff here in Tampa.

2ly2w09.jpg

* 65 Phil Hughes

* 40 Dustin Moseley

* 62 Joba Chamberlain

* 29 Francisco Cervelli

* 20 Jorge Posada

* 24 Robinson Canó

* 2 Derek Jeter

* 19 Ramiro Peña

* 11 Brett Gardner

* 38 Marcus Thames

* 64 Andrew Brackman

* 68 Wilkin De La Rosa

* 46 Andy Pettitte

* 74 Héctor Noesi

* 41 Iván Nova

* 76 Reegie Corona

* 53 Juan Miranda

* 94 Eduardo Núñez

* 27 Colin Curtis

* 22 Chad Huffman

* 26 Kevin Russo

* 91 Alfredo Aceves

* 36 Nick Johnson

23 players, all home grown, only four of whom are holdovers from the 90's championship era

By home grown, do you mean they harvested these players from a steroid farm in the Bronx?

So instead of sending this to Eritrea or Ethiopia, they are now going to Flint, MI? Wow! I knew this recession was hitting Michigan particularly hard, but I had no idea that it was THAT bad.

Umm, go get the film "Roger & Me," then also view some of Michael Moore's other documentaries. Flint is a running theme throughout.

Not that it matters at the price, but just wondering, are most of these finds in good shape? No stains, tears, or anything? Not smelly?

Maybe I need to start checking around my area, although I doubt I'll find any Pittsburgh stuff here in Tampa.

The ones I buy are in very good shape. There may be a stain here and there, but they come out in the wash.

Bloodhound.gif

felix_thinking_zps5e4863e9.gif?t=1380931

Archived