Thrift Store Gems '10

Don

If any of you are near Chicago, the AJ Wright in Olympia Fields had aunthentic Cubs (Ronnie Cedeno) and White Sox (Konerko and Thome) jerseys. I do mean authentic too. Normal sizes as well. There were a few from size 44 - 52. I'm not a White Sox fan and don't need anothe Cubs jersey, but at $25, I ALMOST picked a few up.

Hopefully some of you can benefit from my find though!

Rob

Do you mean the one at US 30 & Governors Highway? I am headed down that way Saturday...

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If any of you are near Chicago, the AJ Wright in Olympia Fields had aunthentic Cubs (Ronnie Cedeno) and White Sox (Konerko and Thome) jerseys. I do mean authentic too. Normal sizes as well. There were a few from size 44 - 52. I'm not a White Sox fan and don't need anothe Cubs jersey, but at $25, I ALMOST picked a few up.

Rob

Do you mean the one at US 30 & Governors Highway? I am headed down that way Saturday...

That sounds roughly correct. I am not super familiar with the area, but that's the only one down there. Overall the selection was crappy, but the jerseys were sweet. I've found some great things there - I picked up a Blackhawks jacket and a North Stars sweatshirt; both Mitchell and Ness. They also had a Canadiens 1986 Stanley Cup t-shirt (in French no less) that I got for both my brother and myself. For some reason, that is the only "good" AJ Wright I've been to.

Rob

Rob

That sounds roughly correct. I am not super familiar with the area, but that's the only one down there. Overall the selection was crappy, but the jerseys were sweet. I've found some great things there - I picked up a Blackhawks jacket and a North Stars sweatshirt; both Mitchell and Ness. They also had a Canadiens 1986 Stanley Cup t-shirt (in French no less) that I got for both my brother and myself. For some reason, that is the only "good" AJ Wright I've been to.

Rob

The one on Fullerton waaaaay out west around Harlem has had some good stuff in the past. I got the Rex Grossman alt jersey that I'm wearing right now from there, plus they had some other assorted NFL jerseys (Raiders, Bengals, Colts, and Cowboys).

The TJ Maxx and Marshalls around Belmont and Clark are selling authentic Chicago Fire jerseys for $40 ($50 for a long sleeve) as well as replicas for $30. TJ Maxx also had a couple of Columbus Crew unis.

330zl3b.png

Found this at a Salvation Army in Manassas, VA for $3. Does anyone have insight on what year it is? Player? Etc? I've looked online for info, but can't seem to find anything. The screen printing on it is that very heavy type that was commonly used by NFL teams back in the 1980's/early 90's.

Craig Heyward maybe? He played for Pitt in the late 80's, but I don't know what his number was. He was #34 in the NFL, but I can't find any pictures that show his number at Pitt.

Heyward was 34 at Pitt as well, as far as I know.

-Hayward was 34 at Pitt for sure:

-The jersey appears to be pretty close to the ones in the video (1987) with the only difference being the PITT logo on the sleeves, and the shoulder numbers.

AU-USU-Scoreboard.gif

This jersey isn’t from a thrift store but is a gem none the less! Early last month my fiancé was shopping for a Valentines gift for me at Dick’s Sporting Goods. She noticed this jersey on the end of a t-shirt rack that was clearly out of place. She looked over the jersey for a price tag when an older salesman came up and asked her if she needed help. She said she was curious about the price of this Twins jersey. He explained that the jersey shouldn’t have been out on the floor because he didn’t know where it came from there for didn’t know how to price it. He even told her it wasn’t even a real Twins jersey. With the jersey knowledge I have taught her she new this was an authentic jersey. She offered the salesman $20 for the jersey thinking he would say no. But to her surprise he said yes! After getting approval from the store manager he walked her up to the check out counter and gave her the jersey for $20!!! That’s a $175 jersey for $20!!!!

