Thrift Store Gems '10

Don

Long-time lurker, first-time poster, here- and I figured this was as good of a way as any to jump in to the conversation.

I stumbled onto this jersey at a Seattle Goodwill store this week. It appears to be a teal version of the Mariners' 1997-2000 sleeveless alternate jersey.

5006925733_6e4925f08a_o.jpg

The only catch, of course, is that the Mariners never wore such a jersey. At first, I thought perhaps someone had lopped off the sleeves on their "out-of-date" alternate jersey after 1996 to emulate the newer style. But upon closer inspection, the hems on the arm holes match the rest of the factory stitching. Additionally, the back of the base of the neck features the Russell logo; Russell vest-style jerseys of this era featured the manufacturer's logo there, rather than on the sleeve, before the MLB logo took up residence there in 2000. I realize that the Mariners wore road jerseys in 1998 that they themselves altered into vests that did not include the Russell logo in this spot- I'm fortunate enough to own one of those, in fact- but everything I'm seeing points to this jersey being originally manufactured this way. Including the authentic Diamond Collection tagging.

So, I'm wondering what I've got here. Is it a salesmen's sample? A prototype that bridges the gap between the Mariners' 1996 and 1997 alternate jerseys? I'm not sure. In any case, it seems like it was worth the $4.99 price tag.

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Definitely not a fashion jersey - it's got Diamond Collection tagging on it.

Looks like you got yourself a prototype, and a steal.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

• 2 weeks later...

The best place to buy used stuff cheap is the Salvation Army or the Disabilities Thrift shop. I usually buy items either to wear or to hang in the downstairs sports room. Most of the t-shirts & jerseys below were only $1.50 each (yep, $1.50, and still are if you can find them). If you really look, or get lucky, you can find some rare stuff, like the Giants Parcell style sweater or the Rodman/Smits jerseys. I lucked out by living right around the block from an SA in SC, so I went in there often. Most of these were found in the last few years, but I've got so many others I have to change them out periodically.

5073275683_b801a55a22_z.jpg

5073276361_6509c6f90e_z.jpg

Goodwill is OK, but they're overpriced for their used stuff.

FYI, I'm glad to show the stuff, but they're not for sale :D

Went to Savers yesterday, found and bought a Cal Ripken Baltimore Orioles Jersey, Baron Davis Clippers Jersey, and a Tomas Kaberle LA Kings Jersey, all for $11 dollars, I say I got a great deal, will post pictures later

I've been striking out a lot recently, although I did find a Hakeem Olajuwon jersey that was too big for me the other day. I wish the nearest AJ Wright wasn't so far west of where I am, or else I'd head out there a lot more often.

330zl3b.png

The best place to buy used stuff cheap is the Salvation Army or the Disabilities Thrift shop. I usually buy items either to wear or to hang in the downstairs sports room. Most of the t-shirts & jerseys below were only $1.50 each (yep, $1.50, and still are if you can find them). If you really look, or get lucky, you can find some rare stuff, like the Giants Parcell style sweater or the Rodman/Smits jerseys. I lucked out by living right around the block from an SA in SC, so I went in there often. Most of these were found in the last few years, but I've got so many others I have to change them out periodically.

5073275683_b801a55a22_z.jpg

5073276361_6509c6f90e_z.jpg

Goodwill is OK, but they're overpriced for their used stuff.

FYI, I'm glad to show the stuff, but they're not for sale :D

Was that Titans shirt already autographed when you picked it up!?!?

Insane collection. Love the English Nuggets jersey.

I'm ashamed a Dana Stubblefield Redskins jersey was ever even made. He was our original Haynesworth.

87Redskins.png

Was that Titans shirt already autographed when you picked it up!?!?

Yes it was (#31 Marcus Robertson). Over the years I've had a little luck with autographed stuff, but it's hard to find. My favorite find was in a SA just outside of Myrtle Beach. I dropped by for 15 minutes on the way from the beach, picked up an old Johnny Bench autobiography, and on the second page was his autograph. I've also found some NASCAR signed stuff, as well as some more obscure non-sports stuff.

I picked this Burnley FC jersey up at my local thrift store last week. I've heard of Burnley FC, just never seen there kits before. To my suprise I found that it's an away kit from 1994/1995. I just can't find who wore #4.

Does anyone know who wore #4 or know of any resources where I could find out who wore this jersey?

burnley_FRONT.jpgburnley_BACK.jpg

You didn't get a Thomas Kaberle Kings jersey. :D

Frankie!

I was gonna say...that's a Frank Kaberle jersey. He came to the Thrashers in a trade with Donald Audette in their expansion season.

Ahh, the memories of the "Double Consanant" line, the first real scoring line for the Thrashers: Andrew Brunette-Ray Ferraro-Donald Audette...

I picked this Burnley FC jersey up at my local thrift store last week. I've heard of Burnley FC, just never seen there kits before. To my suprise I found that it's an away kit from 1994/1995. I just can't find who wore #4.

Does anyone know who wore #4 or know of any resources where I could find out who wore this jersey?

burnley_FRONT.jpgburnley_BACK.jpg

A chap by the name of Steve Davis. Not to be confused with the Steve Davis who also played for Burnley until 1991.

Archived