2009-10 NFL off season thread

Saintsfan

Becuase its started already!!

Early news, Shanahan in at the Redskins, Carroll in at the Seahawks. A GM change in Cleveland.

Personally, if they are given time, I think both the coaching hires so far are pretty good. Shanahan obviously has his 2 rings as a head coach, a record of keeping the Broncos competitive. But Carroll has a winning record as an NFL head coach, as well, and 2 playoff appearances in 4 seasons as an NFL head coach, and now a record of working with talented young players.

I am not sure I Would want to step in as a GM at the Browns though, what with Holmgren in as President.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

• Replies 782
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rumours are heating up that the Bills are interested in bringing in The Schottenheimers to head up their coaching staff: Marty as HC with his son Brian as the O-Coordinator, and Brian taking over for Marty when he retires.

Right now, my top choices for the Bills would be:

1) Cowher: The rumour that just won't die...he hasn't officially said "no", but i give it about a 0.001% chance of happening

2) The Schottenheimers

3) Brian Billick

4) Jim Fassel

5) The rest: Leslie Frazier, Russ Grimm, Ron Rivera, Marc Trestman...

Packers need to go sign an Offensive Lineman and draft one. Because both Colledge and Clifton are UFA's.

Top Free Agent offensive lineman

G Jahri Evans

G Logan Mankins

T Marcus McNeil

T Willie Colon

Though I expect most if not all those guys to resign.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

Everyone must have missed the Bears firing just about everyone except Lovie, huh?

Oh, well they did. Perry Fewell is rumored to be coming in as DC

sigpurp.png

---Owner of the NHA's Philadelphia Quakers, the UBA's Chicago Skyliners, and the CFA's Portland Beavers (2010 CFA2 Champions)---

All that means is Lovie must get the Bears to the playoffs next year or he will be fired.

Pretty much, but its progress of some sort

sigpurp.png

---Owner of the NHA's Philadelphia Quakers, the UBA's Chicago Skyliners, and the CFA's Portland Beavers (2010 CFA2 Champions)---

Is this the second coming of the New England Patriots?

Chiefs hire Romeo Crennel as Defensive Coordinator.

An interesting choice. It does seem like Arrowhead stadium is turning into the home of the Patriots Alumni Association. How often does that ever work? Obviously coaching trees are evidence that to an extent putting together a coaching staff that is happy with each other works, but I dunno, trying to recreate the magic somewhere else, that seems destined to failure.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Carroll has a winning record as an NFL head coach...

Pete Carroll went 6-10 as head coach of the New York Jets and failed to make the playoffs. In his three seasons leading the New England Patriots, he led the team to regular-season records of 10-6, 9-7 and 8-8, with playoff marks of 1-1 and 0-1 in the first two years. All in all, Carroll's record as a head coach in the NFL is a less than scintillating 33-31 in the regular-season and 1-2 in the post-season, for a thoroughly mediocre overall mark of 34-33.

Perhaps most telling, Carroll's stints as an NFL head coach saw his teams get progressively worse, whether in season, or over the course of the time he was with them. For instance, the Jets started 6-5 under Carroll, only to lose their last five games in a row to finish 6-10 and out of the playoffs. In New England, Carroll inherited an 11-5 Divisional and Conference Championship team from Bill Parcells. In his first season with the franchise, the team finished a game worse during the regular-season - 10-6 - and was defeated in the divisional round of the playoffs. In his second season in New England, Carroll's Patriots slipped to 9-7 in the regular-season, fell to 4th-place in the AFC East and lost in the Wild Card round of the playoffs. In Carroll's last season at the Pats' helm, the team finished 8-8 and out of the playoffs.

... and 2 playoff appearances in 4 seasons as an NFL head coach

And, as mentioned earlier, a 1-2 record in the playoffs to show for it.

... and now a record of working with talented young players.

And therein lays the problem for Pete Carroll as an NFL head coach. Not every person on an NFL roster is a "talented young player" who finds Carroll's gung-ho, rah-rah, sprint-up-and-down-the-sideline, pump-my-fist-in-the-air, give-impassioned-speeches schtick inspirational. In the NFL, far more players on a roster are older, more jaded professionals who tend to tune-out Carroll's "Joe College" persona. The same mannerisms and coaching style that resonate with college players in their late teens and early twenties, fail to resonate with very many NFL vets.

Further, as the head coach at a storied college powerhouse program such as USC, Carrol enjoyed the fruits of being able to scoop-up all of the recruits he could handle. By comparison, the ability of an NFL franchise to sign talent is constrained by such features as draft positioning and the salary cap, all put in place to create parity between teams. In major-college football, Carroll didn't have to contend with such institution-driven parity and he flourished. In the NFL he will... and I'd be willing to bet he's going to fall flat on his face again.

Carroll has a winning record as an NFL head coach...

Pete Carroll went 6-10 as head coach of the New York Jets and failed to make the playoffs. In his three seasons leading the New England Patriots, he led the team to regular-season records of 10-6, 9-7 and 8-8, with playoff marks of 1-1 and 0-1 in the first two years. All in all, Carroll's record as a head coach in the NFL is a less than scintillating 33-31 in the regular-season and 1-2 in the post-season, for a thoroughly mediocre overall mark of 34-33.

