Family Crest Redesign

zachintosh66

Question; is this just for fun, or a real change?

Just my opinion, but family crest's should stay as traditional and original as possible.

Beyond that, it does look good. Like the first redesign more than where you're going with the second.

barca.png

i think once you change any sort of heraldry (removing colour fields and motos etc) it ceases to be a family crest anymore.

in the same way that changing the letters in a word, destroy the meaning for the reader. you could perhaps redesign it keeping the

colours and lion all in tact (i guess to continue with the analogy, this would be akin to changing the font), but to remove elements, is

to cuase it to no longer be the heffran crest. thats gaelic text right?

i think once you change any sort of heraldry (removing colour fields and motos etc) it ceases to be a family crest anymore.

in the same way that changing the letters in a word, destroy the meaning for the reader. you could perhaps redesign it keeping the

colours and lion all in tact (i guess to continue with the analogy, this would be akin to changing the font), but to remove elements, is

to cuase it to no longer be the heffran crest. thats gaelic text right?

You are correct.

The things he is deleting have meaning:

The Red shows warrior or military strength

The Yellow/Gold is for Generosity and elevation of the mind

See here for more:

http://www.fleurdelis.com/meanings.htm

It looks good, but the 3 crescents up top don't seem to match with the rest of the crest. They look too 3-D compared to everything else [or maybe it's the lion that looks too flat].

Anyway, this'll sound a bit naive, but where do people get family crests from?

crestupdate.png

Here is what I would do.

I woul'd use the sheild on the left but here are the changes I would make.

#1 I would make the long yellow stripe red instead.

#2 I would use an updated version of the lion from the original. That lion head doesn't seem to be family crest material to me, however the orignial one does.

Good topic.

-Dan

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

Archived