For Valentine’s Day I received a new Under Armour gym bag and a brand new Minnesota Twins Authentic road jersey (even with the 50th Anniversary patch and new Twins primary logo patch sewn on)!!! I went back that day to see if they had any left, but that was it.

minnesota.jpg

This jersey isn?t from a thrift store but is a gem none the less! Early last month my fiancé was shopping for a Valentines gift for me at Dick?s Sporting Goods. She noticed this jersey on the end of a t-shirt rack that was clearly out of place. She looked over the jersey for a price tag when an older salesman came up and asked her if she needed help. She said she was curious about the price of this Twins jersey. He explained that the jersey shouldn?t have been out on the floor because he didn?t know where it came from there for didn?t know how to price it. He even told her it wasn?t even a real Twins jersey. With the jersey knowledge I have taught her she new this was an authentic jersey. She offered the salesman $20 for the jersey thinking he would say no. But to her surprise he said yes! After getting approval from the store manager he walked her up to the check out counter and gave her the jersey for $20!!! That?s a $175 jersey for $20!!!!

For Valentine?s Day I received a new Under Armour gym bag and a brand new Minnesota Twins Authentic road jersey (even with the 50th Anniversary patch and new Twins primary logo patch sewn on)!!! I went back that day to see if they had any left, but that was it.

minnesota.jpg

Hmmm...that wordmark seems so familiar...where have I see that before? Hmmmmmmm

Miller%20High%20Life%20Logo020210.jpg

Ok..not quite....but there are definate similarities

• 2 weeks later...

I made my first trip to AJ Wright today. I was a little disappointed. They didn't have nearly as many baseball jerseys as they did this time last year. All they really had was a home Rockies jersey that was a poor condition. They also had Dominican WBC BP Jerseys. I was really tempted to buy since its a cool looking jersey, but since I'm not at all Latino it would be a little weird to wear.

This jersey isn?t from a thrift store but is a gem none the less! Early last month my fiancé was shopping for a Valentines gift for me at Dick?s Sporting Goods. She noticed this jersey on the end of a t-shirt rack that was clearly out of place. She looked over the jersey for a price tag when an older salesman came up and asked her if she needed help. She said she was curious about the price of this Twins jersey. He explained that the jersey shouldn?t have been out on the floor because he didn?t know where it came from there for didn?t know how to price it. He even told her it wasn?t even a real Twins jersey. With the jersey knowledge I have taught her she new this was an authentic jersey. She offered the salesman $20 for the jersey thinking he would say no. But to her surprise he said yes! After getting approval from the store manager he walked her up to the check out counter and gave her the jersey for $20!!! That?s a $175 jersey for $20!!!!

For Valentine?s Day I received a new Under Armour gym bag and a brand new Minnesota Twins Authentic road jersey (even with the 50th Anniversary patch and new Twins primary logo patch sewn on)!!! I went back that day to see if they had any left, but that was it.

minnesota.jpg

That is the greatest deal of all time

raiders-2.png

p1080974b.th.jpgp1080977.th.jpgp1080972.th.jpg

Found this 1980s Lakers warm up set at a thrift store in the Bay Area. From the tags it sounds like it is from 1985-1987. In great shape and really good quality. Just wish I knew more about it/where it was from.

Great find! It's one of Sand Knit's authentic warmup suits (they didn't make replicas in that style), like you say, it's probably from around 1986-87. These retailed for around $120 for both shirt & pants, but you'd probably get double that (at least) on ebay. These things don't turn up too often.

Took an unexpected trip to the states over the weekend, and on the way back I stopped in at a Champs outlet while the little man ran around the mall play area. Managed to find a Replica ($90, dunno what level this drops it at) white Kenji Johjima jersey for $20. Standard navy block/nameplate, but whatever, it's close enough.

I also could have grabbed an alternate Beltra Jersey for $13.50, but the lettering and numbers were way off- block white instead of the silver/teal they actually use. Again, I suppose with a seam-ripper I could have done a quick fix, but I figured I was pushing my luck as it was.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

Hit a couple of Marshalls stores yesterday and I picked these up for $14

DSC04060.jpg

You got hosed! I could get you 3 of those for the price of one in the Detroit area!