Perhaps most telling, Carroll's stints as an NFL head coach saw his teams get progressively worse, whether in season, or over the course of the time he was with them. For instance, the Jets started 6-5 under Carroll, only to lose their last five games in a row to finish 6-10 and out of the playoffs. In New England, Carroll inherited an 11-5 Divisional and Conference Championship team from Bill Parcells. In his first season with the franchise, the team finished a game worse during the regular-season - 10-6 - and was defeated in the divisional round of the playoffs. In his second season in New England, Carroll's Patriots slipped to 9-7 in the regular-season, fell to 4th-place in the AFC East and lost in the Wild Card round of the playoffs. In Carroll's last season at the Pats' helm, the team finished 8-8 and out of the playoffs.

... and 2 playoff appearances in 4 seasons as an NFL head coach

And, as mentioned earlier, a 1-2 record in the playoffs to show for it.

... and now a record of working with talented young players.

And therein lays the problem for Pete Carroll as an NFL head coach. Not every person on an NFL roster is a "talented young player" who finds Carroll's gung-ho, rah-rah, sprint-up-and-down-the-sideline, pump-my-fist-in-the-air, give-impassioned-speeches schtick inspirational. In the NFL, far more players on a roster are older, more jaded professionals who tend to tune-out Carroll's "Joe College" persona. The same mannerisms and coaching style that resonate with college players in their late teens and early twenties, fail to resonate with very many NFL vets.

Further, as the head coach at a storied college powerhouse program such as USC, Carrol enjoyed the fruits of being able to scoop-up all of the recruits he could handle. By comparison, the ability of an NFL franchise to sign talent is constrained by such features as draft positioning and the salary cap, all put in place to create parity between teams. In major-college football, Carroll didn't have to contend with such institution-driven parity and he flourished. In the NFL he will... and I'd be willing to bet he's going to fall flat on his face again.

I am sure that a Browns fan could have found plenty of criticisms of the Bellichick hire for the Patriots, after Carroll left New England. I am not saying their aren't concerns about Carroll, but give the guy a fair run, and I think he has a decent shot at turning Seattle around.

I think the worry about the lack of success for college coaches in the NFL may well be the most reasonable concern about Carroll, but Carroll does come into the job with more NFL experience than a lot of College to NFL hires.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Only suggestion I have for the Eagles has me channeling President Bush.

"Reid my lips - no more McNabb."

The more I've been thinking about it, and listening to the so-called "insiders" (though I'll grant that the Eagles are the hardest team for anyone to get inside info on), I really think this will finally be the year they send him packing. The timing is just too right this time. I dare you, Andy - complete the youth movement.

If they can continue this decade-long run of being competitive with an offense featuring DeShawn Jackson, Jeremy Maclin, Brent Celek, LaShawn McCoy, and Kevin Kolb, then maybe I'll concede that they may know what they're doing. It would be complete turnover from the beginning of the run (the defense was turned over when they stupidly got rid of Dawkins... and I'm not counting Trotter 3.0 as a holdover.)

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

There is a rumor going round on the sports talk in Phoenix, Carroll wants Leinart and is willing to spend a 2nd and 3rd round pick to get him. No link just yet, but just what i'm hearing

There is a rumor going round on the sports talk in Phoenix, Carroll wants Leinart and is willing to spend a 2nd and 3rd round pick to get him. No link just yet, but just what i'm hearing

Would be a awful move on the Hawks part.

Would be a awful move on the Hawks part.

It true, it looks like we already know how Carroll is going to do in Seattle. If Leinart had anything to offer, smarter NFL coaches than Pete Carroll would have come knocking already. Steve Spurrier thought he could win in the NFL with Danny Weurfel. We saw how that worked out.

BB52Big.jpg

This from SI via The Cleveland Plain Dealer. Looks like BBTV and I may both get our wish... Whatever the case, thank God The Browns are looking for a new QB. The two they have don't add up to one decent QB.

One thing became clear after listening to the Browns' new decision-makers this week: They want to do something about the team's quarterback situation. So it's very possible that the Browns will enter the 2010 season with their eighth starting quarterback in 12 years and seventh in the last eight years. When it comes to finding the next Browns' quarterback, you have to start with Mike Holmgren and Tom Heckert. That leads you to three primary candidates -- Matt Hasselbeck of Seattle, and Donovan McNabb and Kevin Kolb of Philadelphia.

BB52Big.jpg

I cannot imagine them giving up on Kevin Kolb for a guy that has at most a few serviceable years left. I would be extremely upset if they did that.

Here's the thing though - are Holmgren and Heckert dumb enough to give up the draft picks that Reid would want? I'm guessing a 2 and 3, or 2 and conditional 3 or 4 and 5, etc.? Why would a building team want to give up such high draft picks for such a short term solution?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I cannot imagine them giving up on Kevin Kolb for a guy that has at most a few serviceable years left. I would be extremely upset if they did that.

Here's the thing though - are Holmgren and Heckert dumb enough to give up the draft picks that Reid would want? I'm guessing a 2 and 3, or 2 and conditional 3 or 4 and 5, etc.? Why would a building team want to give up such high draft picks for such a short term solution?

We're talking about The Cleveland Browns here.

BB52Big.jpg

All that means is Lovie must get the Bears to the playoffs next year or he will be fired.

Pretty much, but its progress of some sort

No chance. He has two more years on his contract, and by their actions last week signaled that there's very little he could do to be fired with money still owed him.

Archived