2009-10 NFL off season thread

Saintsfan

All that means is Lovie must get the Bears to the playoffs next year or he will be fired.

Pretty much, but its progress of some sort

No chance. He has two more years on his contract, and by their actions last week signaled that there's very little he could do to be fired with money still owed him.

Isn't that just more evidence that Smith needs to get the Bears to win soon? How many NFL teams just let a guy play out the last year of his contract? Isn't it usually extension or good bye at that point?

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

• Replies 782
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sounds like Mike Zimmer signed a three year deal to stay with the Bengals.

Fantastic news. With him sticking around and Antwan Odom, Maualuga, Roy Williams, and the rest of the depleted defense coming back, it looks like the Bengals will have a tough defense for years to come.

Though, the Bengals schedule coming up is rough. Next year they play, the Colts, Chargers, Patriots, Jets, Dolphins, Saints, Falcons, Steelers twice, and the Ravens twice. Ouch.

PvO6ZWJ.png

There is a rumor going round on the sports talk in Phoenix, Carroll wants Leinart and is willing to spend a 2nd and 3rd round pick to get him. No link just yet, but just what i'm hearing

I was wondering if this was a possibility. I haven't seen Hasselback play in years (the last time may have been the Super Bowl), is he done?

I think Leinart could be a decent QB to take a flyer on, especially with Carroll as coach. However I think that a 2nd or 3rd round pick would be way too much to give up. If they could get him for a lower pick and draft a QB as well, I think it would be a decent move.

There is a rumor going round on the sports talk in Phoenix, Carroll wants Leinart and is willing to spend a 2nd and 3rd round pick to get him. No link just yet, but just what i'm hearing

I was wondering if this was a possibility. I haven't seen Hasselback play in years (the last time may have been the Super Bowl), is he done?

I think Leinart could be a decent QB to take a flyer on, especially with Carroll as coach. However I think that a 2nd or 3rd round pick would be way too much to give up. If they could get him for a lower pick and draft a QB as well, I think it would be a decent move.

Carroll picking up Leinart would be the equivalent of Spurrier picking up Danny Wuerffel (and Shane Matthews), awful idea.

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

I cannot imagine them giving up on Kevin Kolb for a guy that has at most a few serviceable years left. I would be extremely upset if they did that.

Here's the thing though - are Holmgren and Heckert dumb enough to give up the draft picks that Reid would want? I'm guessing a 2 and 3, or 2 and conditional 3 or 4 and 5, etc.? Why would a building team want to give up such high draft picks for such a short term solution?

We're talking about The Cleveland Browns here.

So why aren't they making a play for the Michael Vick experience then.

More importantly, aren't there more holes in Cleveland than "Messiahback"?

All that means is Lovie must get the Bears to the playoffs next year or he will be fired.

Pretty much, but its progress of some sort

No chance. He has two more years on his contract, and by their actions last week signaled that there's very little he could do to be fired with money still owed him.

Are there any electrical closets at Halas Hall?

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Carroll picking up Leinart would be the equivalent of Spurrier picking up Danny Wuerffel (and Shane Matthews), awful idea.

Leinart has alot more talent than Wuerffel and Matthews. I can see the comparision, but Leinart was once seen as a possible starting QB. Those guys weren't. A change of scenery may be what Leinart needs (or he may be a bust).

What I'm really trying to say is that if Hasselback is done and the Seahawks can get Leinart cheaply, then he would be a decent 1 year stop gap. I would still think the Seahawks should draft a QB. Maybe Leinart figures out, but if he doesn't nothings hurt as the Seahawks would have their future QB waiting to take over.

Isn't Hasselback more of a west-coast type of QB? Is Carroll going to keep the same type of offense in Seattle, or go to a more opened-up one? Obviously a talented QB should be able to play in just about any system, but some have limitations.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Isn't Hasselback more of a west-coast type of QB? Is Carroll going to keep the same type of offense in Seattle, or go to a more opened-up one? Obviously a talented QB should be able to play in just about any system, but some have limitations.

From what I've heard, Carroll is keeping the West Coast style of offense that was used by Holmgren and Mora as of late and it works. Hasselbeck feels comfortable in this system.

As for Leinart... No. Just no. I'm sorry, but whatever source Gary heard is obviously idiotic. Why would Seattle give up a 2nd or 3rd round pick on a backup QB who hasn't even come close to showing the so-called potential he had when he won the Heisman a few years ago.

Plus, the Seahawks already have a servicable backup QB in Seneca Wallace. Adding Leinart could only mean trouble for Wallace and the 3rd stringer.