On a side note, at the local Salvation Army I picked up a Cutter & Buck 1/4-zip pullover with a Super Bowl XLII embroidered logo on the left chest. I didn't notice until I got home but it also has a small Chevrolet emblem stitched just below the shoulder seam, black just like the shirt so it's barely noticeable. $6, brand new with the tags still on it.

It looks much like this Penn State one which sells for $74 on the CSTV store.

33194-c.jpg

Hit a couple of Marshalls stores yesterday and I picked these up for $14

DSC04060.jpg

You got hosed! I could get you 3 of those for the price of one in the Detroit area!

On a side note, at the local Salvation Army I picked up a Cutter & Buck 1/4-zip pullover with a Super Bowl XLII embroidered logo on the left chest. I didn't notice until I got home but it also has a small Chevrolet emblem stitched just below the shoulder seam, black just like the shirt so it's barely noticeable. $6, brand new with the tags still on it.

It looks much like this Penn State one which sells for $74 on the CSTV store.

33194-c.jpg

Looks like I might have to talk to you about getting the black version of these jerseys :P . I'm happy with paying $7 bucks for each jersey, I was playing the waiting game when they were $15 each (Calvin Johnson's jersey is still $15), and I didn't want to wait for when they hit $5.

Nice pickup at the Salvation Army. My local one never has anything good, and if they do they place it in their "boutique" section and charge way too much.

sig.jpg

Sorry no photos on this nor did I splurge, but the AJ Wright in Woodbridge, VA are selling authentic Nationals (2006/2007 seasons) Home/Road/Alternate jerseys for $30 each.

I was considering going to there next week, but now it's a definite. What hats did they have?

BTW, at the A.J Wright in Baltimore, (Dundalk, right next to Ollie's with $30 CCM replicas)they had several 2003-06 BP caps,and authentic O's roads (with Orioles script)and BP jerseys. I got a D-Backs cap, a 07-09 Royals BP cap, and a Puerto Rico WBC fitted.

Sorry no photos on this nor did I splurge, but the AJ Wright in Woodbridge, VA are selling authentic Nationals (2006/2007 seasons) Home/Road/Alternate jerseys for $30 each.

I was considering going to there next week, but now it's a definite. What hats did they have?

BTW, at the A.J Wright in Baltimore, (Dundalk, right next to Ollie's with $30 CCM replicas)they had several 2003-06 BP caps,and authentic O's roads (with Orioles script)and BP jerseys. I got a D-Backs one, a 07-09 Royals BP, and a Puerto Rico WBC fitted.

Surprisingly, the hat rack wasn't on the wall. It's possible that it was moved.

Almost picked up a Julius Erving red 76ers jersey today at a Village Thrift. It was just a BIT too small. :cursing:

I picked up a 1994 49ers Deion Sanders Jersey today. Wilson Replica.

I'll clean it up and show it off in a little bit. $3.00 at Goodwill.

They also had a Old Cardinals authentic Jersey (#32 Sierra)(NFL) and a Powder Blue Replica Tomlinson.

If only LT didn't play for the Jets now I would have bought it, but as Dolphins Fan/Chargers Fan I couldn't bring myself to do it. $5 each for them.

5cd0422806939bbe71c4668bc7e4fd92.gif

A trip to the Salvation Army yesterday turned up empty, but a trip to the mall today turned out to be quite the "gem"! I happened to go into Champs to check out shoes, and a rack of clearance shirts/jerseys caught my eye. A bunch of LT powder blue Chargers jerseys, a handful of former Pistons jerseys (Billups, McDeyes, Sheed). Then I saw a Minnesota Wild alternate, #10 Gaborik. It was a small, which is fine for me, unless I wear it over a heavy hoodie or something, which I usually do when I go to hockey games. I pulled the tag out and to my pleasant surprise it was marked down from $150 to $39.98! SWEET! Tried it on, fit great, took it up to the register where it rang up for $19.98!! Hell of a deal!! The guy said I got in at just the right time. 3 weeks ago it was regular price.

IMG_0282.jpg

IMG_0283.jpg

IMG_0277.jpg

IMG_0281.jpg

IMG_0275.jpg

Archived