While I'm hesitant to trade within the division, I say MAKE IT HAPPEN. With the amount of attention our defense needs, additional picks would enable the Cards to address immediate needs.

However, I think I heard Carroll give a vote of confidence to Hasselback as the QB, so we shall see how this plays out.

(MLF) Chicago Cannons,  (IHA) Phoenix Firebirds - 2021 Xtreme Cup Champions

(WAFL) Phoenix Federals - WAFL World Bowl XII Champions (Defunct)

While I'm hesitant to trade within the division, I say MAKE IT HAPPEN. With the amount of attention our defense needs, additional picks would enable the Cards to address immediate needs.

However, I think I heard Carroll give a vote of confidence to Hasselback as the QB, so we shall see how this plays out.

Trade Leinart to Seattle for those 2nd and 3rd round picks.

Kurt Warner retires.

Trade those 2nd and 3rd round picks for Donovan McNabb.

Make this happen.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Yeah I don't get the Gailey hiring, personally. Interesting that all the teams looking for a new head coach this time around have gone for an experienced guy so far, rather than some up and coming assistant.

Anyone else get the feeling, from this seasons hirings, we have seen the last of Cowher and Gruden on the sidelines? Both seem comfortable settling into the semi retirement of a broadcasting career!

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Yeah I don't get the Gailey hiring, personally. Interesting that all the teams looking for a new head coach this time around have gone for an experienced guy so far, rather than some up and coming assistant.

Anyone else get the feeling, from this seasons hirings, we have seen the last of Cowher and Gruden on the sidelines? Both seem comfortable settling into the semi retirement of a broadcasting career!

I've been saying all along that Cowher isn't coming back. That said, it's probably got more to do with the jobs that are available. If Cowher does come back, it's not going to be to coach Buffalo. Maybe Carolina or Dallas.

BB52Big.jpg

Now wait. Chan Gailey is not that bad - in fact, in four years as head coach of a pro football team, he made the postseason all four years.

On the plus side, I think Gailey is clearly a good football guy. He clearly has some pedigree as a coach, and I don't disagree that he is clearly something of a good offensive mind. And he has only had 1 losing season in any form of football head coaching.

That being said, 2 season with a regular season record of 18-16 with Troy Aikman as QB is hardly inspiring. (Imagine a Coach being hired by the Colts now and winning a combined 18 games in 2 seasons, hardly impressive is it?) I am not sure that World League records should really count too much in peoples thinking here, and his coaching record overall is uninspiring. When you start off you coaching search at Mike Shanahan and Bill Cowher and end it with Chan Gailey, that's disappointing.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Now wait. Chan Gailey is not that bad - in fact, in four years as head coach of a pro football team, he made the postseason all four years.

On the plus side, I think Gailey is clearly a good football guy. He clearly has some pedigree as a coach, and I don't disagree that he is clearly something of a good offensive mind. And he has only had 1 losing season in any form of football head coaching.

That being said, 2 season with a regular season record of 18-16 with Troy Aikman as QB is hardly inspiring. (Imagine a Coach being hired by the Colts now and winning a combined 18 games in 2 seasons, hardly impressive is it?) I am not sure that World League records should really count too much in peoples thinking here, and his coaching record overall is uninspiring. When you start off you coaching search at Mike Shanahan and Bill Cowher and end it with Chan Gailey, that's disappointing.

In the span of three days I have agreed with both WillMorris and Saintsfan. It must be something in the water...

BB52Big.jpg

Buffalo simply cannot lure a high-profile coach to work there. It's not an attractive city, not a great team, not great facilities, and a questionable ownership situation.

I would think that they would go after a "hot" coordinator or assistant, but it seems like recently, even assistants have been turning down interview opportunities (not sure if this happened in Buffalo or not.)

Going with a retread just sends a terrible message to fans and players. Even if he's not a terrible coach, it just shows that they are shooting for mediocrity.

Buffalo simply cannot lure a high-profile coach to work there. It's not an attractive city, not a great team, not great facilities, and a questionable ownership situation.

I would think that they would go after a "hot" coordinator or assistant, but it seems like recently, even assistants have been turning down interview opportunities (not sure if this happened in Buffalo or not.)

Going with a retread just sends a terrible message to fans and players. Even if he's not a terrible coach, it just shows that they are shooting for mediocrity.

Kurt Shottenheimer said thanks but no thanks. I thought I heard that somewhere anyway.

BB52Big.jpg

Archived